• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the reason for having a text story in comic books ?

17 posts in this topic

I assume it's because the writers were paid by the word and it was an easy way to rack up word count without devoting a lot of page space or creator personnel. 

On 4/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, Ryan. said:

I assume it's because the writers were paid by the word and it was an easy way to rack up word count without devoting a lot of page space or creator personnel. 

and it was a great way for publishers to fill in the page count (either increasing it cheaply so the books seemed like a better deal compared to other comics, or account some other strips that had an odd number of pages or additional advertising they managed to get or loose)

On 4/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, bc said:

By including a 2 page text story, they qualified for a cheaper postage rate (magazine rate).

As usual, its all about the money.

-bc

Yes I have read this as well. I redact my original answer and amend to this one. 

Edited by Ryan.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, bc said:

By including a 2 page text story, they qualified for a cheaper postage rate (magazine rate).

-bc

I'm guessing the post was used for distribution of the books to the newsstands ? 

On 4/1/2022 at 8:13 AM, bc said:

-bc

that's correct. By the time the Marvels were in full swing, the sales and distribution with IND picked up to all time highs and the text stories were no longer needed and were quickly replaced by house ads for new comics and a fun letters page(s) by the Editors and fan mail. 

Edited by Primetime

On 4/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, bc said:

-bc

Agreed, the text story was so the Post Office would accept comics at the cheaper magazine rate

On 4/1/2022 at 3:00 PM, Lukesaurus said:

Anyone knows the reason for this ? I tried reading a few but they are not very good and I can't think of anyone buying a comic book for the text story . 

I disagree entirely.

While some are complete dross, there are many factual stories in PCH, as well as some first class original ones.

I like 'em. Obviously I prefer artwork stories always, but sometimes the text stuff is surprisingly good.

I've noticed certainly amongst PCH publishers that text stories were switched around in different issues, some would appear word for word, and some would have minor changes.

Better a text story than 2 more pages of ads, although sometimes the ads are important historical artifacts in their own right. 

"What's the reason for having a text story in comic books?"

Reason #1 (actual): To meet postal regulations for what qualifies as a magazine in order to get cheaper postal rates. (thumbsu

Reason #2 (my reason): To prove beyond a doubt that Marvel Mystery #2 from Dec. '39 is actually a WWII cover in spite of the blitzing aircraft not bearing a distinct nazi symbol! :canofworms:

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zpsrga1qcjf.jpg.731d690e9dc32fdd0457dbdad186797a.jpg

Reason #3 (another bragging rights reason): To show off the early work of Mickey Spillane! :devil:

Spoiler

f719677f-f6c1-448c-86f4-ef406187c31d_zps40178a8b.jpg.0808c5f15e7a42a961efdf837279127d.jpg

:cheers:

On 4/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I disagree entirely.

While some are complete dross, there are many factual stories in PCH, as well as some first class original ones.

I like 'em. Obviously I prefer artwork stories always, but sometimes the text stuff is surprisingly good.

I've noticed certainly amongst PCH publishers that text stories were switched around in different issues, some would appear word for word, and some would have minor changes.

Better a text story than 2 more pages of ads, although sometimes the ads are important historical artifacts in their own right. 

Dross....... I had to Google that word....

Nice one (thumbsu