• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, Robot Man said:

Here are a couple current examples.

The MB FedEx truck is for some reason on fire and VERY hard to find.

The HW ‘71 Porsche is much cooler but a little more available.

If you could only buy one, which would you buy? 

IMG_6999.jpeg

Is that the "rolled back odometer for resale" edition? :roflmao:

On 6/27/2023 at 6:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Rarer than hen’s teeth to actually find a Super Treasure Hunt but stumbled on this one today while shopping for groceries…:banana:

IMG_7005.jpeg

I forget. Isn't there something about the packaging that points these out to you? I've since noticed them at nearby stores, if you could remind me so I can look?

On 6/27/2023 at 6:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I forget. Isn't there something about the packaging that points these out to you? I've since noticed them at nearby stores, if you could remind me so I can look?

Oh ya the the for treasure hunter. I keep almost remembering, it just takes a while lol

For the Super TH cars there are 3 distinct things to look for

1.) They are always a very metallic color that sets them aside from the "mainline version'

2.) There is always a TH mark somewhere on them. This one is very dark in the rear quarter panel

3.) They have this gold symbol printed on the car just under it in the blister pack

It helps to have access to this website. I keep it on my phone. Certain cars come in certain mixes or boxes and in the case of Supers one in maybe every 8-1-0 random boxes. Every box usually has one regular Treasure Hunt (also marked in the blister). 

It helps to study the website. Also the box mix letter is printed on the top of the back of the card. When you see a real full rack turn one over to find out what mix it is. It actually gets easier once you have done some hunting. The hard part is being first on a new box...

Check out this website

https://www.hwtreasure.com/treasure-hunt-checklist/

IMG_7007.jpeg

I've been interested in Hot Wheels for a while now but didn't want to start another collection of stuff. However I recently gave in and bought a few cars. I want to keep my collection small and for display only so I joined Red Line Club and plan to collect only certain RLC cars. At first I was interested in collecting Super Treasure Hunts but finding them in the wild is nearly impossible. Therefore I think RLC offers a high quality, collectible product that I can display and at an OK price. I weigh the time it takes to find STH cars versus the premium cost for RLC so I think spending the extra cash is reasonable. Below is my first buy and my real life dream car.

HWlambo.jpg

Yeah, those are beautiful. My daughter also buys those. They are very limited and sell out in minutes I hear. She got me a cool Batmobile for Christmas.

These are also a good alternative. The 5 car sets if “Car Culture”. They are very premium. A little larger, all metal with rubber wheels. There is also a “Chase” car in random boxes. Kind of like a Super TH. Priced at around $6.

Yeah, finding Supers is very hard. But it is all about “the hunt”. The buzz you get when you find one. I mostly buy HWs for my daughter but do keep a few for myself. Was happy to get the Godzilla and Beatles Yellow Submarine.

Without getting obsessive about it, I’ve taken to hit very local Targets and grocery stores on certain days and at the times they restock. Hunting is the most fun part. I have had pretty good luck even finding a few Supers. 

Like most things, HW cars are very available on sites like EBay and even though you have to pay more, they are fairly cheap.

Watch out though. They can get very addictive and if you aren’t carefull, you can go overboard…

IMG_7011.jpeg

On 6/29/2023 at 8:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, those are beautiful. My daughter also buys those. They are very limited and sell out in minutes I hear. She got me a cool Batmobile for Christmas.

These are also a good alternative. The 5 car sets if “Car Culture”. They are very premium. A little larger, all metal with rubber wheels. There is also a “Chase” car in random boxes. Kind of like a Super TH. Priced at around $6.

Yeah, finding Supers is very hard. But it is all about “the hunt”. The buzz you get when you find one. I mostly buy HWs for my daughter but do keep a few for myself. Was happy to get the Godzilla and Beatles Yellow Submarine.

Without getting obsessive about it, I’ve taken to hit very local Targets and grocery stores on certain days and at the times they restock. Hunting is the most fun part. I have had pretty good luck even finding a few Supers. 

Like most things, HW cars are very available on sites like EBay and even though you have to pay more, they are fairly cheap.

Watch out though. They can get very addictive and if you aren’t carefull, you can go overboard…

IMG_7011.jpeg

Agree on them being "cheap". Way cheaper than collecting vintage comic books lol. I could probably have a nice collection of RLC and STH HWs for the price a low grade SA Marvel key. Not even a major key.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, solm4st3r said:

Agree on them being "cheap". Way cheaper than collecting vintage comic books lol. I could probably have a nice collection of RLC and STH HWs for the price a low grade SA Marvel key. Not even a major key.

