• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, Krydel4 said:

Bats 1 has the greatest comic book villain of all time in the Jokers first appearance, the Origin of Batman, and Catwomans first appearance. Those 3 factors put it ahead of Cap 1 (and Superman 1, in my opinion, as it's just reprinted material.)

Superman #1 isn't just reprinted material. Why do people keep saying that? it's also the first appearance of the Kents as well as the first time the planet Krypton is named.

As the first comic devoted solely to a single superhero, it's incredible important (yes, Skippy was the first book of a single character, and that was so successful that they waited five years before trying it again here).

On 4/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I believe there was a day when Feature Book #26 beat both Action 1 and Tec 27! 

75E46D52-2063-49C0-907B-39D2F38D27C0.jpeg

yes along with 4/color4 Donald Duck and FC 9 Flash Gordon

here is my 2030 prediction as to the top 5

Action 1-still the king and always be

D27 a very very close second, almost a tie

Captain America 1...after the 9.8 sale

Superman 1...just not that many high grade copies out there, its gonna fade

Batman 1--great book, its price gets even closer to Superman 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:49 PM, Crowzilla said:

Superman #1 isn't just reprinted material. Why do people keep saying that? it's also the first appearance of the Kents as well as the first time the planet Krypton is named.

As the first comic devoted solely to a single superhero, it's incredible important (yes, Skippy was the first book of a single character, and that was so successful that they waited five years before trying it again here).

My bad. I always forget it has the Kent's and Krypton. If it had the first appearance of Lex Luthor in it then it would definitely be top 3. 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:49 PM, Crowzilla said:

Agreed, Sean. Plus, the rarity factor is also there with Supe 1...It's earlier too, 1939. Supe 1 - never owned; same for Tec 27 and Action 1. That said, the Joker and Catwoman have always scored some major 1st appearance points with Bat 1. But, I'm a Timely guy, so it's Marvel 1 for me. I like Cap 1, but I don't love it. I have swapped Bat 1 for Cap 1 (and vice versa) twice in my career to experience both. The Reilly Cap 1 was unseen since the late 70s/early 80s, and has since sold publicly twice in the last two years. It's always fun to see a comic book hit 7 figures. 

the thing we can't forget when suddenly elevating Cap 1 higher on the list is that the copy was a 9.4. The only other 9.4 that has sold of the books on the list is the Batman 1 last year.  I have no doubt that it's now worth closer to 4M now. And jeez, how much does anyone here think a 9.4 Action 1, Tec 27 or Superman 1 would sell for?   Or, forget the actual grade and, as the Second Highest graded/known copy,  compare it to the Second Highest graded/known copies of each book:  9.0 Action 1, 9.2 Tec 27, 8.0/8.5 Superman 1 and 9.4 Batman 1.   Each of these would or "maybe" already has smashed Cap's 3.2M!  So to me, good for Cap 1. Smashed a home run. but lets let the other big boys step up to the plate again now and see what they go for before we jump Cap 1 in 3rd place or higher.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mmehdy said:

Thanks for going out on a limb there. :eyeroll:

On 4/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Then I heard the guy shout to someone "all clear to raise the values on cap 3!"

Was the guy on the phone Mitch “The Market Maker” Mehdy?

On 4/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Mmehdy said:

yes along with 4/color4 Donald Duck and FC 9 Flash Gordon

I don't ever see Cap 1 Beating Sups 1. Especially after today announcement of the Church 8.0 copy selling for 5.3 mil.

From my understanding there are at least 2 better copies of Sups 1 out there as well.

Just imagine how much more the Cap1 would have sold for if the Superman #1 sale had been public knowledge before the auction.

Even Mitch "Criswell" Mehdy said yesterday Superman will fade and that Cap is #3 now, so if an 8.0 8.5 Superman #1 is worth 5 mil, the Cap is probably a 6-8 million book today.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, Bronty said:

1939 vs 1941... nuff said.     Its pretty similar to comparing a 1964 marvel to a 1962 marvel.    Even if the '64 character gets hot, its got an uphill climb to catch up value wise.

Never heard that analogy made, and it is a great one.  So true.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

Never heard that analogy made, and it is a great one.  So true.

Thanks.   You know, it just kind of occurred to me one day when I was trying to understand why Cap 1 was a relatively common GA key.    Those first couple years in the GA and SA were hugely transformative and a book from the beginning of that period, in each case, is a very different animal from a book at the end of those couple years.  

On 4/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, Primetime said:

Let's not forget Marvel Comics #1 - "The Greatest Comic Book Ever Published" :x

@CW @BitterOldMan @shortboxed @Ameri @VintageComics

Hey buddy. Sorry, I haven't been around here much. 

Yep, to me Marvel #1 is my favorite book of all time. I never dreamed about owning other GA keys but I always dreamed of owning a Marvel #1. 

On 4/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, VintageComics said:

Hey buddy. Sorry, I haven't been around here much. 

Yep, to me Marvel #1 is my favorite book of all time. I never dreamed about owning other GA keys but I always dreamed of owning a Marvel #1. 

congrats on brokering the big sale

On 4/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, Robot Man said:

Don’t we already know Supe will always kick Cap’s butt? 

Agreed, wouldn't be much of a fight... Superman would just throw Cap into the sun.  

Oh wait, that was how Superman was supposed to beat the Hulk when we argued about it in second grade. :slapfight: