• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

What’s the big deal about this result?  It’s nowhere near the record for a Romita spidey Sunday

Well this one is superior to the 9/10/ 2021 24k sale in HA archives , so maybe we make it to the moon :Rocket:

On 4/10/2022 at 2:26 PM, Ted_L said:

For the moment, Heritage and other collectibles auction houses benefit from this exemption, but I'm sure the people in charge will eventually figure out the right loophole to fully exempt the rich while requiring reporting for regular collectors. 

Don't sweat it Ted, the hammer is coming down for everyone soon enough.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:19 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Still so many more lots to go through.  I suspect the auction will run for at least another 75 minutes.  Very curious to see what the Romita Spidey strips and the Vess Spidey cover end at

Way too many lots in this auction.  Did we really need 45 lots of Garfield strips?  Those could have been thrown in a weekly auction or the nearest trash can.

On 4/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Way too many lots in this auction.  Did we really need 45 lots of Garfield strips?  Those could have been thrown in a weekly auction or the nearest trash can.

Yes, it was needed. Bathroom break.  :)

On 4/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, Kryptic1 said:

There’s a lot of great strips there, but obviously buyer fatigue with so many selling through heritage lately.    

I like them and bought three.   A couple early Sunday’s and a  Garfield kicking odie in the butt daily.   I was just following Gene’s instructions 🙃

The values aren’t super high atm but neither are dozens or hundreds of other lots . 

On 4/11/2022 at 3:16 AM, kbmcvay said:

Listen, it’s fairly obvious that some manipulation is occurring by Heritage based on real analysis and reporting whether in this particular auction or not (seems fishy for sure). Dealers like Romitaman bragged about shilling in their auctions but all of these records are genuine.

I never said shilling wasn't happening.  I'm sure it is, because there's so much incentive for consignors and their cohorts to do so.

But you make it sound like Heritage themselves are the ones doing most of the shilling, which I doubt is the case.  They really don't need to.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:46 AM, Bronty said:

I looked over JHalpe.com for fun the other day, and the volume is hard to take in, but if you use the search feature, two things become apparent:

1. He has a massive collection of grails that have their roots in the 1950s - EC, Mad, Frazetta, Harvey.   

Don't forget the Raiders-type warehouse that he doesn't show, which apparently contains most of the Promise books and every record OA sale.

On 4/11/2022 at 7:20 AM, Bronty said:

There’s a lot of great strips there, but obviously buyer fatigue with so many selling through heritage lately.    

I like them and bought three.   A couple early Sunday’s and a  Garfield kicking odie in the butt daily.   I was just following Gene’s instructions 🙃

The values aren’t super high atm but neither are dozens or hundreds of other lots . 

Prices of stuff that I was looking at near the end of the auction were NOT soft.

But I'd like to see an experiment in which Heritage lists items in reverse alphabetical order to see if works by the S-Z's do even better if they come up early.

Caniff Terry and Pirates strips have experienced a quantum jump in prices starting with the Bobby Murphy auction last month.  :cry:

Edited by tth2

On 4/10/2022 at 8:13 PM, tth2 said:

Prices of stuff that I was looking at near the end of the auction were NOT soft.

But I'd like to see an experiment in which Heritage lists items in reverse alphabetical order to see if works by the S-Z's do even better if they come up early.

This is a very real issue. Same with CLink which lists books in alphabetical order by title. My X-Men 1 and Werewolf by Night 32 went significantly lower a while back, and I convinced the late night for East Coast bidders was not helping me. 

One high and one low price observation for Sunday auction. Two Ottley Invincible pages from issue  #12 sold well with the highest one around $15,600.  Much higher than any other page or cover from the series that I'm aware of.  The piece I wish I bid on, but was focusing on other things is the Ditko Tales of Suspense #37 monster page. I think it went for around $6,300, quite a bit less than expected.