Indeed. Even most vintage Red Lines.

I bump into other “hunters” at the racks. They often tell me that they are “worth a lot of money”. I snicker a bit and tell them I collect GA comic books. I showed a guy some closed EBay GA auctions. I think it was WAY out of his level of comprehension…

I just consider it s little fun diversion and keep it way under control. 

I have a small Target store nearby. They seem to get new boxes pretty often on Friday. I have found if I get there just before 5:00 pm, they are bringing the carts out for stocking. I have gotton lucky there many times.

Made my weekly trip on Friday and they had this box on the cart. I always check the printed code on the side to see what mix it is. This one was real weird. The nice lady sliced it open for me. A very weird case J mix which I had never seen. I sound found out why. It contained several 3 car Target exclusive sets that come out 4 times a year. Be on the look out for these “Red Editions”.

I grabbed a bunch of cars for my daughter as well as a few for myself including the Toyota Super Treasure Hunt! My second Super in a week!

And as a bonus, they also had a box of two sets of the premium Car Culture sets. I was shocked to find a Chase Lamborghini in the box. Marked 0 of 5. The equivalent of a Super TH in the mainline set.

Best trip ever to this store and one of the best weeks of “hunting” ever. 

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7020.jpeg

IMG_7019.jpeg

On 7/2/2023 at 8:53 AM, Robot Man said:

I have a small Target store nearby. They seem to get new boxes pretty often on Friday. I have found if I get there just before 5:00 pm, they are bringing the carts out for stocking. I have gotton lucky there many times.

Made my weekly trip on Friday and they had this box on the cart. I always check the printed code on the side to see what mix it is. This one was real weird. The nice lady sliced it open for me. A very weird case J mix which I had never seen. I sound found out why. It contained several 3 car Target exclusive sets that come out 4 times a year. Be on the look out for these “Red Editions”.

I grabbed a bunch of cars for my daughter as well as a few for myself including the Toyota Super Treasure Hunt! My second Super in a week!

And as a bonus, they also had a box of two sets of the premium Car Culture sets. I was shocked to find a Chase Lamborghini in the box. Marked 0 of 5. The equivalent of a Super TH in the mainline set.

Best trip ever to this store and one of the best weeks of “hunting” ever. 

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7020.jpeg

IMG_7019.jpeg

The Toyota Supra STH is very nice. Congrats.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:29 PM, solm4st3r said:

The Toyota Supra STH is very nice. Congrats.

Thanks. It seems to be well liked and in high demand. Not particularly one of my favorites. My favorite of the year is upcoming. The Mercury Cyclone Gasser.  If I don’t get lucky, the Toyota will be good “trade bait”. 

On 7/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks. It seems to be well liked and in high demand. Not particularly one of my favorites. My favorite of the year is upcoming. The Mercury Cyclone Gasser.  If I don’t get lucky, the Toyota will be good “trade bait”. 

The supra :takeit:

Funny story. My first post in this thread was over a year ago. My local grocery store had gotton a new (at the time), N case. I missed the TH and have yet to see it again. Apparently, this was a VERY hot car.

Well happened in this morning at the same store for a few things and of course checked the rack. Well, lo and behold, there was a fresh rack! They put them out before the store opens so if you get there by say 6:30, I am usually first. I figured a fairly fresh case but turned out a couple of old N cases. hm

I quickly scanned them and there right in front was the TH. Picked through and found another one. One for each of us. No Super and she long ago got the ones she wanted from that case.

So added the two to my cart and out I went. This is what makes this so fun. Cheap thrills for a couple bucks. 

IMG_7039.jpeg

On 7/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, Robot Man said:

Funny story. My first post in this thread was over a year ago. My local grocery store had gotton a new (at the time), N case. I missed the TH and have yet to see it again. Apparently, this was a VERY hot car.

Well happened in this morning at the same store for a few things and of course checked the rack. Well, lo and behold, there was a fresh rack! They put them out before the store opens so if you get there by say 6:30, I am usually first. I figured a fairly fresh case but turned out a couple of old N cases. hm

I quickly scanned them and there right in front was the TH. Picked through and found another one. One for each of us. No Super and she long ago got the ones she wanted from that case.

So added the two to my cart and out I went. This is what makes this so fun. Cheap thrills for a couple bucks. 

IMG_7039.jpeg

That's so cool! It also amazes me with the frequency that these are put out, or at the very least, the amount that shipments get in and are put out on the rack. :headbang:

I've only now really seen that stores, other than the target and usual etc, carrying them, and that they don't "look to sell that much" compared with the amount yours seem to restock lol