• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously???
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bookery said:

Maybe I'm jaded, as I originally came from the rare book market (and maybe it's time to return!) -- but there's no way rare book collectors would pay anything for a sliver of leather off the cover of a first edition of MobyDick.  There sometimes is a market for single pages from famous works... but they have to be really significant (Shakespeare folio, Gutenberg bible) , and are generally from the 1400s or 1500s (or earlier).

All good thoughts! But IMO there is *something* to this 'No. 1' being visually recognizable, and seared into the retinas of generations of collectors, that makes this a not-perfect analogy. It's just odd and kind of jarring to us, as collectors have never before attached importance to this tiny bit of the cover before. It's also not a sale that can really be replicated, as it's not like other collectors have their own Action #1 'No. 1' scraps tucked away.

Again, it makes me think, I would love to see that bottom-2/3rds-of-an-Action-#1 cover come up for sale again today, as the iconic Superman drawing is the much more significant and well-known element of the cover.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's the back cover image:

act1.16328b.jpg.4fb43b108789ccf8fb8106ce72b82938.jpg

That's either the natural colouring from the interior ad, or the owner cut his finger when he chopped it up. 

Hide contents

hm

action-comics-superman-jumbo-comic_1_6c1770d2c135da57a6cf308ba4a5c452.thumb.jpg.a4b65bbc43da56500293db50e2b310fe.jpg

Looks like some of the red construction paper or whatever it was glued to is still attached to it…

On 3/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Superman2006 said:

Looks like some of the red construction paper or whatever it was glued to is still attached to it…

Typical. It's the size of a gnat's arse and there's glue on it :p

On 3/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, sfcityduck said:

You think CGC would continue to certify it if someone married the "1" to a reconstruction of the cover?

I've no idea. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

This "hobby" has now reached peak stupid.

Yes. It seems stupidity is quite lucrative though, doesn't it.  

On 3/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, Gotham Kid said:

What he said. When you start grading flakes, staples and tiny pieces of a comic book then no end to the lunacy/stupidity.

I completely agree with both of you. It's no longer about the thing in question, but the idea of it.

@topofthetotem posted this in the Water Cooler:

This invisible sculpture just sold for over $18K

On 3/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I completely agree with both of you. It's no longer about the thing in question, but the idea of it.

@topofthetotem posted this in the Water Cooler:

This invisible sculpture just sold for over $18K

How long does it take to carve an invisible sculpture? Is it expensive to ship?

On 3/21/2022 at 10:32 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

This "hobby" has now reached peak stupid.

Yes. It seems stupidity is quite lucrative though, doesn't it.  

I foresee greater stupid. Not sure what it is yet, but the market will find a way...

On 3/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

And what about insurance?

I can provide that, for a nominal fee.

I can also supply other similar quality works to the buyer for a not so nominal fee.

Edited by szav