• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 7:59 PM, kbmcvay said:

Romitaman had this Kirby FF page for sale a few years back for around $15K (might have been $16K). So far it is much lower than that at $1,620 with the juice. 

The Great Crash is finally here! :ohnoez:

Oh, wait, the auction still has 18 days to go! 

On 3/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, tth2 said:

The Great Crash is finally here! :ohnoez:

Oh, wait, the auction still has 18 days to go! 

Wasn't really insinuating that but okay be condescending Mr. Stranger on the Internet, Just pointing it out as I'm curious where it ends up after those 18 days. Maybe it passes what it presumably sold for a few years ago and maybe it doesn't. I'm looking forward to finding out and maybe other people are too, which is why I pointed it out on here.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

I'm curious about the Death of Superman pages.  This was such an event when it happened ... mores than the black costume.  I wonder if it will translate to interest now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/jim-aparo-and--giordano-batman-497-story-page-22-original-art-dc-1993-/a/7270-91001.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

This too. Remember the day I was reading it. I was upset. The good ol days when you got upset over the important things. 

On 3/20/2022 at 7:38 AM, kbmcvay said:

Wasn't really insinuating that but okay be condescending Mr. Stranger on the Internet, Just pointing it out as I'm curious where it ends up after those 18 days. Maybe it passes what it presumably sold for a few years ago and maybe it doesn't. I'm looking forward to finding out and maybe other people are too, which is why I pointed it out on here.

If you are really interested in that, you have to wait until the final hammer.  Trying to draw any conclusion at this point is pointless.  I have seen most items slowly climb from the auction start to a day before it closes on line bidding, pop the last day of internet bidding and then potentially explode during the live bidding.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, kbmcvay said:

Over $20k. 
Don’t forget that every time you bid, you create a new price floor for other bidders to add on top of it. Since no one wants to lose by a bid increment, and we all have budgets, it makes sense to hold your fire to the end to help keep the final price down. So, don’t expect the high prices until the very end.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Over $20k. 
Don’t forget that every time you bid, you create a new price floor for other bidders to add on top of it. Since no one wants to lose by a bid increment, and we all have budgets, it makes sense to hold your fire to the end to help keep the final price down. So, don’t expect the high prices until the very end.

But some pieces do achieve high prices early (including in this April Heritage auction) so it depends on the piece. Again, I realize that there are many days left and that it can have a lot of activity as the auction draws to a close. All I was doing was pointing out it was at about 10% of the last assumed sale price at this moment, not that it was going to sell for that price with several days left. I'm watching it to see what happens and I was letting others know so they could do the same. Maybe it goes for over 20k, maybe it doesn't. I honestly didn't expect people to try to mock me or explain how auctions work by saying "So far it is much lower than that at $1,620 with the juice", which was an FYI more than anything.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, batman_fan said:

If you are really interested in that, you have to wait until the final hammer.  Trying to draw any conclusion at this point is pointless.  I have seen most items slowly climb from the auction start to a day before it closes on line bidding, pop the last day of internet bidding and then potentially explode during the live bidding.

I wasn't drawing any conclusions. Just stating a fact at that particular moment in time and so if people were interested they could have a comparison point (the Romitaman price) for what the final hammer price was. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Edited by kbmcvay

On 3/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, batman_fan said:

Not always true as I’d rather thin the herd. Removes bidders that might get caught up in the moment. It essentially turns into a reserve.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, kbmcvay said:

But some pieces do achieve high prices early (including in this April Heritage auction) so it depends on the piece. Again, I realize that there are many days left and that it can have a lot of activity as the auction draws to a close. All I was doing was pointing out it was at about 10% of the last assumed sale price at this moment, not that it was going to sell for that price with several days left. I'm watching it to see what happens and I was letting others know so they could do the same. Maybe it goes for over 20k, maybe it doesn't. I honestly didn't expect people to try to mock me or explain how auctions work by saying "So far it is much lower than that at $1,620 with the juice", which was an FYI more than anything.

What I don’t understand is having so many pages from the storyline available at one time.  I get that the seller may be attempting to capitalize on the previous HA results in order to strike while the market is on fire, but with this number of pages available from the Death of Supes, it can only cannibalize sales prices

On 3/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, jsylvester said:

Not always true as I’d rather thin the herd. Removes bidders that might get caught up in the moment. It essentially turns into a reserve.

