• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 2
16 16

330 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2022 at 5:53 PM, ttfitz said:

I had it at 2.0 - that's a really big piece missing for a 3.0, IMO. I know the rest is in pretty good shape - I had it much higher before I realized that wasn't actually the Watcher's hand - but still.

I've seen many 2.5s-they can have fairly large pieces missin and rusty staples.  Really ragged book.
2.0s-omg-bad.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, skypinkblu said:

I hope they start using a different color background, Blue would work with black and white books

Yeah, really hard to see on the black.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, skypinkblu said:

I thought the cover was detached on the FF, the back staple looked like it was restapled...that and the 9.6 on the X-men hurt. I kept looking at the white line on the left. I understand it now it was glare, but I was not sure.

Did much better on this round, X-Men got me - you know ole "Midrange" Tim don' know nuttin' about them high grade books. Was nervous about giving it a 9.0 as there are usually lots of stuff I don't see on these nicer books.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:37 PM, skypinkblu said:

I hope they start using a different color background, Blue would work with black and white books

I thought the cover was detached on the FF, the back staple looked like it was restapled...that and the 9.6 on the X-men hurt. I kept looking at the white line on the left. I understand it now it was glare, but I was not sure.

mike mentioned 2 books had glare.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:55 PM, kav said:

I've seen many 2.5s-they can have fairly large pieces missin and rusty staples.  Really ragged book.
2.0s-omg-bad.

I think this is a place where Overstreet really differs - I think you'd be lucky to get a 2.0 with a piece that large, in the artwork area, under Overstreet guides.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:53 PM, ttfitz said:

I had it at 2.0 - that's a really big piece missing for a 3.0, IMO. I know the rest is in pretty good shape - I had it much higher before I realized that wasn't actually the Watcher's hand - but still.

Myself also + the big stains...I also OG the Bat.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:02 PM, apoptosis said:

I really struggled with the Batman Annual #10.  How much do you guys take of or max grade for that full spine color rub?  I graded at 6.0

The dirty back probably took it down to 8.5 then the spine rub another 2 grade points.

Edited by kav

On 5/3/2022 at 7:53 PM, ttfitz said:

I felt really good about 2.5. I've seen books get higher grades, with chunks that size out of the cover, but I did not think this one would get a three.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 5/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:
On 5/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I had it at a 4.0 after second guessing my initial 3.5...:facepalm:

I had it at a 1.8 :whatthe: that's what killed me this round.

I had it at a 1.8 as well, between the tape pull or whatever on the front, heavy staining on the back, etc. That accounted for 3 of my 6 points this round : (

I have a lot of 2.0's and 2.5's that look a lot better than that FF, with no other major defects noted in the graders notes; I might need to resubmit some of them it that FF can get a 3.0.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, ttfitz said:

I think this is a place where Overstreet really differs - I think you'd be lucky to get a 2.0 with a piece that large, in the artwork area, under Overstreet guides.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, CJ Design said:

Myself also + the big stains...

On 5/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, sledgehammer said:

I felt really good about 2.5. I've seen books get higher grades, with chunks that size out of the cover, but I did not think this one would get a three.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, Superman2006 said:

I had it at a 1.8 as well, between the tape pull or whatever on the front, heavy staining on the back, etc. That accounted for 3 of my 6 points this round : (

I have a lot of 2.0's and 2.5's that look a lot better than that FF, with no other major defects noted in the graders notes; I might need to resubmit some of them it that FF can get a 3.0.

Agreed.  Between that and the misgrading of the Marvel chipping in the first round, CGC errors have cost me 5 points so far.  If CGC was more in line with the rest of the world, I'd have a combined score of 14.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, flashlites said:

I kinda tanked on this round. I think I scored a 7 or an 8 so......Really messed up on the Subbie!

Here you go making me feel bad, when my 8 this round was an improvement (with 3 of them coming on the X-Men) and you feel like you tanked! lol

On 5/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

Did anyone else see the small hole in the top left corner of the X-men? No just me? :facepalm:

Round 1 - 7

Round 2 - 14 DOH!

yup