• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My morning

33 posts in this topic

Would just like to "vent" a little about one of my morning emails.  New registered user on the website.  Obviously tries out Spin-a-deal and sends me this.  Now I don't believe that Action #218 is junk but ok.  At least he did see the disclaimer.  Nothing else to do in your life but waste my time?  

I do  not wan this book. This is a scam to get rid of your junk books. Nice try putting the disclaimer on the bottom of the page, but I will not be purchasing this book.

On Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 11:28:14 PM PST, HighGradeComics.com <bobstorms@highgradecomics.com> wrote:

Dear XXXXXXX

Congratulations! We're writing to confirm your Spin-a-Deal purchase in the amount of $315 for Action Comics #218 (CGC 7.5, Offwhite/white pages, tiny C written on front cover in pen, very light 5 24 written on back cover in pencil).

If the book you've won is from a third-party consignor, a notification e-mail has been sent to the seller. If the book is from our inventory, please note that there is always a small chance that the book may have been sold since our last web site update. If this happens, we will let you know as soon as possible, and do our best to find similar items if we can.

In either case, you will receive payment instructions from us as soon as we have confirmation that the book is in our possession.

To review the status of all your offers at any time, visit: http://www.highgradecomics.com/offers

Thanks for your business!

Sincerely,

Bob Storms
HighGradeComics.com

On 2/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, blazingbob said:

Would just like to "vent" a little about one of my morning emails.  New registered user on the website.  Obviously tries out Spin-a-deal and sends me this.  Now I don't believe that Action #218 is junk but ok.  At least he did see the disclaimer.  Nothing else to do in your life but waste my time?  

I do  not wan this book. This is a scam to get rid of your junk books. Nice try putting the disclaimer on the bottom of the page, but I will not be purchasing this book.

On Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 11:28:14 PM PST, HighGradeComics.com <bobstorms@highgradecomics.com> wrote:

Dear XXXXXXX

Congratulations! We're writing to confirm your Spin-a-Deal purchase in the amount of $315 for Action Comics #218 (CGC 7.5, Offwhite/white pages, tiny C written on front cover in pen, very light 5 24 written on back cover in pencil).

If the book you've won is from a third-party consignor, a notification e-mail has been sent to the seller. If the book is from our inventory, please note that there is always a small chance that the book may have been sold since our last web site update. If this happens, we will let you know as soon as possible, and do our best to find similar items if we can.

In either case, you will receive payment instructions from us as soon as we have confirmation that the book is in our possession.

To review the status of all your offers at any time, visit: http://www.highgradecomics.com/offers

Thanks for your business!

Sincerely,

Bob Storms
HighGradeComics.com

Is he mad about the spin feature and was hoping for a huge discount and only got a 10% drop - which you spell out several time before you click the spin the wheel.  What disclaimer is he mad about?

On 2/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, shadroch said:

I've learned a simple solution to bad mornings. I sleep until noon and eliminate any possibility of someone ruining the start of the day.

Is there a way you could indicate which books are in your possesion and which need come from a third party.  I just think there is so much that can go wrong with selling books not in your own possesion.   

Third party books are not eligible for Spin-a-Deal.  

On 2/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, 1Cool said:

Is he mad about the spin feature and was hoping for a huge discount and only got a 10% drop - which you spell out several time before you click the spin the wheel.  What disclaimer is he mad about?

He is mad about the disclaimer that if you are spinning the wheel you are committing to buy the book.  

At least he read it.  

The problem is that it is not apparent that you are committing to buy a book when you click on that link. This is a GUI problem.  

I had this problem with another website where I thought I was making an offer and instead committed to buying a book I did not want. (I wanted the book but not at the retail price listed.)

I was hesitant to even click on that SPIN A DEAL link in case it committed me to buy the book. If this is not the case, you can see why people would not know what it means since clicking on the link may commit you to buying a book you may not necessarily want. A chicken or the egg situation.

You need to explicitly explain on every page that link appears what that means or make it NOT an immediate commitment to buy the book in question.

I think that the "customer" made it pretty clear that it's a U problem.

Spoiler

U = User

Spoiler

We also call this "operator error", "ID-10-T error", etc.

Except in this case it was not an error, as s/he knew what they were doing when they spun the wheel, and refused to honor their commitment.

Sorry about that. That other recent experience really made me wary about other comic websites in general. It had none of the help screens or guards you have in place and had a button/entry field directly in the vicinity of an offer/high bid area which looked like a current sale price.

The use of pop-ups may eventually fail at some point (or be maliciously/forcibly blocked) as an entry-way guard, but you have other disclaimers in place should this happen. :foryou:

Now that I went through the process, I agree it was entirely the user's fault. (Note that when I had to login to access the SPIN A DEAL site, I had to reset my password. Once I did that, the resulting pop-up guard was pretty small on my screen and at the very top of my page. I don't know if it would go away easily with an errant return key press or not, but you still have your other disclaimers.) 

@blazingbobBob, I am registered on your site but have never spun the wheel.  I think it is very obvious and evident that you are committing to purchase once you spin.  The pop-up verbiage is clear and you can't proceed until that is closed.  

But outside of this instance, I have wondered what percentage of spinners don't follow through regardless of providing communication or just not paying.  I think it is an innovative feature and am really just curious.

Thanks

On 2/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, blazingbob said:

I've had a few users claim ignorance of "committing" so we "beefed up" the best we could on the spin feature.  Again,  we never force the user into that choice on that features popup,  they can always make an offer instead.  

I can count on two hands users that have "backed up".  They are nicely "backed out" of my database as well.  

.... there were many other ways he could have requested some recourse other than insulting you and your inventory. A high grade 1950's Action is NOT junk. If it was "junk". why did XXXXXXXRumpe-Loade select it to begin with ? Some people would make a damn good Pizza topping if only it wasn't illegal. 2c GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu