• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, ThothAmon said:

Any idea what this Buscema cover might go for?  Asking for a friend. 

image.jpg

This cover was going for $550 back in 1997:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/king-conan-1-cover

Maybe add two zeros to that price today?  I can't guess art prices anymore for the life of me, but $55K seems kind of reasonable.  Then again, it's a "first issue", so maybe double it to $110K.  

On 3/29/2022 at 11:49 AM, Lee B. said:

Maybe add two zeros to that price today?  I can't guess art prices anymore for the life of me, but $55K seems kind of reasonable.  Then again, it's a "first issue", so maybe double it to $110K.  

Easily will bring $55k

Buscema, first issue , a nice portrayal on Conan vs his arch nemesis

Alot going for it!

On 3/29/2022 at 11:49 AM, Lee B. said:

Easily will bring $55k

Alot going for it!

There is obviously a Spider-Man premium, but this seems to be the highest priced Ayers solo panel page ever, and there’s still 9 days to go.  
Technically only spider’s 8th appearance so probably a steal even at that price

C99B7103-17AD-4D21-A53D-051967E5880A.thumb.jpeg.74b9e908370837d92c90e6a96490003d.jpeg

Edited by Grant Turner

On 3/29/2022 at 3:58 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Easily will bring $55k

Alot going for it!

Would be interesting if it ended at $55K+.

as far as I can tell, the current high for a Buscema Conan cover is $31K.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:26 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Would be interesting if it ended at $55K+.

as far as I can tell, the current high for a Buscema Conan cover is $31K.

$31k in 2017 (such a long time ago! ^^)
https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/john-buscema-conan-the-barbarian-124-cover-original-art-marvel-1981-/a/7166-92060.s

and the second highest price at auction is $26k in 2019
https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/john-buscema-and-john-romita-sr-conan-the-barbarian-59-cover-original-art-marvel-1976-/a/7212-91007.s

...both of them being far more desirable from my point of view.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:39 AM, NicoV said:

You know, looking at these two examples I don't agree they are better when it comes to pricing. The JB/EC style artwork is one of the most desired art combos for the character if not the most desired. Its from the right era, its the right villain, its a great image, and its an issue 1. Plus adding how "special" pricing is right now in this industry, I see this being well over 50k.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:21 PM, Timely said:

Bechara had the What If #1 cover in SD back in 2018 for around 70k. I didn’t buy it, but at least I have a nice partial splash from #1.

it was 65k in 2019 in SD!

I'm dumb and I'm sure HA.com explains this, but they really could make it clearer.  I'm looking to make my first ever bid on a piece this time around.  I see payment occurs via the MyOrders section of the account and that they accept wire, check, credit card, etc.  Credit cards incur a 2.5% surcharge.  Is there any information I need to enter before bidding or potentially winning an auction?  Or are all the details filled out in the MyOrders page once the auction ends?  Also, how do the live auctions work?  Like if I'm outbid during the live auction portion, how would I go about increasing my existing bid?  I'll likely call the office on Monday morning for clarification, but thought I'd ask here first because I know everyone here is a pro with OA auctions.  Thanks in advance.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:22 AM, ExNihilo said:

I'm dumb and I'm sure HA.com explains this, but they really could make it clearer.  I'm looking to make my first ever bid on a piece this time around.  I see payment occurs via the MyOrders section of the account and that they accept wire, check, credit card, etc.  Credit cards incur a 2.5% surcharge.  Is there any information I need to enter before bidding or potentially winning an auction?  Or are all the details filled out in the MyOrders page once the auction ends?  Also, how do the live auctions work?  Like if I'm outbid during the live auction portion, how would I go about increasing my existing bid?  I'll likely call the office on Monday morning for clarification, but thought I'd ask here first because I know everyone here is a pro with OA auctions.  Thanks in advance.

You increase your bid on-line during the live portion by first signing in and then following the bidding until your desired piece is up. Then, if you want to bid, type it in and confirm. Try a dry run on another piece by putting in an early bid which you know will lose. Try it early, or you may become the unfortunate owner of something else (which is how I once ended up with a Phantom Sunday section).

The Frazetta dinosaur painting has a reserve of $420k.

Amazing that a Frazetta painting from his peak period could now go for less than the splash from a minor SA key.  Admittedly it's not one of his top pieces, but still.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:22 AM, ExNihilo said:

Prior to the live auction, you can raise your bid on the page for each piece. During the live auction, there's a new web page available on which each auction item gets its turn, with bidding continuing until everyone stops, and a winner is declared. You should tune in to some other auction that Heritage is running right now, to see how it works, before the auction of your actual interest begins.

You can put in your credit card information once you receive an invoice for your winning bids. Be aware that they don't take American Express.

Welcome to the  auction market!

On 4/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, tth2 said:

The Frazetta dinosaur painting has a reserve of $420k.

Amazing that a Frazetta painting from his peak period could now go for less than the splash from a minor SA key.  Admittedly it's not one of his top pieces, but still.

I think the TOS 59 will go for more although I'm a bit shocked at quite how fast its already taken off.    

Heading into the final week of the auction, here's the current Top 10 (excluding the Fraz dino painting)

1. Kirby TOS splash = 456K

2. Romita ASM 50 page = 156K

3. Miller DKR 3 cover = 144K

4. Cockrum X-Men 106 cover = 93K

5. Buscema What If #1 cover = 78K

6. Lee Wolverine 24 cover = 75K

7. Buscema Avengers 85p1 splash = 63K

8. Byrne Xmen 137 page = 59K

9. Lee Xmen 271p4 = 55K

10. Dringenberg Sandman 8 page = 53K

Still plenty of room for increases for each of the Top 10 items, especially the bottom 5 items on the list.