• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 2/28/2022 at 11:09 PM, ttfitz said:

And anyway, a grade is nothing but one person's opinion on what the condition of the book is. 

The opinion of the person selling the book.

Of course. And?

I don't know about you, but the only person's opinion on the grade of the books I buy that I care about is mine. And you can't tell me that you are looking at buying something and just take the listed grade, if it's there, as being true - I'm sure you look at the pictures and make your own determination. Even with someone like MCS who is known for very strict grading, I look at the images to determine what I think about it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, lostboys said:

I never list books as NM.

If im selling a NM book, Ill list it as VF+ or better with a lot of clear pics.

Ive never had a buyer return a book to me in 3 years now.

If you're going to put any grade, then, yes, undergrading is the way to go.  So instead of NM or NM+ you put VF/NM.  In that case though, experienced people may wonder if there is something they can't see like a crease that didn't show up.  If they message you, you can just say you're being conservative, but maybe they won't bother.  I also think a lot of people will just skip over it if they see anything lower than NM in the title, whereas a book with no grade they might have a look.  But yeah, basically whatever's been working for you, no grade at all, undergrading, or whatever, can just stick with it.  Really the only thing I wouldn't consider is overgrading, which I do see a lot of, and I always wonder how many returns they deal with.  I guess they have decided the extra money they make on the ones that don't get returned makes up for it--but that's not for me. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, SuperBird said:

No real input as to the trimming issue, but I have some negative opinions about returns and "not a professional grader." 

:)

It's good of you to take the return, obviously. 

However it's phrased, I just want to encourage people to do their own diligence and hopefully cut down on headaches.  This is just a hobby for me--my day job is stressful enough.  So whatever I write to try to put people on notice (no returns, or not a professional grader, or I found these comics in my dad's bunker and I have no idea what they are, or simply ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ), at the end of the day I'll still take it back because it's just not worth my time--but I do sort of dream about being a real eBay hardass and going the distance in every dispute.  All I'll add is I've had 23 years of pretty smooth sailing, so I see no reason to change anything now.  I'm sure the same is true of you.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, ttfitz said:

Of course. And?

I don't know about you, but the only person's opinion on the grade of the books I buy that I care about is mine. And you can't tell me that you are looking at buying something and just take the listed grade, if it's there, as being true - I'm sure you look at the pictures and make your own determination. Even with someone like MCS who is known for very strict grading, I look at the images to determine what I think about it. 

Of course I look at the photos/scans.  But for the most part, I just skip sellers that don’t put a grade on the books they’re selling.  (shrug)

On 3/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Of course I look at the photos/scans.  But for the most part, I just skip sellers that don’t put a grade on the books they’re selling.  (shrug)

That's a good policy if you don't trust your own grading.  In that case I guess you just need to take someone's word for it and hope for the best.    

How does the sellers who don't grade come up with a value price in thin air?

Is it auction?

Or is it I don't grade but I think this book is worth $200

And how do they buy books to continue to sell if they don't know how to grade?

Now a seller that sells bricbrack and not comics for the last ten years I would think that don't know how to grade.

Anyway sellers who don't know how to grade but somehow know how to price is a reason I don't do eBay.

I'll leave the wild west for you collectors who like adventure and mystery in your lives.

With a dash of drama

I can answer some of these for you:

On 3/1/2022 at 6:08 PM, southern cross said:

This one is really easy.  Every time I list something I make it a 10 day auction starting at 1 cent with no reserve.  The market prices it for me.

Also easy.  On cheaper books, just look at the pics, take a guess, and roll the dice.  It's not the same as having some buyer complain about your own grade.  And for the higher end stuff, stick more to graded stuff.    

On 3/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, Poekaymon said:

This one is really easy.  Every time I list something I make it a 10 day auction starting at 1 cent with no reserve.  The market prices it for me.

Also easy.  On cheaper books, just look at the pics, take a guess, and roll the dice.  It's not the same as having some buyer complain about your own grade.  And for the higher end stuff, stick more to graded stuff.    

The market takes care of this-not a whole lot of raw ASM 1's out there for example.

Is it auction?

Or is it I don't grade but I think this book is worth $200

Who said they didn't grade, or didn't know how to grade?

I grade my books, price them according to that grade, and list them - I just don't put in my listing what I think the grade is. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:04 PM, ttfitz said:

Of course. And?

I pay no attention to the grade listed on ebay.  None.  I look at the pics and description.  Anyone who looks at an obvious 7-7.5 that is listed as a 9.0 then gets bent out of shape because he receives a 7.0 is a goofus.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:40 PM, kav said:

I pay no attention to the grade listed on ebay.  None.  I look at the pics and description.  Anyone who looks at an obvious 7-7.5 that is listed as a 9.0 then gets bent out of shape because he receives a 7.0 is a goofus.

I couldn't care less (thanks, KPR) about what eBayers write on their listings.  Now I have bought raws from several sellers on here though, including Jordy and FT88, and I feel they undergraded, if anything.  But this is eBay we're talking about.  So skipping auctions because they don't put a grade is an absolutely hilarious policy.  Here are some I found just now in about 60 seconds of looking.  Could list a 1000 more, and better examples if I wanted to waste the time, but we've all seen them:

1.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/184486142653?     This one is funny because he has Mint 9.9 in the title but Unread NM+ 9.6 in the condition.  And you get one pic, still in the bag, of the cover.  Good thing he graded it for us!  

2.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/334342744743?     Here's a stack of 9.8s-- CGC em!  I mean, I guess there might be 9.8s in there.  But he gave us a grade and that's what counts--not like that dirty Kav.

3.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/363239280526       So this guy split the difference.  He didn't give a firm grade because he's not as professional as those other two, he just says that it's "near perfect."  Okay that sounds promising.  But right away I look at the back cover and it looks like the previous owner was Freddy Kreuger.  Well, it's the thought that counts.

These are not outliers--see this sort of stuff all the time.  But, hey, at least they put a grade.    

Edited by Poekaymon

On 3/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, Poekaymon said:

Could care less what eBayers write on their listings.  Now I have bought raws from several sellers on here though, including Jordy and FT88, and I feel they undergraded, if anything.  But this is eBay we're talking about.  So skipping auctions because they don't put a grade is an absolutely hilarious policy.  Here are some I found just now in about 60 seconds of looking.  Could list a 1000 more, and better examples if I wanted to waste the time, but we've all seen them:

1.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/184486142653?     This one is funny because he has Mint 9.9 in the title but Unread NM+ 9.6 in the condition.  And you get one pic, still in the bag, of the cover.  Good thing he graded it for us!  

2.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/334342744743?     Here's a stack of 9.8s-- CGC em!  I mean, I guess there might be 9.8s in there.  But he gave us a grade and that's what counts--not like that dirty Kav.

3.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/363239280526       So this guy split the difference.  He didn't give a firm grade because he's not as professional as those other two, he just says that it's "near perfect."  Okay that sounds promising.  But right away I look at the back cover and it looks like the previous owner was Freddy Kreuger.  Well, it's the thought that counts.

These are not outliers--see this sort of stuff all the time.  But, hey, at least they put a grade.    

asking for a grade, when a seller's grade means absolutely nothing, seems odd.  "Could you assign some random grade to this book so I'll buy it?  I know people grade wrong on ebay but could you do it anyway?  I know I can force a return even if you dont list a grade but again could you do it anyway?  Yes I realize a listed grade means zippo and doesnt alter any outcome ever but-COULD YOU JUST DO IT????"

On 3/1/2022 at 4:00 PM, KPR Comics said:

But how much less?

Boom.  Roasted.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:58 PM, Poekaymon said:

Now I have bought raws from several sellers on here though, including Jordy and FT88, and I feel they undergraded, if anything.

I am also a buyer of ft88 books, and agree that often he undergrades.

But not always - from my perspective - so I always make my own determination.

But I will admit that it helps, given that I'm familiar with his grading and how he has been in the past, to have a starting point of what he thinks the proper grade is. Same thing with MCS, they are much stricter than I am, generally speaking, and I will often bid more than I usually would given the grade assigned. But sometimes I agree with their grade - which I guess they've overgraded by MCS standards, right? lol

But not some random eBay seller, no way to judge.

Edited by ttfitz
Clarification that I buy BOOKS from ft88, not ft88 himself.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, Poekaymon said:

Then with a auction highest bid wins.

You just have to go inside the book and take a clean photo of every anomaly then you will still get returns.

We are talking about the general public.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:03 PM, kav said:

asking for a grade, when a seller's grade means absolutely nothing, seems odd.  "Could you assign some random grade to this book so I'll buy it?  I know people grade wrong on ebay but could you do it anyway?  I know I can force a return even if you dont list a grade but again could you do it anyway?  Yes I realize a listed grade means zippo and doesnt alter any outcome ever but-COULD YOU JUST DO IT????"

It does make sense for someone who doesn't know anything, which is why I made the comment I did previously which apparently confused some people.  If you really have no idea, then you might as well gamble that the person listing it has some idea.  There is a chance you'll be like blind buying from the blind, but I guess it's better than nothing in that case.  I can't see why anyone else would care whatsoever what some yahoo put in the description to try to sell his book.  But I admit that the ways of the Beyonder are a bit of a mystery to me still.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:12 PM, southern cross said:

Then with a auction highest bid wins.

You just have to go inside the book and take a clean photo of every anomaly then you will still get returns.

We are talking about the general public.

Surprisingly, have gotten very few requests.  Maybe my due-diligence-inspiring description and no return label is actually working!