• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - Needing help! Book stolen
3 3

192 posts in this topic

Not UPS but in terms of tracking that was completely wrong I once sent a painting to someone in California. I checked the online tracking...DELIVERED in Florida. I immediately emailed the buyer and said I would look into this. He got back to me later that evening. Oh there is no problem...I have the painting right here. (shrug)

On 3/23/2022 at 10:04 AM, Mmanick said:

I was never rude or disrespectful in my calls to either place. Frustrated and firm absolutely but never outlandish. I’ve worked customer service before. 

I've heard this often from people.  Most of the time it's people yelling about trying to get over on something and say how they work in customer service blah, blah, blah...I always think I'm my head, "if you work in customer service then you should understand the process."  The customer is not always right.

During the height of Covid,  I bought comics that were shipped from MN to New England by USPS. They got to NJ in two days,  then sat there for a week. Then went down to Georgia, Florida and back up to Maryland again. Weeks later it got as close as Eastern MA and I called USPS and asked them to hold it,  then drove the 5 hours round trip to retrieve it.  

I gave them a pass because covid was creating havoc on shippers, but that was one well traveled comic. 

On 3/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

I've heard this often from people.  Most of the time it's people yelling about trying to get over on something and say how they work in customer service blah, blah, blah...I always think I'm my head, "if you work in customer service then you should understand the process."  The customer is not always right.

Opinions vary. Where I worked at you better kiss up to the customers or you were gone. I don’t need to act like a donkey to get my points through despite what people think. Each process is different as well. 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:09 AM, Tnexus said:
03/21/2022
6:56 P.M.
Claim in Progress
A claim has been issued to the sender for your package. Please contact the sender for more information.
Ceres, CA, United States
03/15/2022
1:19 P.M.
An investigation has been opened for your lost package.
Ceres, CA, United States
03/08/2022
7:01 P.M.
On the Way
A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be delayed by one business day.
Bakersfield, CA, United States
03/04/2022
5:48 A.M.
Arrived at Facility
Jacksonville, FL, United States
03/04/2022
1:05 A.M.
Departed from Facility
Sarasota, FL, United States
03/03/2022
10:00 P.M.
Origin Scan
Sarasota, FL, United States
03/03/2022
9:10 A.M.

Label Created
Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.
United States

On 3/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, Mmanick said:

**update: Spoke to shipping manager from UPS and in his investigation hes telling me the package has never left the CGC in Sarasota FL they concluded that the package is lost somewhere in cgc's warehouse or vault.

I'm just wondering what his howls of laughter sounded like after that shipping manager hung up the phone with you.:facepalm:

On 3/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, shadroch said:

A few years ago,when I was still selling mystery boxes here, I got a complaint from a guy whose package arrived all taped up. I had the label showing it weighed 27 pounds when I mailed it, but he said it was less than 10 pounds. Evidently, it had broken open in transit, and there was a note inside the box to that affect. We worked out a partial refund and I figured it was over.  A month or so goes by and I come home to find two boxes on my front stoop.  Within the box that had broken open, I'd packed the books in boxes I'd recieved. Somebody in the PO somewhere found these two boxes and sent them to me. I'd only lightly taped them as they were going into a bigger box but thats how they were returned to me after being who knows where for weeks.

Damage happens.  When I first started working for Canada Post one of the jobs I had was moving carts under a giant parcel sorting machine.  As carts filled up I'd have to move them out and replace them with empty carts and as trucks came into load I'd move them to the loading dock.  The operator would punch in the postal code for a parcel, it would travel down conveyor belts until it reached the correct cart - there were about 80 under this machine - and then a paddle would swing and hit the parcel off the conveyor belt to a chute that would drop the parcel into a cart.  Unfortunately the drop was about 8 feet into a large metal cart.  If a parcel survived the drop into the cart it still had to dodge subsequent falling parcels.  Wasn't unusual for a heavy parcel to fall on a parcel in the cart and crush it.  Eventually someone purchased small mattresses to place in the carts to soften the blow but I'm not sure it helped a lot.  I'm sure that machine is long gone and I hope it was replaced by something more gentle.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:11 PM, wombat said:

But this is kind of the point. At the end of the day it is not reasonable to expect zero packages to get lost/stolen/whatever from any shipping company. These things will absolutely happen to someone. So then you go from there. 

Agreed.

And I'd like to thank the OP for taking the hit, so that the odds on my packages are better.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:38 AM, Mmanick said:

I agree and couldn't understand that but once the warehouse/ shipping manager said they never actually got the package I couldn't believe it.

Do you still believe the story the shipping manager told you?  It seems pretty clear from the tracking that UPS did in fact receive the package and they pay out the insurance claim on the shipment.  

On 3/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Do you still believe the story the shipping manager told you?  It seems pretty clear from the tracking that UPS did in fact receive the package and they pay out the insurance claim on the shipment.  

At this point I don’t know what to believe. No one seems to knows anything rather it’s cgc or ups. I finally got through to a shipping manager at cgc and he believes the package was stolen off a ups truck. At this point I don’t know where it took place so I can’t even call LCS’s in that area nor can I file a police report. I’m just hoping some day my book pops up and I’ll get it back. 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:05 PM, Mmanick said:

At this point I don’t know what to believe. No one seems to knows anything rather it’s cgc or ups. I finally got through to a shipping manager at cgc and he believes the package was stolen off a ups truck. At this point I don’t know where it took place so I can’t even call LCS’s in that area nor can I file a police report. I’m just hoping some day my book pops up and I’ll get it back. 

They're both pointing fingers at one another, but why does it show tracking on your shipment if it's still with CGC?  Also, why would UPS send a claim to the sender (CGC) if they didn't have the book?  It seems pretty clear that UPS wasn't being completely open about the case, but you're still refusing to accept the truth that it got lost with UPS.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:20 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

They're both pointing fingers at one another, but why does it show tracking on your shipment if it's still with CGC?  Also, why would UPS send a claim to the sender (CGC) if they didn't have the book?  It seems pretty clear that UPS wasn't being completely open about the case, but you're still refusing to accept the truth that it got lost with UPS.

I just don’t know what to believe and now another update on the tracking just happened. Another thing I was told is UPS does not like to pay the 100 insurance claim. I just hope my book shows up and all of this goes away. 

EA27CF93-D139-4C35-AD6B-39C12E0FF497.png

Well it looks like it may still get to you since there is recent tracking on the book.  Since you filed the claim and they paid it out, does that mean they get to retain the book?  Honestly, your situation sucks.  Hopefully karma doesn't bite you on the butt and they wind up retaining the book because of the claims you opened.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:33 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Well it looks like it may still get to you since there is recent tracking on the book.  Since you filed the claim and they paid it out, does that mean they get to retain the book?  Honestly, your situation sucks.  Hopefully karma doesn't bite you on the butt and they wind up retaining the book because of the claims you opened.

The claim is not an actual claim it’s an investigation done by their claims department is how it was explained to me. As I said before I have not received any money at all. They wouldn’t retain the book either way. You would think UPS would call or contact cgc about this if something has been found but nothing has been done and I’ll be calling myself to see what’s going on. 

Edited by Mmanick

On 3/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, Mmanick said:

I just don’t know what to believe and now another update on the tracking just happened. 

I think you can believe that shipping manager at UPS was full of s**t.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, Mmanick said:

The claim is not an actual claim it’s an investigation done by their claims department is how it was explained to me. As I said before I have not received any money at all. They wouldn’t retain the book either way. You would think UPS would call or contact cgc about this if something has been found but nothing has been done and I’ll be calling myself to see what’s going on. 

I wouldn't think they would call or contact anyone if they found a missing box.  They have a freaking missing trailer full of boxes, plus boxcars of missing freight.  It'd probably take months to call everyone whose package went missing off that trailer and the boxcars.  Your box is just as unimportant to them as every other missing box.  Constant calling isn't going to get someone out of their seats to go searching for your box.  It's just not that important to them.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

I wouldn't think they would call or contact anyone if they found a missing box.  They have a freaking missing trailer full of boxes, plus boxcars of missing freight.  It'd probably take months to call everyone whose package went missing off that trailer and the boxcars.  Your box is just as unimportant to them as every other missing box.  Constant calling isn't going to get someone out of their seats to go searching for your box.  It's just not that important to them.

Which is exactly why I won’t stop trying to locate it. I’m being proactive I don’t sit and wait for things to happen for me. Closed mouths don’t get fed. I also don’t think everyone called. Rather the UPS manager is full of spit is to be determined.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:10 PM, KCOComics said:

The latest update would lead me to believe they know where the package is and it may be delayed (shrug)

How far is San Pablo from you? Can you go pick it up? 

I really think the OP is jumping the gun, and should just wait for his package.  I mean really only 20 days in the mail is not a stolen book like the title of this thread states. Be calm and wait for your book it will get to you. Once I waited nearly a month for 10K book during the worst time of Covid Talk about stressed, but it got to me.