• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, paqart said:

That example is unrelated to the subject here. Comics have become watered down in recent years for the sake of "tolerance" but have at the same time become intolerant of so many other things that there is hardly anything left to construct a story around. It reminds me of when I spent six weeks in China, and everyone was afraid to say what was on their mind. Military police were everywhere, and everyone was watched by their neighbors. It was quite unsettling. 

That's why I said it depends. 

And it is related because while you see something as 'fine' others do not and of course vice-versa. 

But, you are free to write or draw anything you want.  Others are free to not patronize it.   That does not make them 'intolerant'.  It makes them unwilling to spend their money on something designed for entertainment that they do not find entertaining. 

Let's take an extreme example again.  Make believe you decide to publish a book consisting of paintings of murdered children at the scene of the crime.  You publish it under the guise of being 'thought provoking' and 'artistic freedom'' as a form of entertainment.  People may not find it entertainment.  They have every right not buy it or ever patronize the artistic team behind it.

What obligation do I or anyone have to financially patronize that which we do not find entertaining or of personal value? 

It reminds me of when I spent six weeks in China, and everyone was afraid to say what was on their mind. Military police were everywhere, and everyone was watched by their neighbors. It was quite unsettling. 

I lived in China for 7 years.  Neither me, nor anyone around me, was afraid to say what was on their mind.  Military police were less noticeable than in NYC.  And no one was watched by their neighbors, unless you mean old people with nothing better to do, just like anywhere else.  Respectfully, I think in your short time there you saw what you wanted to see.

Comics have become watered down in recent years for the sake of "tolerance" but have at the same time become intolerant of so many other things that there is hardly anything left to construct a story around.

That point is moot but I would say that the blurb marketing your comic also turned me off. I am 55 and have been registered with both major US parties in my lifetime but right away I wasn't interested. And I was there to give a boardie support. (shrug)

On 1/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, Poekaymon said:

I lived in China for 7 years.  Neither me, nor anyone around me, was afraid to say what was on their mind.  Military police were less noticeable than in NYC.  And no one was watched by their neighbors, unless you mean old people with nothing better to do, just like anywhere else.  Respectfully, I think in your short time there you saw what you wanted to see.

I was in the industrial part of Suzhou, as art director on some animation being done for a Scooby-Doo project. To get into the animation studio, we first had to go through a gate manned at all times by about 6 rifle-toting military police in a modest guardhouse. My hotel had soldiers with rifles at the entrance to the building. On many occasions, I witnessed them supervising the work of elderly prisoners. The animation director who accompanied me on the trip took photographs of many of the soldiers, two of whom followed us everywhere we went, as we can easily see by looking at my colleagues photos, because he made an effort to get snapshots of them wherever we were. As for conversations, when people wanted to ask me personal questions, such as one employee of the studio who wanted to know if I believed in God, he first made up a pretext and then brought me to a crowded shopping plaza about an hour away so that he could ask me. Many of the people there asked me or my colleague for help getting out of the country. This is what I saw. What you saw may have been different but these observations of ours, whatever they are, are not mutually exclusive.

Attached are some of the sketches I made in China during breaks from work.

101000.jpg

101400.jpg

100700.jpg

D102400a.jpg

D110200b.jpg

Worker.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 1/17/2022 at 1:41 PM, paqart said:

I was in the industrial part of Suzhou, as art director on some animation being done for a Scooby-Doo project. ...This is what I saw. What you saw may have been different but these observations of ours, whatever they are, are not mutually exclusive.

Sure--I'm just offering an alternative perspective based on a 60x longer visit.  I can't speak for certain high security animation studios in Suzhou--maybe they do treat those like a military installation.  I can only tell you that based on my own near-decade there, what you experienced isn't the norm--even within Suzhou, a city I have been to many times.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:38 AM, paqart said:

That example is unrelated to the subject here. Comics have become watered down in recent years for the sake of "tolerance" but have at the same time become intolerant of so many other things that there is hardly anything left to construct a story around. It reminds me of when I spent six weeks in China, and everyone was afraid to say what was on their mind. Military police were everywhere, and everyone was watched by their neighbors. It was quite unsettling. 

