• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 2
16 16

330 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2022 at 8:52 PM, kav said:

image.png.12530326225edafc2187dc8ce10ed126.png

You can mock my business practices all you like, but I'll have you know that all graded GAE™ comics are varnished into their inner wells with only the finest of polyurethane sealants--virtually ELIMINATING the appearance of Newton Rings!

Grades by Axe Elf... building a better mousetrap since 2022.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:10 PM, grendelbo said:

This round 2 bulleyes, 2 books off by a grade. The X-Men steams me - I had it at a 9.6 but talked myself down to a 9.2 today because of that pinhole tear.

I have the same experience with you in last round.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:12 PM, JollyComics said:
On 5/3/2022 at 5:10 PM, grendelbo said:

This round 2 bulleyes, 2 books off by a grade. The X-Men steams me - I had it at a 9.6 but talked myself down to a 9.2 today because of that pinhole tear.

I have the same experience with you in last round.

I'm poking pinholes in all my books immediately!

On 5/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Was there an update on the standings yet?

naw

On 5/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, Comics4All said:

Life got in the way & I forgot to submit my grades! :pullhair:

Good luck everyone! 

nope

On 5/3/2022 at 9:21 PM, kav said:

Maybe think of this contest as "What would CGC grade this?" like everyone else?

I actually did better this round when I graded myself than when I tried to figure out "what would CGC grade this?"

On 5/3/2022 at 11:48 PM, Comics4All said:

Life got in the way & I forgot to submit my grades! :pullhair:

Good luck everyone! 

Hey, no fair, you were one of the few people I was ahead of! But you probably would have done better this round, and I'd fall behind.

Figuring this stuff out is hard.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, Point Five said:

Phew, got clobbered on the Subbie!  It looked pretty sharp to me.

To me as well -- I gave it a 9.0 VF/NM.  :cry:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Book 8 (Sub-Mariner 8) will be the Round 1 & 2 book with the largest difference between the CGC grade (8.0 VF) and the mean contestant grade (as yet unknown).  That distinction is currently held by Book 5 (Secret Wars #8, Dutch Edn), where the difference was ∆ = 0.7 (CGC = 6.5 vs contestant mean = 7.2).  We shall see ......

"Very small tear left top of front cover"

10d.thumb.jpg.d3ac19282295906936f769bf8898dac9.jpg

Do y'all think the Grader Note is referring to that blemish above the RV in MARVEL (which I assumed was a "harmless" printing anomaly rather than a tear)?  hm

On 5/4/2022 at 5:52 AM, zzutak said:

"Very small tear left top of front cover"

10d.thumb.jpg.d3ac19282295906936f769bf8898dac9.jpg

Do y'all think the Grader Note is referring to that blemish above the RV in MARVEL (which I assumed was a "harmless" printing anomaly rather than a tear)?  hm

That's what I thought it was too, a harmless printing defect. Its difficult when we don't have the books in hand. It also worked against me on the Subbie, what I guessed was a printing issue and harmless was actually 'light staining' (is what I think they called it). Once again if we had the books in hand we would have graded accordingly. So it kind of makes me feel better? :frustrated:doh!:pullhair: