• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My daughter just went savage on Arthur Suydam
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, Bird said:

Golden was out of the scene for years and then came out on the convention circuit and he and his rep accepted money in advance for commissions. Then silence. A group of 4 or so decided they had enough and sent a legalish letter saying get'er done (even though this was kind of saying skip us to the top of the list, I know as I was on the list but not one who was involved in the letter). So he got'em done, and sent some class-less lettering on them as well. Professionally drawn but insulting the buyers. The only one shared publicly (as far as I know) has a misspelling and said "Patience is a virue Mr. Turnbull" (Mr Turnbull seems an awesome guy, although we have never met.) it also appears to be Doc thumbing his nose or blowing a raspberry to Mr Turnbull.

Ahh, I see. That definitely sounds like Golden. I will always remember my first interaction with him… not fondly, either. 

On 2/15/2022 at 12:07 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Tiffleberry should have gone on Sunday when “I do free sketches for kids.”

Now that I’m thinking about it… I do think it might’ve been a Sunday when he did this to me. His was the last sketch I got at that convention, and we always attended cons for all three days. :roflmao:

Speaking of that Suydam convention sketch... That's the first time I've seen a Marvel Zombie Punisher Logo. (The original one)

Edited by sckao

On 2/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, tiffleberry said:

Hi, I am the daughter in question here. I was actually only 11 when I had this interaction with Arthur. I only got told “no” on one occasion. It was Michael Golden at the Dallas Comic Convention. I will never forget that interaction either. Although a few years later I did get Michael Golden to do a Bugs Bunny sketch for my younger brother. 

I was always very respectful to artists, and I was actually quite shy as a kid. My dad having me go get sketches on my own was what got me over that social anxiety. There was kind of a running joke that a lot of the artists went along with in my sketchbook about me needing to talk more. I’m glad my dad gave me the opportunity and freedom to meet all the amazing artists I did.

Thanks for sharing this, glad you didn't let the bad experience from one or two crappy artists make you lose your interest and love of comics and art, and tarnish your memories with your dad.  

Also, I saw your Herb Trimpe Hulk sketch and it made me laugh when he added (with an I) to your sketch.  

On 2/14/2022 at 11:12 PM, The Troll King said:

And then there's this:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-photoshopping-of-arthur-suydam-line-confirmed/

lol Photoshopping people into a line. 

I would've give Suydam a pass had he posted this Photoshopped pic with tongue in cheek, but for him or his people to deny the photo was doctored is beyond redonkulous. Nobody in line is holding a single g.d. comic and not one person with a roll-e-cart can be found. And two people are wearing shades--indoors! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

On 2/14/2022 at 11:12 PM, The Troll King said:

And then there's this:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-photoshopping-of-arthur-suydam-line-confirmed/

lol Photoshopping people into a line. 

That's pretty funny. I bet those extra people were added to hide whatever other artist's banner might otherwise have been prominently displayed across the aisle. It's a pretty slapdash effort in retrospect, but it survives a quick glance.