• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 11:09 PM, ttfitz said:

And anyway, a grade is nothing but one person's opinion on what the condition of the book is. 

The opinion of the person selling the book.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Just to answer the original question, I cannot confirm that this buyer does not know what they are talking about. Could be manufacturing or a crappy trim job. I am leaning towards the former but we can't be sure unless we send to CGC. I've seen too much weird stuff to rule anything out. It's definitely an odd element that should be mentioned in the listing if one wants to ensure that the e-bay sides with them if things get hairy.

Also, I misspoke as I previously used the term refund and return interchangeably, though they are different things. Not entirely sure if Ebay can force a return but they can definitely force a refund.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:21 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I’m always wary of people who don’t take returns. Like why?

I'll tell you a secret.  I fill out my listings with "no returns," but I've actually never refused or tried to fight a return.  In my 23 years selling on eBay, I actually haven't gotten many refund requests, but I have given them to 100% of the people who have asked.  100%.  But since you asked, the reason I say no returns is that I want you to be wary.  That is the whole point.  I want you to be more thoughtful, to pass if you are on the fence, to ask for an additional picture if you need more to go on, to ask questions if you need to.  I want you to do your due diligence before you bid because I really don't care if I lose bids--I'd simply prefer not to deal with returns.  At the end of the day I know someone can always stomp on their box and claim shipping damage or whatever and get a refund anyway, but then that's on them.  

On 2/28/2022 at 11:21 PM, comicginger1789 said:

He probably didn’t see the flaws in the pics and you never mentioned. Work out a refund and re list noting the flaw. Move along folks, move along…

I didn't mention it because I didn't even notice it when I bought it myself.  But you know what? If I had noticed it after I bought it, and I went back to the listing photo and it was visible there as well, and I  had just missed it somehow, then I wouldn't have asked for a refund.  I believe in a little personal accountability, though I understand that's in rarer and rarer supply these days.  Anyway, he was refunded in full before I even posted this thread, so you needn't worry about that part.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 2/28/2022 at 8:52 PM, Poekaymon said:

I didn't mention it because I didn't even notice it when I bought it myself.  But you know what? If I had noticed it after I bought it, and I went back to the listing photo and it was visible there as well, and I  had just missed it somehow, then I wouldn't have asked for a refund.  I believe in a little personal accountability, though I understand that's in rarer and rarer supply these days.  Anyway, he was refunded in full before I even posted this thread, so you needn't worry about that part.

I'm the same way-if I see it was my mistake I suck it up.  And have done so with ebay purchases.

I don’t deal with problems like this. I avoid arguments and headaches. I offer 100% free returns and fully refund buyers requested amounts. I don’t have time for hassle. If a buyer doesn’t want the item they can send it back. I’m like Walmart. Why should you force them to keep something they don’t want. I haven’t had a negative in handful of years

On 3/1/2022 at 1:30 AM, littledoom said:

I don’t deal with problems like this. I avoid arguments and headaches. I offer 100% free returns and fully refund buyers requested amounts. I don’t have time for hassle. If a buyer doesn’t want the item they can send it back. I’m like Walmart. Why should you force them to keep something they don’t want. I haven’t had a negative in handful of years

That's one reason I've given full refunds to 100% of the people who ask.  But you got one part wrong: putting no returns (but still giving full refunds if they ask despite that) is literally the least possible headaches--if even one of them are dissuaded from returning, then you saved the hassle of a return and relist.  And if they aren't dissuaded, then you refund them just as you would have if you offered the refund. 

This looks like a production defect to me, that was folded over by the original owner, as has been previously stated. I don't think there's any nefarious trimming going on, just a bad miscut at the printer.

As for returns, if so far you've had good luck with your "no returns" policy, congratulations! The fact is that eBay will bend you over and do as they please, regardless of what you accept. Maybe you'll go 100% and never have to take a return, and that's great. Maybe a buyer will open a case, and eBay will find in your favor. Also great. But they also can, and will, take that money straight out of your account if they don't agree with you in a case resolution, regardless of what you accept. I also "don't accept returns". Usually this isn't a concern. In 25+ years of selling, I've had only a handful of returns opened up. And generally, they've found in my favor. But a couple of times, they didn't, and you'd better believe they took that money out of my account, regardless of what box I had checked off. 

As for grading, anyone who is going to sell comics should learn how to grade, or at least make the effort. I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of buyers aren't as concerned with a grade being "CGC accurate" (whatever that would mean these days) as they are with HONESTY and FULL DISCLOSURE. Put up scans, take lots of pics, describe every single thing you can find worth describing about the book, and then stick your grade on it. I generally give a range. "Right around VG to VG/FN". "VF range". "GD to GD+". Just give them a idea. The buyer may not agree, but if they have all of the pics, all of the descriptors, AND you make the attempt to grade the book honestly, you shouldn't ever have to worry about a return due to condition.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:24 AM, Poekaymon said:

That's one reason I've given full refunds to 100% of the people who ask.  But you got one part wrong: putting no returns (but still giving full refunds if they ask despite that) is literally the least possible headaches--if even one of them are dissuaded from returning, then you saved the hassle of a return and relist.  And if they aren't dissuaded, then you refund them just as you would have if you offered the refund. 

Yeah there’s no reason to give 95% refund of $100. That $5 difference might lead to a negative. I have to offer free 30 days refunds as part of eBay’s Top Rated Seller requirement. Leads to a lot of “just didn’t like it” but that’s the cost of saving on some fees

I do no returns...it only really addresses the flippers and buyer's remorse people. Avoid item not as described and you will be fine with the rest of people. I started no returns a few months ago (not on everything) and notice no difference. If I am selling a full run of eternals (which I did) and only get 12 photos, we are going no return.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:25 AM, F For Fake said:

This looks like a production defect to me, that was folded over by the original owner, as has been previously stated. I don't think there's any nefarious trimming going on, just a bad miscut at the printer.

Fact: The copy shown in the images has a production defect.

Speculation: Based on the images, it appears that somebody tried to "fix" the defect at some point by cutting off some of the excess paper. The images are... not the greatest, but that's sure what it looks like.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Lazyboy said:

Fact: The copy shown in the images has a production defect.

Speculation: Based on the images, it appears that somebody tried to "fix" the defect at some point by cutting off some of the excess paper. The images are... not the greatest, but that's sure what it looks like.

I agree with the fact part.  And the rest is certainly speculation.  My own speculation is that nothing was "fixed," just got unfolded as someone said earlier in the thread.

Question: if someone at the print clipped the edges of some misprinted books wouldn't that be a 'production defect' since they work there? hm 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, Poekaymon said:

Maybe if they did it to all of em.

thats what she said.

You should WANT TO accept returns because at least youll get back what you shipped out.

Sellers with no return policy risk a buyer damaging your book just to have  a reason to file a not as described case against you.

Lets say the buyer had trimmed those pages himself...how would you prove who did it?

Ebay will side with the buyer and youll get a damaged book back.

Not worth it.