• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2023 at 6:35 PM, Robot Man said:

I like those too. I believe I posted some vintage Matchbox earlier on in this thread. By all means, post away some cool ones! 

I don’t have any (anymore).  As a kid, I was more Matchbox than Hot Wheels. I can’t fall down anymore collecting rabbit holes. For some odd reason I just developed an interest in vintage Parker ball point pens and fountain pens and it’s already out of control. 

Edited by NoMan

Thanks to this thread, every time I'm at the grocery store or Target, I'll find myself looking at the Hot Wheels for about 2 minutes.  Then I'll snap out of it and realize I don't know what the :censored: I'm even looking at and keep going.  

I'm still entertained by what you guys find, though!

On 4/19/2023 at 6:42 PM, NoMan said:

I don’t have any (anymore).  As a kid, I was more Matchbox than Hot Wheels. I can’t fall down anymore collecting rabbit holes. For some odd reason I just developed an interest in vintage Parker ball point pens and fountain pens and it’s already out of control. 

When I was a kid, there wern’t any Hot Wheels just Matchbox. They came in a little box for 50 cents. My grandmother bought them for me. I didn’t collect them just played with them.

For many years I have bought and resold them as well as Red Line Hot Wheels at shows but rarely kept any. I have a few I’ve hung on to but don’t really seek them out for myself.

I have dabbled in vintage fountain pens but have limited knowledge of them as they just don’t interest me much other than making a little money from them. 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, Beastfeast said:

Thanks to this thread, every time I'm at the grocery store or Target, I'll find myself looking at the Hot Wheels for about 2 minutes.  Then I'll snap out of it and realize I don't know what the :censored: I'm even looking at and keep going.  

I'm still entertained by what you guys find, though!

I mostly buy them for my daughter. She has educated me a bit so I know what to look for. There are actually “unboxing” videos on line for upcoming cases. You can find out the limited ones and what to look for.

The best part is the “thrill of the hunt” and the buzz you get when you are lucky  enough to be first on a new restock which doesn’t happen very often. 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, Raze said:

I’ve mentioned before that I only collect Batmobile‘s for the most part when it comes to hot wheels and found three new ones today, but only picked up one just because I liked the color scheme.

IMG_0534.jpeg

Looks a bit like the minsters mobile! Or similar to one of their hotrods with the fanned back, that bigger back tire compared to the front I haven't seen on a hit whelk recently either. Cool. :x

On 6/26/2023 at 5:09 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

My uncle was big into Matchbox , until he discovered Hot Wheels. I guess it could be considered another Marvel vs. DC debate?

Lol

Yeah, kind of. Marvel=HW and DC=Matchbox. Matchbox, although a smaller market, still has a very loyal following among vintage collectors.

Ironically, HW bought out Matchbox years ago to eliminate the competition. They still make Matchbox but the card aren’t usually as splashy and sometimes a little harder to find.