• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
4 4

333 posts in this topic

I went to over 20 places trying to find the Bumblebee but they where no where to be found.  Watching the facebook pages you see people with like 40 of them.  Went to a toy show and a local person had over 20 of them and wanted $10 bucks each.  I said keep them.  Its getting silly the amount of resellers of these that I don't even waste my time keeping up with what's in the new cases because I know for fact that my local Dollaramas that the staff are pillaging them or holding them for other customers.    Dollarama one day a lady goes oh you like hot wheels and went in the back and brought them out.  All boxes where open and all the mainlines and treasure hunts where not in them and and it was multiple cases.

Funny you mentioned grocery store.  That where I have been finding in the big boxes where there is just piles of them the better looking ones.

I thought at one point Mattel stated that they where going to start stocking the shelves themselves because of what has been going on.  /shrug

Edited by whisp

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 2:57 PM, whisp said:

I went to over 20 places trying to find the Bumblebee but they where no where to be found.  Watching the facebook pages you see people with like 40 of them.  Went to a toy show and a local person had over 20 of them and wanted $10 bucks each.  I said keep them.  Its getting silly the amount of resellers of these that I don't even waste my time keeping up with what's in the new cases because I know for fact that my local Dollaramas that the staff are pillaging them or holding them for other customers.    Dollarama one day a lady goes oh you like hot wheels and went in the back and brought them out.  All boxes where open and all the mainlines and treasure hunts where not in them and and it was multiple cases.

Funny you mentioned grocery store.  That where I have been finding in the big boxes where there is just piles of them the better looking ones.

I thought at one point Mattel stated that they where going to start stocking the shelves themselves because of what has been going on.  /shrug

Yeah, the scalpers and resellers have really put a damper on collecting these. Not to mention employees snatching stuff before it hits the racks. Being a vintage comic collector I really find it amusing when the HW guys say they are “valuable”. Some local guys spend the day driving around burning gas for cheap dollar children’s toys hoping to find that one worth $30 to in rare cases $100.

I hit basically two spots on certain days and times. A small Target very close to my house. Their pallets hit the floor at 4:30 and the cool girl who unloads them always lets me look in the boxes.

The other is a Ralph’s grocery store also very close to home that loads the racks on Tuesday mornings around 7:00 am. I made friends with the girl who stocks them. We do our weekly shopping on Tuesday and she saves them for me. I have gotton the only 2 Supers I’ve found this year there.

I rarely go anywhere else. It definitely helps to be nice to the folks who work there.

I did get lucky and find a Bumblebee at Target. Only because I got to open the box. One thing I have learned is the grocery stores get the old cases. So if I am patient and bide my time, the local grocery stores will get current cars like the Bumblebee in a few months.

Other than just a few cars a year, I don’t really collect them. But my daughter does so I mostly buy them for her. Mostly, I just like just hunting for them. It’s ALL about the “hunt”…

And by the way, in a few months they will be reissuing the Bumblebee in a new metallic gold color.   :gossip:

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/30/2024 at 8:03 PM, whisp said:

Added an other Batmobile to my collection.  Been trying to get any batman versions I see.  :)

image.jpeg.e793affc711baf4200f116812f4c747a.jpeg

So far these are what I have.  Seems every release there is a new Batmobile or something.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bab9f62da78ea67a09ea77a959feb70.jpeg

Nice! At one time I collected these as well but got burned out when they released so many of them. Often only a color difference.

Do you have this one? It is a Treasure Hunt car from the E case. If not, keep an eye out. The grocery stores keep dumping out older cases. This one is only about 4 months old.

IMG_9381.jpeg

On 8/31/2024 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice! At one time I collected these as well but got burned out when they released so many of them. Often only a color difference.

Do you have this one? It is a Treasure Hunt car from the E case. If not, keep an eye out. The grocery stores keep dumping out older cases. This one is only about 4 months old.

IMG_9381.jpeg

Nope.  I have only found in all my time one Treasure Hunt which was the Pixel Shaker.  I don't even bother checking cars anymore and just grab the ones I like.  Only reason I got that Pixel Shaker is because some of the Lego compatible ones that look good I buy.

On 9/7/2024 at 4:19 PM, Raze said:

Found this today dont know much about. Does anyone know if this is rare? there's one on eBay for $220 but finish at $5-$10. I thought it was interesting that's why I bought it.

IMG_3232.jpg

That is one of the key chain models. They were impossible to find when they first came out. This is a later model. $5. seems to be what they go for now.

On 9/7/2024 at 7:28 PM, Robot Man said:

That is one of the key chain models. They were impossible to find when they first came out. This is a later model. $5. seems to be what they go for now.

That’s what I thought. I just never seen one before and a lady opened a case in front of me. I don’t know which case it was and put them on the shelf. There were two of these. I bought one and left one in case somebody wanted it I also don’t know any treasure hunts or super rare so I did not look other than, flipping through them. Here are some of the ones I bought today. 

IMG_3233.jpeg

On 9/7/2024 at 5:44 PM, Raze said:

That’s what I thought. I just never seen one before and a lady opened a case in front of me. I don’t know which case it was and put them on the shelf. There were two of these. I bought one and left one in case somebody wanted it I also don’t know any treasure hunts or super rare so I did not look other than, flipping through them. Here are some of the ones I bought today. 

IMG_3233.jpeg

Nice, love the Cougar. Wow a fresh box. That doesn’t happen very often. Looks like case K. The first photo below is the Treasure Hunt. The bottom is the rare Super Treasure Hunt…

Both VERY sought after.

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

On 9/7/2024 at 9:40 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice, love the Cougar. Wow a fresh box. That doesn’t happen very often. Looks like case K. The first photo below is the Treasure Hunt. The bottom is the rare Super Treasure Hunt…

Both VERY sought after.

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

I didn't see ethier one of these. When I first got there , there were 5 cars on the rack and on a endcap there was a display box. I was looking for Batmoblies and cool looking cars and she walked up to me and said " I just put a case out" so I went to have a quick look. It would have been fun to find a rare or super rare but oh well...

This is new to me this week. A friend was having a clear out and thought of me. I told him this is a significant model and he just shrugged, wanted me to have it. Needless to say I was very happy! It has some toning, but very few chips and the redlines are nice and clear with maybe 80% of the chrome foil on the wheels. The motor is a little wonky/loose but for a gift horse (or bug,) I'm not going to complain. 

HotWheels VW Bug Paint Version.jpg