• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2022 at 11:36 PM, Brian Peck said:

After 1980/81 Jim started having assistants to ink the final Garfield strips.

Right; I’ve heard that, do you have the exact date by chance?

On 4/12/2022 at 2:00 AM, tth2 said:

Too bad he didn’t outsource the writing too.

Ehhh different strokes for different folks.   The Flash Gordon and buck Rogers and Prince Valiant type adventure strips have fans too (yourself included for at least Flash)  but there’s no fun factor there for me at all (beyond the art which is great).   I find the writing in those adventure strips boring, partly due to the limitations of telling a more serious story in serial instalments.    The writer has enough time for a setup and a gag on the same page but the adventure story strip you basically get three lines in a play.    Hard to make sense of that without having them all handy for reference.  

On 4/12/2022 at 1:55 AM, tth2 said:

WHY????

lol 

I'm a big fan of comic strips from the '70s-'90s and prices are pretty reasonable for anything that isn't Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes. In fact, I just bought another memorable/nostalgic piece of '80s era strip art this morning (not Garfield, though).

I enjoyed reading Garfield back in the day, and my wife tells me she was obsessed by the strip when she was a kid. Some years ago I even bought her a signed copy of the Jim Davis Garfield art book that I bought from the table @Brian Peckwas manning at SDCC!  

Edited by delekkerste

On 4/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Bronty said:
On 4/12/2022 at 9:28 PM, tth2 said:

Which is fine until he tells the same gag for the 8,443,218th time.

Sure.   But every long running strip runs out of gas sooner or later.

pn.jpg

Sure, and you probably know that I'm as critical of Schulz as anyone for mailing it in in the last couple of decades of Peanuts, but that was after 2+ decades of quality stuff.

Jim Davis was repeating the same gags after about 1 year into the strip.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, tth2 said:

Sure, and you probably know that I'm as critical of Schulz as anyone for mailing it in in the last couple of decades of Peanuts, but that was after 2+ decades of quality stuff.

Well, I think that’s stretching things quite a bit.   I recently reread the first few years of Garfield with my daughter and we both enjoyed them.  

Im not going to argue it’s half of what Peanuts was, it certainly wasn’t.    Peanuts was a brilliant strip for sure. 

On 4/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, rikemice said:

Out of all of those lots (and I was watching quite a few) there was only one "must-have" for me. But someone else wanted it more.

So I spent 1/10th of the hammer on a Clink win instead. :)

But which piece did you want more?  The one on clink or HA?

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 4/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, Bronty said:

Well, I think that’s stretching things quite a bit.   I recently reread the first few years of Garfield with my daughter and we both enjoyed them.  

Im not going to argue it’s half of what Peanuts was, it certainly wasn’t.    Peanuts was a brilliant strip for sure. 

Learn it, live it

On 4/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, tth2 said:

I read Peanuts in the 80s and 90s as well, as they came out, and I absolutely abhorred the strip at the time.   It was never funny.

Later, when fantagraphics reprinted the strip and I was able to read the 1950s and 1960s peanuts, I finally understood what the fuss was about.    It was amazing for the first 15 years and still very good for the next 15 years, but after that, you wouldn’t guess at it’s former glory.   

So I know exactly what you mean.    As a kid reading the paper in say 1984, you couldn’t wait to see how Odie was going to get smashed this time, whereas you’d skip right past Patti and Marcie having some dull conversation in class.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, Bronty said:

I read Peanuts in the 80s and 90s as well, as they came out, and I absolutely abhorred the strip at the time.   It was never funny.

Later, when fantagraphics reprinted the strip and I was able to read the 1950s and 1960s peanuts, I finally understood what the fuss was about.    It was amazing for the first 15 years and still very good for the next 15 years, but after that, you wouldn’t guess at it’s former glory.   

So I know exactly what you mean.    As a kid reading the paper in say 1984, you couldn’t wait to see how Odie was going to get smashed this time, whereas you’d skip right past Patti and Marcie having some dull conversation in class.

They seemed to have a touch of sadness to them, bittersweet, but more bitter than sweet. Like the old man saying this is all I have left to give.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, Rick2you2 said:

They seemed to have a touch of sadness to them, bittersweet, but more bitter than sweet. Like the old man saying this is all I have left to give.

Maybe.   I can see that pov as an adult and I have tremendous respect for Schulz now.   As a kid, I’m sorry to say I just wondered how this senile old man was still given a spot in the newspaper.     It just wasn’t as easy to look up past strips back then.   Or to look up anything without a Dewey decimal code.

Edited by Bronty