Let's just call a spade now that you've introduced it here. He's a member of the alt-right Comicsgate 'movement' which is still going on, just on such a small scale it hardly bears mention. That's why I cringed at the mention of Chuck Dixon, that's where his most recent work has been, but I didn't want to judge you on 1 book alone. Now you've made your stance clear.

The whole thing started because a photo circulated of a group of female Marvel employees having a milkshake in honour of legendary Marvel assistant Flo. This set off a group of guys who didn't want women in their comics, and the stupidest movement ever was born. It's supposed to be about taking politics out of comics, like Stan Lee. Of course, we could all show a hundred examples of Lee getting political for his time, and he never shied away from such themes. It's about sexism, mysogyny, racism, the usual -isms. Ethan Van Sciver is kinda it's leader. They call him Caesar. Seriously. Looking at Paqart's book he linked shows what is believed to be a non-political book suitable for everyone, like in the good old days of Marvel. 

So no, I don't think your rubbish belongs here, but that's not for me to say, and this will be my only post on it. For more info, google it, folks. 

I genuinely wish you well, Paqart, and that you can see through the BS you're living atm. You're talented and creative, you could be doing so much more. 

On 1/17/2022 at 3:36 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Let's just call a spade now that you've introduced it here. He's a member of the alt-right Comicsgate 'movement' which is still going on, just on such a small scale it hardly bears mention. That's why I cringed at the mention of Chuck Dixon, that's where his most recent work has been, but I didn't want to judge you on 1 book alone. Now you've made your stance clear.

The whole thing started because a photo circulated of a group of female Marvel employees having a milkshake in honour of legendary Marvel assistant Flo. This set off a group of guys who didn't want women in their comics, and the stupidest movement ever was born. It's supposed to be about taking politics out of comics, like Stan Lee. Of course, we could all show a hundred examples of Lee getting political for his time, and he never shied away from such themes. It's about sexism, mysogyny, racism, the usual -isms. Ethan Van Sciver is kinda it's leader. They call him Caesar. Seriously. Looking at Paqart's book he linked shows what is believed to be a non-political book suitable for everyone, like in the good old days of Marvel. 

So no, I don't think your rubbish belongs here, but that's not for me to say, and this will be my only post on it. For more info, google it, folks. 

I genuinely wish you well, Paqart, and that you can see through the BS you're living atm. You're talented and creative, you could be doing so much more. 

He's involved in that nonsense? 

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

To evoke Father Ernest again, "The beautiful thing about this country is that everyone has the God given right to be stupid."

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, Buzzetta said:

He's involved in that nonsense? 

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

To evoke Father Ernest again, "The beautiful things about this country is that everyone has the God given right to be stupid."

Mockery is always careless. It does you no credit.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, paqart said:

Mockery is always careless. It does you no credit.

Oh no.  I wasn't being careless.  It was pretty carefully directed. 

The people involved in that nonsense are fools. 

And credit?  

From who?  

You? 

If I have very carefully directed my mockery to anyone who believes in that nonsense then why on Earth would I ever care if those people held me in any regard?  If anything I am proud for those nutjobs to dislike people like me.  

lol Ooopsies... 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:01 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They do still lock /poof some.

Just a lot less. 

When?!  Have not seen one in awhile. 

Like Bird, I looked at his book because I was genuinely interested in supporting a board ie, but then everything started to fall into place, and besides it sounding terrible, I couldn't in good conscience support it anyway, no matter how badly I may have wanted it. I'm not putting money into these people's pockets. 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:05 PM, Buzzetta said:

Some were just small quick short lived  /derail and a couple of the announcement/mod threads . Although the short lived usually go poof.. 

There have been a couple that as soon as I saw them I went to post and they vanished.  

On 1/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Bird said:

nah, they just wipe it clean these days

you're hung up on some clown from the 60s man!

On 1/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, Buzzetta said:

Just give it time boys!
Someone needs to climb a bit with the political  talk and then the lock will go from ease a bit to climb a bit! 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, alexgross.com said:

i guess i'm trying to say that just like with the bogus super mario graded video game that they 'sold' for a record price, and which was all over the news, it's so easy for large auction houses to play games and publicize results that we cannot know are for sure legitimate. 

On what basis or proof is there that the Super Mario graded video game auction result was "not real" or is this just a conspiracy theory here?  ???