• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 9:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

721403337_tenor(5).gif.ec714b83bb8f1b1da154c9a3dc56d601.gif

Also...

Yes, Uranus has rings

Uranus possesses two sets of rings. The inner system of rings consists mostly of narrow, dark rings, while an outer system of two more-distant rings, discovered by the Hubble Space Telescope, are brightly colored: one red, one blue. Scientists have identified 13 known rings around Uranus.

K

On 3/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

721403337_tenor(5).gif.ec714b83bb8f1b1da154c9a3dc56d601.gif

Also...

Yes, Uranus has rings

Uranus possesses two sets of rings. The inner system of rings consists mostly of narrow, dark rings, while an outer system of two more-distant rings, discovered by the Hubble Space Telescope, are brightly colored: one red, one blue. Scientists have identified 13 known rings around Uranus.

not mine.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You taken pictures to check? :baiting:

image.png.b7d0563ab837b1d83b071473a5f5fde4.png

Alright, friends. Well, this has been a humdinger.  I mainly wanted to answer the question of whether the book had or had not been trimmed for purposes of relisting (I already refunded the buyer), but I'm afraid we're not much closer on that score.  We ended up with a lot of spirited eBay talk.  Some tensions flared.  Stu came in hot and got banned with not one but two fresh accounts.  But I think a good time was generally had by all.

I went back through this entire thread and counted up the people who said it just looked like a production error (with or without folding) versus those who said it looked like a bad trim job (in this latter category I counted someone who said it "didn't look natural" which I assume means they think it was trimmed).  I also did not count myself, though I still believe it has not been trimmed.  Here are the results:

Just a Production Error, Ma'am:  Mattheduck, Shadroch, F for Fake, and Kav.

Actually Trimmed by Some Unskilled Yahoo: Zzutak, Get Marwood & I, 500 Club, and Lazyboy.

Total: 4 - 4 

So there you have it, folks--an even split.  With several people abstaining or affirmatively stating that they were unsure.  Polls are closed.  No edits, please. :)

Outcome: I'm going to revise my initial assessment of trimming from "highly unlikely" to "inconclusive."  I've also decided to just put it back in the ol' PC.  Beers all around.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:15 PM, Poekaymon said:

Alright, friends. Well, this has been a humdinger.  I mainly wanted to answer the question of whether the book had or had not been trimmed for purposes of relisting (I already refunded the buyer), but I'm afraid we're not much closer on that score.  We ended up with a lot of spirited eBay talk.  Some tensions flared.  Stu came in hot and got banned with not one but two fresh accounts.  But I think a good time was generally had by all.

I went back through this entire thread and counted up the people who said it just looked like a production error (with or without folding) versus those who said it looked like a bad trim job (in this latter category I counted someone who said it "didn't look natural" which I assume means they think it was trimmed).  I also did not count myself, though I still believe it has not been trimmed.  Here are the results:

Just a Production Error, Ma'am:  Mattheduck, Shadroch, F for Fake, and Kav.

Actually Trimmed by Some Unskilled Yahoo: Zzutak, Get Marwood & I, 500 Club, and Lazyboy.

Total: 4 - 4 

So there you have it, folks--an even split.  With several people abstaining or affirmatively stating that they were unsure.  Polls are closed.  No edits, please. :)

Outcome: I'm going to revise my initial assessment of trimming from "highly unlikely" to "inconclusive."  I've also decided to just put it back in the ol' PC.  Beers all around.

(thumbsu

On 3/1/2022 at 10:08 PM, fastballspecial said:

I find it actually lazy and uneducated to not grade something you are selling. I am quite sure if its the other way around you would want a grade.

Not sure why you feel the need to insult people who do things differently than you do, and are apparently happy and successful with their approach.

Also, you would be wrong on the second sentence - at the best, having someone else make an assignment of what they believe the grade to be only gives me a place to start. Sure, it's nice - assuming they know what they are doing, which is a question mark in itself - but it's not a requirement.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:38 PM, Beastfeast said:

Can you point to a single major dealer that refuses to grade?  

As mentioned in this thread, I can't recall seeing many dealers at a convention who has listed a grade on the books they had for sale. Of course they have graded them, but they don't list it. Kinda like not putting a grade in your eBay listing.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:15 AM, Poekaymon said:

Actually Trimmed by Some Unskilled Yahoo: Zzutak, Get Marwood & I, 500 Club, and Lazyboy

Just to be clear, I was of the opinion that the book didn't look natural, in the photos you provided, Poe. That doesn't necessarily mean it was trimmed, well or otherwise. Better photos, or scans, would help me to decide, but I've seen many books where it is hard to establish whether cuts that present as out of the ordinary are the result of production issues or post production intervention. I haven't read the posts in between yet - did you post more pictures? Can you, if not?