• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2022 at 6:40 AM, SuperBird said:

A 6-year old Nexus page went for $9600. I feel like I'm SOOOooooo out of touch with the market...

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.39.48 AM.png

This was the only piece I was tracking. Great page but a very strong result for a web-based comic. OTOH, nice Nexus pages don't pop up often.

I thought this Sprang went on the softer side (but not a fire sale) given it has both Batman and Robin and the Joker but I wonder if these Sprang pieces get resold too often to maintain a high prices.  Also thought the Krazy Kat dailies were softer side.  Again, not a bargain but not crazy expensive.  Maybe because they were later ones.

C9828AEC-62F9-416B-8B5F-374359537B8F.jpeg

This is the rare Heritage auction where I actually won something. Took home the Garcia Lopez Wonder Woman style guide page for what I thought was quite the bargain. Heritage over stuffing this auction didn't do the seller of the 3 style guide pages any favors. The Superman page went for about double what the Batman page went for, which I didn't understand. Regardless, I'm happy to get the one I really wanted.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, delekkerste said:

I finally won a Garfield strip myself in this auction. :blush:

Ahahahah :) !! Too funny!!

Which one did you go for?   I picked up a couple of the 1980 sundays and a 1984 odie getting kicked in the butt strip

Edited by Bronty

On 4/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, Bronty said:

Ahahahah :) !! Too funny!!

Which one did you go for?   I picked up a couple of the 1980 sundays and a 1984 odie getting kicked in the butt strip

I picked up one of the 1979 Sundays. Would like to get an Odie strip as well; I liked one of the 1984s but it went into the $1Ks which seemed high for a 1984 daily.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:33 PM, delekkerste said:

I picked up one of the 1979 Sundays. Would like to get an Odie strip as well; I liked one of the 1984s but it went into the $1Ks which seemed high for a 1984 daily.

Nice.   The 79s were very reasonable but I wasn’t trying to buy anything.   The 80s were so cheap I couldn’t resist. 

A couple pieces went strong like one of the 79 dailies and an Arlene daily.  

On 4/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, fsumavila said:

This is the rare Heritage auction where I actually won something. Took home the Garcia Lopez Wonder Woman style guide page for what I thought was quite the bargain. Heritage over stuffing this auction didn't do the seller of the 3 style guide pages any favors. The Superman page went for about double what the Batman page went for, which I didn't understand. Regardless, I'm happy to get the one I really wanted.

Congrats.  I was watching that one and would have gone after it harder if I hadn’t won something earlier.  Definitely a bargain compared to the crazy prices his style guides were selling for last year.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Congrats.  I was watching that one and would have gone after it harder if I hadn’t won something earlier.  Definitely a bargain compared to the crazy prices his style guides were selling for last year.

Thanks. Yeah, I've lost out on every other JLGL style guide page I've gone after so happy to get this one -- and at a relative bargain. The fact that they were buried on Day 4 of this auction made no sense to me. But then again, there were many decisions made by Heritage with this auction that made little sense to me. 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, TheLurker said:

Hey all,

Guilty. I won this one. I had about 7 items that I was active on during Thurs thru Sunday and got blown out of the water on all by a good amount. Some interior pages that went for 5k in the Nov HA signature were re-posted, going for more than 2.5x this auction -- just five months later. Other pages that I had pegged for 10 to 15k (even in the new hyper-OA pricing world) were hitting high-20k.

So by the time that Nexus page rolled around near the end of the auction, I got out over my skis. Rude sold these off his site for about $2k-3.5k years ago, so when it started at 2k, I thought maybe 5k or 6k max, but no ... guess I gotta chalk it up to blind grief/fury bidding on my part on those last couple of clicks. Didn't want to strike out completely. That said, I really love this page and glad I got it after the buyer's remorse quickly faded. One of the better Nexus pages I've seen.

BTW Hekla: that page wasn't just a web-comic, rather Rude published an oversized comic newspaper (like Wed comics) as part of his original Kickstarter, later collecting in a softcover trade and oversized hardcover. I'd recommend picking up the newsprint if you've never seen it -- cool project.

Congrats! It's a great page, and oversized. I was just surprised. Obviously it was more than just you driving the price up. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, TheLurker said:

Hey all,

Guilty. I won this one. I had about 7 items that I was active on during Thurs thru Sunday and got blown out of the water on all by a good amount. Some interior pages that went for 5k in the Nov HA signature were re-posted, going for more than 2.5x this auction -- just five months later. Other pages that I had pegged for 10 to 15k (even in the new hyper-OA pricing world) were hitting high-20k.

So by the time that Nexus page rolled around near the end of the auction, I got out over my skis. Rude sold these off his site for about $2k-3.5k years ago, so when it started at 2k, I thought maybe 5k or 6k max, but no ... guess I gotta chalk it up to blind grief/fury bidding on my part on those last couple of clicks. Didn't want to strike out completely. That said, I really love this page and glad I got it after the buyer's remorse quickly faded. One of the better Nexus pages I've seen.

BTW Hekla: that page wasn't just a web-comic, rather Rude published an oversized comic newspaper (like Wed comics) as part of his original Kickstarter, later collecting in a softcover trade and oversized hardcover. I'd recommend picking up the newsprint if you've never seen it -- cool project.

Congrats on the page. I have a Nexus page from the middle of the Volume 2 run and would love to add a better example and this would have fit the bill. As I stated, really nice action pages seem to rarely pop up.

I remember now that it was a printed run, but I've been reading the web-version; thanks for correcting me.

I had my first Heritage automated misfire in this auction. I won an auction on a four figure piece. Or so I thought; it was omitted from the invoice I received today. Heritage tells me that somebody else placed a bid for that same amount a second before I did, and I didn't counter. That was not how it looked on my screen, or I would have indeed countered. Grrr... Guess that one wasn't meant to be.

Edited by RBerman

On 4/11/2022 at 6:30 PM, Bill C said:

I wonder if a lot of it can be attributed to growing pains/taking on too much. This last auction went so long at points, I wonder if another signature auction per year is warranted.

It was way too long with too many pieces - nearly 1,000.

I get that Heritage is concerned with the vig they make off each auction, but having such a bloated auction isn't ideal for its customer base. Not so much for the blue-chip stuff, but mid-level art certainly was impacted by the sheer number of items in this auction. 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, batman_fan said:

I thought this Sprang went on the softer side (but not a fire sale) given it has both Batman and Robin and the Joker but I wonder if these Sprang pieces get resold too often to maintain a high prices.  Also thought the Krazy Kat dailies were softer side.  Again, not a bargain but not crazy expensive.  Maybe because they were later ones.

C9828AEC-62F9-416B-8B5F-374359537B8F.jpeg

Not sure about this one but Sprang did a number of recreations of the same cover

On 4/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, delekkerste said:

After 1980/81 Jim started having assistants to ink the final Garfield strips.