• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, kav said:
On 3/1/2022 at 9:32 PM, fastballspecial said:

And great if you sell a few books from time to time. It's not a successful business model by any means. 

Disagree.  I think its an excellent business model.  cuts out a large source of headaches right out of the gate.

We will just agree to disagree at this point. It's not like we haven't had this argument before. Have a good night.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

You can make that comment about any customer and any business. Thats not how to view selling. And it will not 
yield you the most customers which is what you want. 

when I go to but a pair of pants I dont demand a grade so disagree about "any customer and any business".    I get the most customers based on what I'm selling.  If its FF annual 6 for example I get bidders up yin yang.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:30 PM, fastballspecial said:

I see this all the time. You have choices. Take them to the Goodwill. Take them to established seller and make some profit.  Take them to an auction house and lose a good slice of profit. Take them to a comic shop and lose more profit. Or put in the time and maximize your value. You get the make the choice. But if you want your maximized value and attract the most buyers the choice is obvious.  The majority want the last option, but don't want to put in the time. 

I see no reason to force someone to take their inherited books to goodwill or work with an auctionhouse (though both of those are fine options--wait, does Goodwill know how to grade?).  eBay was literally conceived as an alternative for just for the kind of people I mentioned.  It's something anyone can do from their home.  I appreciate that you do it the professional way, but I'm afraid you won't convince me that people shouldn't be allowed to just take pictures of their stuff and throw it up on eBay with a low starting bid and see what happens.  Have done it myself for 23 years now, on everything from comic books to my old concert t-shirts (worth a lot now, incredibly) to computer equipment to children's toys.  We can just agree to disagree I suppose.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:38 PM, Beastfeast said:

Can you point to a single major dealer that refuses to grade?  

dont follow all the dealers on ebay but I have bought from sellers that sold thousands of books and didnt list grades.  we've seen innumerable stories here of people running into buyers that disagreed with grade.  If people take my advice that will simply never happen.  I've never seen someone post about listing say ASM 13 and golly it only sold for $5 bucks cause I didnt list a grade.

anyway as I said-sell how you want, I'll sell how I want.  and anyone reading these posts is free to decide what makes more sense.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:46 PM, kav said:

dont follow all the dealers on ebay but I have bought from sellers that sold thousands of books and didnt list grades.  we've seen innumerable stories here of people running into buyers that disagreed with grade.  If people take my advice that will simply never happen.  I've never seen someone post about listing say ASM 13 and golly it only sold for $5 bucks cause I didnt list a grade.

I honestly don't know how to talk to you, sometimes.  I don't know how in the world that made up, fantasy situation has anything to do with what we're talking about.  Whether or not other people disagree with grades is not relevant to doing your due diligence when trying to sell something.  It's the least a seller of a an item where condition matters can do to help establish good-faith and encourage return customers.  If that stuff doesn't matter to you, that's weird.  But we're also talking more broadly about LEARNING to grade.  Everyone who cares about buying and selling comics should learn to grade.  Everyone.  

Before you even respond:

Yes, I understand not everyone can agree on a grade all the time.

Yes, I understand some people will disagree and maybe want a refund.  

Yes, I understand you sell things without giving a grade.  

Yes, I understand CGC has graded books incorrectly.  

Yes, I understand there are bad-faith people on eBay that over grade.  

Yes, I understand someone who knows nothing about comics won't know how to do that.  

Yes, I understand some other thing you'll say that's not relevant.  

Bottom line: Learn to grade.  Or don't.  I don't even remember how we got here.  It was a hanging chad in that book, right? 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, Beastfeast said:

I honestly don't know how to talk to you, sometimes.  I don't know how in the world that made up, fantasy situation has anything to do with what we're talking about.  Whether or not other people disagree with grades is not relevant to doing your due diligence when trying to sell something.  It's the least a seller of a an item where condition matters can do to help establish good-faith and encourage return customers.  If that stuff doesn't matter to you, that's weird.  But we're also talking more broadly about LEARNING to grade.  Everyone who cares about buying and selling comics should learn to grade.  Everyone.  

Before you even respond:

Yes, I understand not everyone can agree on a grade all the time.

Yes, I understand some people will disagree and maybe want a refund.  

Yes, I understand you sell things without giving a grade.  

Yes, I understand CGC has graded books incorrectly.  

Yes, I understand there are bad-faith people on eBay that over grade.  

Yes, I understand someone who knows nothing about comics won't know how to do that.  

Yes, I understand some other thing you'll say that's not relevant.  

Bottom line: Learn to grade.  Or don't.  I don't even remember how we got here.  It was a hanging chad in that book, right? 

you do not have to learn to grade to sell books successfully on ebay.  You keep ascribing to me problems with selling I do not have.  I sell successfully.  I have return customers.  I get good prices.  I never said I didnt know how to grade-its my choice just not to list grades.  There are people that know nothing about comics that sell successfully, just showing pics.  Buyers do not shun them.  In fact some buyers seek out clueless sellers.

I would also like to debunk the idea that 'you cant tell much from pics'.  Top scorers in grading contests might disagree.  They seem to be able to get remarkably close and dead on time after time.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, Beastfeast said:

That's what she said.

I'm listing grades from now on.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, kav said:

I would also like to debunk the idea that 'you cant tell much from pics'. 

You must have never met someone from online using profile pictures.  :baiting:

Spoiler

Take them to a waterpark. 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You must have never met someone from online using profile pictures.  :baiting:

Reveal hidden contents

Take them to a waterpark. 

206639886_WhyNotBoth.gif.e340fae849615ba639972e1772e98608.gif.67f2cf2014ef20661f75bafd8246a594.gif

On 3/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, kav said:

I would also like to debunk the idea that 'you cant tell much from pics'.  Top scorers in grading contests might disagree.  They seem to be able to get remarkably close and dead on time after time.

This is why people with a pulse don't take anything you say seriously 

On 3/1/2022 at 10:54 PM, The Meta said:

Exactly 

A black hole always has something orbiting it

721403337_tenor(5).gif.ec714b83bb8f1b1da154c9a3dc56d601.gif

Also...

Yes, Uranus has rings

Uranus possesses two sets of rings. The inner system of rings consists mostly of narrow, dark rings, while an outer system of two more-distant rings, discovered by the Hubble Space Telescope, are brightly colored: one red, one blue. Scientists have identified 13 known rings around Uranus.