• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on dealing with a Presser who lost two of my books- where to post this?
6 6

100 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2022 at 8:15 AM, Lpgk said:

as someone outside the loop, it's an outsiders perspective. might not be worth chasing this guy down, only to win and never be able to recover anything. take the L and move on with your life. 

and please post him here on the boards so we know to avoid him. at best, he is unorganized and unprofessional. at worst, he pulled a fast one and kept the books for himself or "misplaced" them. 

That's what I thought when I read through the details. They are 2 reasonably big books and the guy is a collector himself. He really likes them, decides he wants to keep them and starts telling lies to make it happen. It's like those cases where a pet sitter looks after a dog, becomes attached to it then refuses to give it back when the owner returns. Just a suspicious theory of course. Either way I think you should take what you can get as Bird suggested and keep your financial & stress costs to a minimum

On 3/23/2022 at 7:04 PM, B2D327 said:
On 3/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, shadroch said:

why not take some future credit as part of the deal. 

At this point, if he continues to send any more books to this person, he should have his head examined.

Exactly. Anyone would would send books to this person again after how this went down would deserve whatever happened to them. 

Why the op is still protecting this person’s identity almost a year after sending him his books is beyond me. Many of us buy and sell books on multiple platforms and to be honest with you, he probably sold your books ages ago and been viewed by more than a few of us. Way too many excuses with being stolen, then lost to think that “presser” is honest in any way, shape or form and keeping certain details obscured isn’t helping your case and giving that person the opportunity to do it again

On 3/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, B2D327 said:

Why the op is still protecting this person’s identity almost a year after sending him his books is beyond me. Many of us buy and sell books on multiple platforms and to be honest with you, he probably sold your books ages ago and been viewed by more than a few of us. Way too many excuses with being stolen, then lost to think that “presser” is honest in any way, shape or form and keeping certain details obscured isn’t helping your case and giving that person the opportunity to do it again

occasionally you see a ponzi scheme like this (I'm suggesting this is a ponzi scheme).  The victim won't turn them in because the 'schemer' convinces the victim that IF THEY DON'T REPORT it, there's still a chance to get your stuff/money back.  BUT IF THEY REPORT IT, the authorities getting involved or the business dying essentially means there is NO CHANCE of getting your money back.  And the victim doesn't need the money urgently and the bad guy might generate sympathy with alleged bad luck.  And so the victim keeps delaying reporting/suing/outing the bad guy.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:39 PM, iexx said:
On 3/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Were those the best two books of the 48 you sent? 

Yes

Lucky guess on my part, eh?  

My guess is he saw the two best books, liked them, kept them. 

On 3/23/2022 at 7:45 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

pshaw

I am sure it was just random luck

A case could be made to tell the attorney you are going to contact the police for theft if you do not get proper restitution.

Maybe add that you'll break his legs and tell his boss he doesn't respect comics.

I'm not a lawyer though.

(take the money asap. if any snakes in the grass out there know him and are reading here they WILL be snaky and point him here. snakes be snaking. get a thousand dollars now and put it into new commics yourself, get out while you can.)

On 3/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

what a nifty coincidence, that the two best most valuable books were the ones that were lost. as well as the fact these were the ones that blew up in the past few years. 

he is offering $900; you want $2000. I would seek to meet in the middle which should get you enough to get raw copies of what you're missing.

i would be hesitant to out the guy too... until i got it resolved and reimbursed. at this point, all bets are off. for the good of the community here,  i hope you out him. 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

the proper reimbursement should be getting you the same two books today, or the money for you to purchase the books today.

This.  The pressor has lost your books and should replace them.  He's responsible, and frankly incompetent, and should make you whole.  But the OP should be aware that refusing the pressor's offer to make him partially whole could result in getting nothing.

iexx please let us know who this pressor is once this is resolved.  

On 3/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, thehumantorch said:

This.  The pressor has lost your books and should replace them.  He's responsible, and frankly incompetent, and should make you whole.  But the OP should be aware that refusing the pressor's offer to make him partially whole could result in getting nothing.

iexx please let us know who this pressor is once this is resolved.  

if he's a professional he should have contacts to replace the books. the books aren't rare especially in the grade described.

forget the money, he should just replace the books. probably cheaper for him and better for you. 

On 3/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, iexx said:

That's resaonable.  The 46 are with CGC so I haven't seen his work, but he has a very good reputation.

Would you really consider sending more books to this guy?  Considering he loses books, he changes his story, and he's not a stand up person.  What if he loses more of your books or damages them?  Ignore his reputation, you know better.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

forget the money, he should just replace the books. probably cheaper for him and better for you.

greggy jr. is right for a change.   Have him replace the books in grade. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:30 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 3/23/2022 at 8:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

greggy jr. is right for a change.   Have him replace the books in grade. 

It would be really hard for the presser to decline that offer without looking horrible. What can he say? Its too much money?