• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

340 posts in this topic

The 3 images are the actual copy?  Looks like three staples (and the bottom one being pretty damn shiny), and the back cover looks incredibly white. 

Personally, I'd have to have the book in hand before making judgement (even I I knew the specifics on the various reprints which I'm still unclear on) to see if it handles like a magazine that's been around for 70 years.  Add the fact it's such an iconic issue, often traded and in high demand, and I'd be super skeptical.  Also, for what it's worth, the original owner would need to be about 90 years old.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, Darwination said:

And how is the motherin mailman gonna get an oversized mag in your mail box minus a stiff boards? Fold it, that's how.  I had my last mailman trained and gave him a big tin of chocolate covered pecans every Christmas.  The new guy is looking for a foot in the .  Cardboard makes them bring it to the door.

I'm painting up the mother of all mailboxes right now.  I'm just too tired of having that stuff happen to all my packages.  The current people (no longer just one mailperson) leave packages out on the long driveway in the rain (F*$@%#).  This new mailbox is 2.5ft long by 1ft tall.  Problem is, you give a mouse a cookie...

On 2/15/2024 at 6:41 PM, Yorick said:

I'm painting up the mother of all mailboxes right now.  I'm just too tired of having that stuff happen to all my packages.  The current people (no longer just one mailperson) leave packages out on the long driveway in the rain (F*$@%#).  This new mailbox is 2.5ft long by 1ft tall.  Problem is, you give a mouse a cookie...

My book today was fortunately fairly low grade from the get go.  No fault to the mailperson today, but what seller sends a comic with a piece of cardboard that's smaller than the comic?  Not even a backing board, I can almost understand that error, but a piece of corrugated cardboard.

Thank you for your kind follow up and interest.

Yes the 3 pictures are the actual copy.  I asked for images of the centerfold and outer spine showing all staples as well as the whole page 3 to see if it's numbered.

Given the significance and printing history of this issue, I'm thinking by now, there should be an authority, a website by some individual or organization with knowledge of facts we know about each original and each reprint. 

Good point about age of actual owner.  The seller said he is a friend of the actual owner who asked for help selling.

I am super skeptical as well.

I think I see the 3dr staple in the picture. 

For some reason I can't increase the picture size for the image I posted to the CGC forum.  An issue I need to solve...

But I increased the original image on my desktop and it sure looks like there's 3 staples.  Which would be the 2014 reprint.

Thanks again for all the help.

I went on HA to look at Playboy #1 out of curiosity, 357 copies in the census.  Is there any other magazine that comes close to having that number?  I was trying to think of any other magazine that might even come closes in terms of desirability and couldn't come up with any. (120 grand for a 9.4 last year, WOW).  The first Tarzan All-Story from the pulps might be a distant second in terms of value, but what else?  In the comic magazines, the most valuable book is Eerie #1 or Vampi #1?  Maybe some special issue of Sports Illustrated?

Outside of the pulps, I feel like the main problem I have finding a magazine is scarcity versus cost.  And, hell, that's the bigger problem in the pulps most of the time, too (granted, I'm hunting obscurities)...

EDIT:  NVM, 1,065 copies of Vampi #1 in the census?!?

On 2/16/2024 at 3:09 PM, Darwination said:

I went on HA to look at Playboy #1 out of curiosity, 357 copies in the census.  Is there any other magazine that comes close to having that number?  I was trying to think of any other magazine that might even come closes in terms of desirability and couldn't come up with any. (120 grand for a 9.4 last year, WOW).  The first Tarzan All-Story from the pulps might be a distant second in terms of value, but what else?  In the comic magazines, the most valuable book is Eerie #1 or Vampi #1?  Maybe some special issue of Sports Illustrated?

Outside of the pulps, I feel like the main problem I have finding a magazine is scarcity versus cost.  And, hell, that's the bigger problem in the pulps most of the time, too (granted, I'm hunting obscurities)...

EDIT:  NVM, 1,065 copies of Vampi #1 in the census?!?

Screenshot2024-02-17at10_29_37AM.thumb.png.e449cfad9d66434c6b21d83a33818445.png

Here's a contender.

In today, has a signed Maneely and a couple pages of likely Jack Davis but it's mostly photogags (albeit pretty cool).  Likely Stan Lee behind the photogags, he was a funny guy :kidaround:

Bunkv01n01(1956-02.Atlas)coverMarilynMonroe.thumb.jpg.6809284a3910c47a91e2ed46f1b0e9d2.jpg

And, of course, it's rare for me to actually beat out MM collectors on just about anything (even if it's not exactly a standout MM cover).  The graphics riff on Confidential or Hush Hush and that school -

I'm trying to identify a confusing version of the 1953 Playboy #1. "Page 3" is printed on the first page proper, and there's no red star on the front. The binding has two staples, which is supposed to identify it as an original. Still, the black box at the top right is rectangle-shaped, which I've read is characteristic of the 2007 reprint. This box doesn't go all the way to the edge of the front cover and its top edge is completely straight whereas its other three edges are raggedy. Looks to me like an error, like they printed the cover at the wrong size before trimming, so the bleed area is visible. The other black boxes on the front and back have the same issue.

To make things weirder, there are only two staples in the inside spread where the backs of the staples show through, but you can see images of three distinct sets of staple marks. Like it was printed from a scan. Anyone ever see anything like this?

20240213_025756 - Copy.jpg

20240213_025728 - Copy.jpg

20240213_025847 - Copy.jpg

On 2/22/2024 at 1:30 PM, strnogbaf said:

20240213_025728 - Copy.jpg

This image alone makes it a "pass" for me.  Appears to be a photocopy... and a terrible one.  Then someone spilled some goo on it to make it look aged?  Seriously?  Make a better fake.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:01 PM, Jayman said:

inspired by Eastwood

Van Cleef, Jackman, and who's the lady?

Do you think Hex would stick the cigarette through his "flesh hole" to smoke?  :nyah: