• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, kav said:

Remember when you list a grade-you will be selling to people who do not know how to grade a comic.

This is the key right here.  I've seen from other threads that some buyers these days think NM means mint and have no idea of how bad a 9.4 can actually be.  So you get people who are legitimately good graders, like some of the raw sellers on this forum,  post something  as NM and then get complaints because it has spine ticks.  It's kind of lose lose.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Poekaymon said:

This is the key right here.  I've seen from other threads that some buyers these days think NM means mint and have no idea of how bad a 9.4 can actually be.  So you get people who are legitimately good graders, like some of the raw sellers on this forum,  post something  as NM and then get complaints because it has spine ticks.  It's kind of lose lose.

image.png.82a46de91e6024885d5362fbe59a0c52.png

On 2/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, kav said:

I disagree with this.  Listing a grade does nothing.  CGC's top grader could list a grade and they would still get angry buyers that disagree.  Best to not list a grade, and avoid that pitfall entirely.  I never list grades and have had no problems with selling books on ebay.  No complaints about grade either.  Remember when you list a grade-you will be selling to people who do not know how to grade a comic.

Yo Kav! Been a while!

Listing a grade does mean something.  If I buy a book listed as NM from someone and it's way off, I know to never buy from them again.  Likewise, If I sell multiple books as NM and I keep getting feedback that I'm wrong, I know that I need to change something.  It's also just the bare minimum you can do as a seller.  It doesn't even need to be exact!  Say the book is upper mid-grade.  That gives you wiggle room but still gives you an idea where the book will be.  If you honestly can't even give a ballpark, I feel like you're gonna have a bad time selling.  

But also, whether or not people disagree with CGC's top grader or not is irrelevant.  So then should CGC stop giving grade?  I don't see the point in that?  Also, Also, how would you get complaints about your grades when you don't grade?  

Biggest also, "Remember when you list a grade-you will be selling to people who do not know how to grade a comic."...What does that even mean?  So If I assign a grade, that means the person buying won't know how to grade?  But If I don't they will know how to grade?  I'm so confused.

Edited by Beastfeast
Formatting

On 2/28/2022 at 8:42 PM, Beastfeast said:

Biggest also, "Remember when you list a grade-you will be selling to people who do not know how to grade a comic."...What does that even mean?  So If I assign a grade, that means the person buying won't know how to grade?  But If I don't they will know how to grade?  I'm so confused.

It's really not that complicated--it simply removes one more thing to argue about.  You've got people in this very thread saying they have no idea how to grade and you want to force them to throw up their best guess?  That's worse than putting nothing at all.

Just do like this guy, I guess. GEM MINT 10.0!Untitled.thumb.png.8b02243be26c9051667b415dcd894f04.png :):)

Edited by Poekaymon

On 2/28/2022 at 8:56 PM, Poekaymon said:

It's really not that complicated--it simply removes one more thing to argue about.  You've got people in this very thread saying they have no idea how to grade and you want to force them to throw up their best guess?  That's worse than putting nothing at all.

Just do like this guy, I guess. GEM MINT 10.0!Untitled.thumb.png.8b02243be26c9051667b415dcd894f04.png :):)

Just pick a number and hope for the best. That’s what I do when I have to grade books below FN.  :insane:

On 2/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, zzutak said:

I'd prefer to base my opinion on scanner images of the entire page (with the page absolutely flat on the scanner bed).  That being said, it looks like this leaf was folded inward (about the red axis) and missed the final production trim.  It looks like a previous owned unfolded the dog-ear and then scissor-trimmed the untrimmed portion of this leaf's bottom and outside vertical edges.

x1.jpg.ffb0f3867c625c47465132d38f29a85a.jpg

When the book is back in hand, place a straightedge next to this leaf's outside vertical edge.  Check for a constant gap from top to bottom.  (thumbsu

Yup.   When pages accidentally get folded in before the cutting process, the part inside the book does not get cut.  When you unfold the page, the uncut part sticks out close to an inch.   The original owner probably trimmed it for convenience, or to fit it into a comic bag.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:42 PM, Beastfeast said:

Yo Kav! Been a while!

Listing a grade does mean something.  If I buy a book listed as NM from someone and it's way off, I know to never buy from them again.  Likewise, If I sell multiple books as NM and I keep getting feedback that I'm wrong, I know that I need to change something.  It's also just the bare minimum you can do as a seller.  It doesn't even need to be exact!  Say the book is upper mid-grade.  That gives you wiggle room but still gives you an idea where the book will be.  If you honestly can't even give a ballpark, I feel like you're gonna have a bad time selling.  

But also, whether or not people disagree with CGC's top grader or not is irrelevant.  So then should CGC stop giving grade?  I don't see the point in that?  Also, Also, how would you get complaints about your grades when you don't grade?  

well it means that if you list a grade, someone that does not know how to grade may buy your book and want a return because they think it is a different grade.  they are wrong, but youre the one left with a headache.  Not listing a grade means one less thing they have to complain about as 'not as described'.  I never have any drama when I sell, when I listed grades, drama up yin yang.  I definitely do not have a bad time selling, and usually it goes for more than I expected, not less.  So, when I listed grades, drama, havent listed grades in years, smooth sailing.  
CGC is the recognized expert so a slabbed book comes with some assurance-but even then I've seen numerous stories on the boards where someone wanted a return on a slab because they said 'nuh uh-this is not a 9.4!' and whatnot.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:08 PM, kav said:

well it means that if you list a grade, someone that does not know how to grade may buy your book and want a return because they think it is a different grade.  they are wrong, but youre the one left with a headache.  Not listing a grade means one less thing they have to complain about as 'not as described'.  I never have any drama when I sell, when I listed grades, drama up yin yang.  I definitely do not have a bad time selling, and usually it goes for more than I expected, not less.  So, when I listed grades, drama, havent listed grades in years, smooth sailing.  
CGC is the recognized expert so a slabbed book comes with some assurance-but even then I've seen numerous stories on the boards where someone wanted a return on a slab because they said 'nuh uh-this is not a 9.4!' and whatnot.

The buyer is the one that can’t grade? hm

Freak what ya'll feel, I guess? (shrug)  If it's working, work it, girl. 

Until they officially recognize the grade 6.9, That's the only grade I'll sell by books at.  

On 2/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Beastfeast said:

Until they officially recognize the grade 6.9, That's the only grade I'll sell by books at.  

Also, listing grades you are assuming everyone is always right when they list a grade on ebay.  From participating in grading contests I know that even experienced collectors and sellers on ebay can be as much as 2 full grade points off.  So what then?   You listed a grade to the best of your ability, but you were 2 full grade points off!

On 2/28/2022 at 6:15 PM, kav said:
On 2/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Beastfeast said:

Also, listing grades you are assuming everyone is always right when they list a grade on ebay.  From participating in grading contests I know that even experienced collectors and sellers on ebay can be as much as 2 full grade points off.  So what then?   You listed a grade to the best of your ability, but you were 2 full grade points off!

Plus, what if someone doesnt know how to grade?  They cant sell books on ebay?  Say someone inherited a collection and knows nothing about grading-what then?
Or what if they are a collector that has tried but just cannot grade.  They just dont get it-what happens to them?

Edited by kav

On 2/28/2022 at 9:15 PM, kav said:

I just don't understand this perfect being the enemy of good, stuff.  You guys keep bringing up the worst case examples as a reason to not do this.  I can tell ya of the hundreds of books I've sold this year, I've had one person disagree and they were VERY right because I missed something.  I also offer completely free returns where I pony up shipping - no questions asked.  I've had 1 return in the last 12 months and again, it was absolutely my fault.  If I'm doing something wrong, I want to know so I can be better.  

To the people here who don't know how to grade - It's literally the BEST thing you can work on in this hobby to make your money spend better/farther and your selling rep/prices go higher.  If you don't care, then don't worry about it.  No one is gonna force you but here's one anecdotal data point that won't matter to you: Unless I'm getting a ridiculoussssss deal, I will never buy from people who won't give a grade and do the, "judge for yourself" spiel.  

On 2/28/2022 at 6:28 PM, Beastfeast said:

I just don't understand this perfect being the enemy of good, stuff.  You guys keep bringing up the worst case examples as a reason to not do this.  I can tell ya of the hundreds of books I've sold this year, I've had one person disagree and they were VERY right because I missed something.  I also offer completely free returns where I pony up shipping - no questions asked.  I've had 1 return in the last 12 months and again, it was absolutely my fault.  If I'm doing something wrong, I want to know so I can be better.  

To the people here who don't know how to grade - It's literally the BEST thing you can work on in this hobby to make your money spend better/farther and your selling rep/prices go higher.  If you don't care, then don't worry about it.  No one is gonna force you but here's one anecdotal data point that won't matter to you: Unless I'm getting a ridiculoussssss deal, I will never buy from people who won't give a grade and do the, "judge for yourself" spiel.  

We all have to do what works for us.  But I've read innumerable stories here about dissatisfied buyers who disagreed with the grade, but no stories about dang I didnt list a grade and I got screwed over the grade. (or golly I wasnt able to sell it cause I didnt list a grade.  In fact there are buyers that look for clueless sellers and  sometimes pay more for a book where the seller doesnt seem to know what they are doing, and just buying based on the pictures.  A picture is worth a 1000 words, after all).

On 2/28/2022 at 7:58 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/28/2022 at 4:09 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Can anyone tell me what book this is from?

I can but I'm not going to. 

I disagree.

I believe you can't but are going to.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:03 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 2/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Can anyone tell me what book this is from?

I can but I'm not going to. 

I disagree.

I believe you can't but are going to.

ROM #19 :acclaim:

well it means that if you list a grade, someone that does not know how to grade may buy your book and want a return because they think it is a different grade.  they are wrong, but youre the one left with a headache.  Not listing a grade means one less thing they have to complain about as 'not as described'.

Agree 100%. The bold part is the key - you can't complain about the description for something that hasn't been listed.

And anyway, a grade is nothing but one person's opinion on what the condition of the book is. If everyone agreed, there would be no reason for CGC to exist.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:09 PM, ttfitz said:

Agree 100%. The bold part is the key - you can't complain about the description for something that hasn't been listed.

And anyway, a grade is nothing but one person's opinion on what the condition of the book is. If everyone agreed, there would be no reason for CGC to exist.

perfect.