However, an early reveal can also provide competitors with additional time to raise funds and/or alter their thoughts upwards as to what their maximum bid should be

On 3/20/2022 at 3:23 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

However, an early reveal can also provide competitors with additional time to raise funds and/or alter their thoughts upwards as to what their maximum bid should be

I’m fine with that. All of my best art was won at high prices at the time. Not that many collectors will go where I’m willing to go for what I love.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

What I don’t understand is having so many pages from the storyline available at one time.  I get that the seller may be attempting to capitalize on the previous HA results in order to strike while the market is on fire, but with this number of pages available from the Death of Supes, it can only cannibalize sales prices

It’s a buying opportunity for sure

On 3/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, jsylvester said:

I have also used that approach, but I think it is counterproductive except in situations where there are not to a lot of highly interested bidders. I think it will knock out the bidders who aren’t that into it, but if they are, they are likely to match you.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, kbmcvay said:

Yes, they do. But would they have achieved it anyway?

On 3/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This has happened to me more times than I can remember (most recent being the Hakes Aurora model auction).  I set my limit.  Item surpasses that limit ahead of live bidding, I up my limit.  Hakes had an Aurora Batmobile model kit, 1st series. I didn't even know there was a 1st series.  I estimated $1600 as my limit and ended up bidding to $2162 in live bidding.  Why? someone outbid me and I justified in my mind to bid higher than my prior limit.  I basically said "I will bid it up high enough to be the high bidder and then let the chips go where they may."

On 3/20/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I have also used that approach, but I think it is counterproductive except in situations where there are not to a lot of highly interested bidders. I think it will knock out the bidders who aren’t that into it, but if they are, they are likely to match you.

There are collectors that don’t feel comfortable going over $20k or whatever number they deem too high respective to their income or savings. I know there’s a lot of interest but the demographics for what I like are still relatively young which should hopefully hold prices down. Hopefully 

On 3/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, jsylvester said:

There are collectors that don’t feel comfortable going over $20k or whatever number they deem too high respective to their income or savings. I know there’s a lot of interest but the demographics for what I like are still relatively young which should hopefully hold prices down. Hopefully 

There are a lot of older collectors who feel the same way, including me. Some of the younger ones, however, have enjoyed an embarrassment of riches, so to speak, and don’t seem to mind. Others don’t mind so much as they buy with the intent to sell and “move up.” So, some of the relatively new stuff has enjoyed a lot of appreciation. 

I don’t sell what I buy, and I cannot get over the view that the established pricing market is sort of nuts. And, I also don’t think there is a qualitative difference in many cases to justify the price differences—more a matter of nostalgia and artistic style than out and out quality. Almost anything published by the Big Two will be very good, some a bit better, some not.  The key is to focus on what you like, not to pay much attention to what everyone else tells you is good, and enjoy the fun of ownership. Bank the difference, and buy a Miata (or something similar) with a stick shift. Now that is money well spent.😉

On 3/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, Rick2you2 said:

There are a lot of older collectors who feel the same way, including me. Some of the younger ones, however, have enjoyed an embarrassment of riches, so to speak, and don’t seem to mind. Others don’t mind so much as they buy with the intent to sell and “move up.” So, some of the relatively new stuff has enjoyed a lot of appreciation. 

I don’t sell what I buy, and I cannot get over the view that the established pricing market is sort of nuts. And, I also don’t think there is a qualitative difference in many cases to justify the price differences—more a matter of nostalgia and artistic style than out and out quality. Almost anything published by the Big Two will be very good, some a bit better, some not.  The key is to focus on what you like, not to pay much attention to what everyone else tells you is good, and enjoy the fun of ownership. Bank the difference, and buy a Miata (or something similar) with a stick shift. Now that is money well spent.😉

Agree and probably should have stated $40k the way things look today. I remember $20k being my ceiling a decade ago and wish I went higher. There’s a lot of new money and have already prepared myself for the fact I too will be priced out on some stuff as these stories mature. I only buy what I love which has helped me hold everything even as prices go up. I think collectors that love art are less likely to sell which keeps the supply low. I’d bank the difference but have attachment issues.