• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 1:23 PM, Gaard said:

Silly me. All this time, I thought they were just dolls.

They were also some of the original influencers. Like comic books were, too, at least as far back as the late 1930s.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr

On 7/23/2023 at 1:39 PM, namisgr said:

No, 'woke' is defined in consensus as being alert to and concerned for discrimination and inequality.  Always has been.  Webster's, Cambridge, it's how all the most popular dictionaries have it.  That certain figures have twisted its decades-long meaning into something used as a derogative is a subject that is not allowed for discussion here on the boards.

As to whether the movie came across as heavy handed, I can't comment - my wife and I plan to wait until the frenzied crowds thin out before seeing it (and Oppenheimer, too).  Both certainly seem to be generally liked a lot by audiences so far.

Some just need to let the whole anti-woke thing go and grill up a good hotdog or two.

mountain_dew_dogs.thumb.jpg.290b3852ebe9195b0d0b4932444e36e4.jpg

:fear:

Edited by Bosco685

I saw this last night with the girlfriend,daughter,sister and niece. I was pleasantly surprised how good this was. It was a fun movie. Another thing that I wasn't expecting was it was a social event. I went to this movie theatre called Chunky's Cinema Pub where you sit at tables and order food and a beer or two. A lot of women showed up cosplaying Barbie, even a couple of dudes wore pink shirts which I thought was cool. People were laughing and having a good time. 👍 to this movie.

Now tonight I will see part 2 of Barbenheimemer when I go with my best buddy to see Oppenheimer. 

I expect that to be good too. 

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 7/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, D84 said:

Can we leave it to I liked the movie or not. I'm sick of how often discussions on these boards get political. 

I give this comment a THUMBS UP!

51rwJP90hmL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Administrator

Going forward, the word w oke (:censored:)has been added to the word filter, and will not be allowed in discussions.  Attempts to circumvent the word filter will result in points added to your account.  Furthermore, if this thread doesn't move away from a political discussion, it will be locked and their will be no more Barbie movie threads.  

Since I don't think any of you were little girls when you got your first Barbie doll, I'll just make a few comments.  In the beginning, Barbie was not in the least anything that would inspire girls to shatter any glass ceilings. Her shoes were impossible to wear, her waist something that you'd have to literally starve yourself to maintain and her chest was impossible. The biggest selling outfit was the wedding dress, because of course "all little girls dreamt about being married". 

Did Barbie get better jobs later on...yes, but she was very behind the times;) 

I'm interested in going to see the movie, but NOT because the original doll inspired young women. The original doll inspired swollen feet, foot problems, a sore back and anorexia. 

I much preferred comics to dolls when I was growing up...but that was because I had an older male cousin I was very close to and I found out that boys had the much better toys...trains...chem sets...getting the clothes on and off those dolls was boring, lol... 

On 7/23/2023 at 5:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I had a feeling those Mountain Dew Dogs were trouble.

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

I'm amazed that there is a big enough market for these to be produced. It's certainly not something I'd buy, but I would try one if offered at a BBQ or someplace. 

I have not had a Mountain Dew in forty years or so.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, jcjames said:
On 7/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, TupennyConan said:

...This literature's chockablock with an entire Webster's Dictionary of technical, academic, nonsense jargon deployed by angry thinkers to cloak their angry thinking in pseudo-intellectual sophistication. Radical social theorists thrive on the confusions they can exploit in both traditional ways of thinking and in competing avant-garde social theories. In this sense, every radical social theorist's efforts at hegemony is doomed to failure by the very nature of their project. This also accounts for the persistence of tradition...

This describes almost all faculty today in almost every academic department in almost every college and university in the country. xD

The hard sciences still don't care about social status or politically correct opinions, so you won't find many pseudo-anythings in colleges of math and science.

If anything, the study of the sciences exist for the sole purpose of proving each other wrong with evidence because it's the only way forward (and the only way to fame in science, if someone really is trying to find fame in the sciences). 

To keep us on topic, here's a version of Barbie as a scientist. It is not typical of the appearance of an average scientist today, but Barbie has always been about what could be "tomorrow" for those still growing up today... so who knows.

61IWK5WPZLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by valiantman

On 7/24/2023 at 10:25 AM, shadroch said:
On 7/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I had a feeling those Mountain Dew Dogs were trouble.

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

I'm amazed that there is a big enough market for these to be produced. It's certainly not something I'd buy, but I would try one if offered at a BBQ or someplace. 

I have not had a Mountain Dew in forty years or so.

Their target audience is those who haven't had a Mountain Dew in forty minutes. :kidaround: