• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Heading into the final week of the auction, here's the current Top 10 (excluding the Fraz dino painting)

1. Kirby TOS splash = 456K

2. Romita ASM 50 page = 156K

3. Miller DKR 3 cover = 144K

4. Cockrum X-Men 106 cover = 93K

5. Buscema What If #1 cover = 78K

6. Lee Wolverine 24 cover = 75K

7. Buscema Avengers 85p1 splash = 63K

8. Byrne Xmen 137 page = 59K

9. Lee Xmen 271p4 = 55K

10. Dringenberg Sandman 8 page = 53K

Still plenty of room for increases for each of the Top 10 items, especially the bottom 5 items on the list.

Lots of room indeed, in fact I'm calling the Kirby TOS splash to bust $1,000,000 on auction day. It seems a few serious collectors have taken stock of what's out there in the way of Kirby Cap splashes.... this issue always desirable to comic collectors and I think it's part of what's driving that bidding. Another is that this very attractive splash is released along with the complete set of pages. That seems to push the splash up. It was a factor I believe with the FF2 Kirby Doom splash at HA when the entire story came up (maybe missing 1 page?)Besides your top 10 (thanks) I think there are plenty of other sleepers.

*TOS 39 p 12 = $51k  Not for the aesthetic, page is light on the Ironman, but man o man the first ever appearance. Seems destined to fly well over $100k

*Jim Lee and Scott Williams Uncanny X-Men 274 DPS p 2-3 = $42k Lee's got two in the top ten already  and this one feels like an auction day bloomer.

*Mad #9 Cover Kurtzman = $59k  Yes Virginia there is a field of OA outside the superhero genre. GrapeApe prays for mad money when he sees coolness such as this.

*Judge Dredd #4 Cover Bolland = $48k It's a superb cover and it no doubt will take many more bids on last call day.

*Avengers 1 p 2 Kirby = $33,600 You could've had this page or a hand full of others from issue 1 for around $4k twenty years ago. This one will more than double it's current price by auctions end I'm guessing.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:34 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Prices at Metropolis always seem to be “Leveling Up” :roflmao:

A business (or seller or salesperson) wanting someone one to purchase from them and saying anything they need to encourage that.  What a unique concept :sigh  

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/6/2022 at 4:56 AM, grapeape said:

Lots of room indeed, in fact I'm calling the Kirby TOS splash to bust $1,000,000 on auction day. It seems a few serious collectors have taken stock of what's out there in the way of Kirby Cap splashes.... this issue always desirable to comic collectors and I think it's part of what's driving that bidding. Another is that this very attractive splash is released along with the complete set of pages. That seems to push the splash up. It was a factor I believe with the FF2 Kirby Doom splash at HA when the entire story came up (maybe missing 1 page?)Besides your top 10 (thanks) I think there are plenty of other sleepers.

*TOS 39 p 12 = $51k  Not for the aesthetic, page is light on the Ironman, but man o man the first ever appearance. Seems destined to fly well over $100k

*Jim Lee and Scott Williams Uncanny X-Men 274 DPS p 2-3 = $42k Lee's got two in the top ten already  and this one feels like an auction day bloomer.

*Mad #9 Cover Kurtzman = $59k  Yes Virginia there is a field of OA outside the superhero genre. GrapeApe prays for mad money when he sees coolness such as this.

*Judge Dredd #4 Cover Bolland = $48k It's a superb cover and it no doubt will take many more bids on last call day.

*Avengers 1 p 2 Kirby = $33,600 You could've had this page or a hand full of others from issue 1 for around $4k twenty years ago. This one will more than double it's current price by auctions end I'm guessing.

Agree on the Lee/Williams X-MEN DPS. That is a real beaut. I can see that one blowing up in the live session

I don't keep very close track of J Buscema prices, but with the exception of the What If #1 cover, prices for his stuff seemed a bit light to me.  I also thought the Byrne Xmen 137 page and the Cockrum X-Men 106 cover were soft given today's OA market.  (shrug)

Thoughts?

On 4/7/2022 at 1:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't keep very close track of J Buscema prices, but with the exception of the What If #1 cover, prices for his stuff seemed a bit light to me.  I also thought the Byrne Xmen 137 page and the Cockrum X-Men 106 cover were soft given today's OA market.  (shrug)

Thoughts?

I was going to say the same.  The X-Men 106 cover going for less than half of the 107 cover last auction surprised me.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:56 AM, grapeape said:

um, sold for $630K :tonofbricks:

On 4/8/2022 at 1:45 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 4/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, grapeape said:

Expand  

um, sold for $630K :tonofbricks:

Funny you guys are actually disappointed.  I think it's insane that it went for this much.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thoughts?

Someone stole that X-Men #106 cover. Highway robbery compared to where other stuff, often not as good, is selling for in this market.

That and the Dazzler #1 cover were the two lots that seemed VERY light relative to my pre-auction expectations.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:03 PM, fsumavila said:

Agree on the Lee/Williams X-MEN DPS. That is a real beaut. I can see that one blowing up in the live session

Wow, $180K. Beautiful DPS for sure, but, I didn't think a Magneto/Rogue/Ka-zar//Zabu DPS was going to get to that kind of price. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:34 PM, Kryptic1 said:

I was going to say the same.  The X-Men 106 cover going for less than half of the 107 cover last auction surprised me.

The X-men #106 cover image is really weak compared with most other Cockrum X-Men covers, so I'm not too surprised.  I'm a huge Cockrum fan and this really didn't appeal to me.  This was also hurt by the bad yellowing and the fact that this was the cover to a crappy fill-in issue that fell outside of the Chris Claremont continuity.  I think we'll see another strong result if a better Cockrum cover comes to auction soon -- I'm sure #104 would do great for example.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, delekkerste said:

Wow, $180K. Beautiful DPS for sure, but, I didn't think a Magneto/Rogue/Ka-zar//Zabu DPS was going to get to that kind of price. 

I wonder how insane the X-Men #271 page will get tomorrow - that's a page that has a lot going for it with splash-y images of both Wolverine and Psylocke. 

$264K for the DKR #3 cover.  Yikes.  I took the over on $400K. :blush: 

I mean, I know it's a tiny piece of actual art, but, there are so many buyers out there these days who don't know/don't care about details like that...I really thought it would go a lot higher.