• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s with all the US ONLY selling threads?
4 4

162 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2022 at 11:52 PM, vaillant said:

Well, on average it looks cheaper than what we have here in Italy. Up to 2-3 books (up to 350g) I have to charge $20. :-(
Of course, for more expensive packages I tend to use courrier shipping (DHL) which starts at 39 Euro, but I try to offer a $30-35 flat rate to meet the buyer halfway.
For us, to foreign customers, PayPal charges about a 5.5-5.6% regardless, be it the cost of the object or postage, it does not make any difference.

Nice to know. I envy the Paypal charges

On 3/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, alexgross.com said:

i ship all over the world with DHL. they are pricey but very reliable. canada is super easy. 

brazil on the other hand is one place i will no longer attempt. i sent an art print there a few years ago, brazil customs opened it up, creased it all over, possibly used it as a placemat, and then after 6 months in limbo it was returned to me in that sorry state. 

Nice to know too. Unfortunately, I am not used to receive international packages, so I cannot tell about problems with our customs. From comments of people that buy electronics, problems are not uncommon.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:22 PM, Kramerica said:
On 3/8/2022 at 6:37 PM, Raze said:

Can sellers not pay for postage via paypal? I have sent books to Canada and the buyer paid with paypal, so I just paid for postage on there.

Even if they don't pay via Paypal you can still log in and use Paypal Shipping. Paypal shipping saves a ton of time otherwise spent standing in line doing the Customs thing and I've been using it for almost 5 years now. You can even have your mail carrier take it at your door and scan it right there. I use mostly 1st Class Air Mail up to 4 pounds and Priority anything after that.

I haven't ran a sale in a while, but isn't Paypal Shipping still cheaper than USPS website or window?

On 3/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, lizards2 said:

I haven't ran a sale in a while, but isn't Paypal Shipping still cheaper than USPS website or window?

generally yes, although there are few other services that give similar benefits, like stamps.com (and others).  But yes, typically that's cheaper.  And while that makes a difference with a high volume business, its probably not enough to impact the decision of buyers to sell/not sell internationally.  

In MOST international cases with comic selling, you're required to still physically go to the US post office and wait in line, even if you pre-printed your label on paypal for cheaper.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:20 PM, lizards2 said:

I think so. Ive only had to use it a few since paypal now uses ship station.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, revat said:

generally yes, although there are few other services that give similar benefits, like stamps.com (and others).  But yes, typically that's cheaper.  And while that makes a difference with a high volume business, its probably not enough to impact the decision of buyers to sell/not sell internationally.  

In MOST international cases with comic selling, you're required to still physically go to the US post office and wait in line, even if you pre-printed your label on paypal for cheaper.

Maybe - I take everything to the PO anyway, to insure it is scanned in for tracking, so would not know.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, lizards2 said:

It is. Because you are a Paypal member and upstanding member of society you get preferential treatment. It looks like they've gotten a Facelift too and they are now called Paypal Shipstation. And if you don't have an order there (in case someone pays you via Venmo) you have the Create New Quick Label option and you just input where you're shipping. None of my friends on the CGC Board Peeps should be waiting in line at the Post Office with the hoi polloi! Here's a link that can take you to the Promised Land:

https://paypal.shipstation.com/sales-orders/new

I don't think PayPal offers Regional Rate A or B options though... At least it didn't when I shipped using that option recently. I had to go to the USPS site directly.  Of course, that could be attributed to what we call "User Error". 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, revat said:

why? I never wait in line, drop off like domestic at numerous post offices.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:40 PM, fastballspecial said:

Honestly my international sales have dropped off a cliff the last few years. I ship Flat Legal and don't shipping gouge, but 
in my experience Canadians have dramatically lowered their purchases from US. I thought maybe including the GSP
would help and it really didn't. 

GSP hinders Canadian buyers.  It sure as hell "helps" nothing.  It adds needless expenses to Canadian buyers.  As I've always said, since when is eBay or whoever the hell runs the GCP, a licensed collector of fees for foreign countries?

On 3/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, pemart1966 said:

GSP hinders Canadian buyers.  It sure as hell "helps" nothing.  It adds needless expenses to Canadian buyers.  As I've always said, since when is eBay or whoever the hell runs the GCP, a licensed collector of fees for foreign countries?

I've done both ways. Neither helps in my opinion I've just accepted the days of large international sales is over.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:18 PM, sckao said:

I don't think PayPal offers Regional Rate A or B options though... At least it didn't when I shipped using that option recently. I had to go to the USPS site directly.  Of course, that could be attributed to what we call "User Error". 

Correct - you have to purchase at USPS site, unless something has changed recently. I think you can buy postage for them at the PO now, but I think they charge you more. The Regional Rate boxes are a good option to keep in mind.

Just to give a snapshot of the timeframes of some recent board purchases.  3 packages received this week from the US, 2 yesterday (both shipped on Mar. 8, so 1 week to get here) and 1 received today which was mailed on Friday...so less than a week).  Almost like US domestic shipping, eh? 

Edited by habsfan1

I am pretty sure I've always shipped to Canada...and I have not done many sales lately, but when I Do...I get lovely pms from people I've known for a long time telling me that the exchange rate is a killer, or they would buy the book. 

I'm with whomever else said that it's embarrassing to ask the over the top  amount for postage.

I'm careful now to specify U.S. only if I include shipping...because a few times people took books who were not in the US and the shipping was more than the book was worth, lesson learned, almost;)

HOWEVER, I do ship to Canada. 

I wish there was a way to figure out postage in advance, because it makes it tough to post a shipping price.

I got burned 3 times on EBay selling out of country without tracking. Buyers claimed they never got it. If you add tracking, the rates are crazy. Learned my lesson.

I only sell to buyers here that are out of country and are in good standing. Never had a problem. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, habsfan1 said:

Just to give a snapshot of the timeframes of some recent board purchases.  3 packages received this week from the US, 2 yesterday (both shipped on Mar. 8, so 1 week to get here) and 1 received today which was mailed on Friday...so less than a week).  Almost like US domestic shipping, eh? 

For comparison, here is an item I purchased on eBay through the GSP - I have not yet received it. Woodhaven, NY to Ottawa is 450 miles.

1526603329_Screenshot_20220317-1437482.thumb.png.72bc806b89b752084dce94aa96342611.pngScreenshot_20220317-143816.thumb.png.8daa679f6350ea5399734015c5e8a428.png

Edited by Kripsys99

Tips for board members selling to Canadians via the boards, eBay,or other means:

1. Don't use GSP;

2. Ship via USPS. Other carriers charge Canadians brokerage fees, and always assess duty. USPS packages are processed through Canada Post/Canadian Border Services, no brokerage fees are charged, and duties are often waived;

3. Charge us MORE for the above noted services. We're used to paying more for shipping, and will happily do so up front if we have some certainty about the final cost to us, and as long as we know we're not getting ripped off by eBay, UPS, or FedEx.

4. Use the extra money you charge us to make standing in line at the Post Office worthwhile, and to offset any losses from opting out of GSP.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, Artboy99 said:

I just wish there was a way to indicate it is USA only in the title so I dont waste my time looking at the listing.

I agree it would be nice to have it in the title so we could just bypass the seller entirely.