• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, Point Five said:

Agreed with all this! But I still guessed 4.5. A grade of 4.0 seems reasonable, but there have been many examples in the past where CGC seemingly has come down on the side of 'it may be an ugly example of grade X, but it's a grade X all the same'. Ah well.

It's probably "unhelpful" that the book does look prematurely aged for a Bronze Age book in particular. A GA book with the same wear and weathering likely squeaks out the 4.5.

Β 

I was even tougher on that book and gave it a 3.5 and felt it deserved it/ still staining and discolored is kinda baked into 4.0 ("Some staining, minor soiling" as it reads in the grading guide) but for me if I were handed this book at one of our club meetings to grade I would have given it a 3.5. Just a little too much grime on there for me to go to a 4.0.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, flashlites said:

I was even tougher on that book and gave it a 3.5 and felt it deserved it/ still staining and discolored is kinda baked into 4.0 ("Some staining, minor soiling" as it reads in the grading guide) but for me if I were handed this book at one of our club meetings to grade I would have given it a 3.5. Just a little too much grime on there for me to go to a 4.0.

Yes, Flash, that's exactly what I gave it also...maybe the dark scan was the prob, but that back looked like a magnified down, stained, and dirty Hendrix "Foxy Lady" 🎸🎡😎

Edited by CJ Design

On 5/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's a grotty looking book. It may have the structural attributes of a 5.0, but the staining and grot set it aside from a brighter, cleaner looking book in the same structural condition. CGC don't like stains, the saying goes. The darkened photos don't help.Β 

"grotty" now that's a word I haven't heard in a while. Not since that old B&W movie of my favorite band. I had MS5 at 3.5 it just looked pretty bad.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Just Visiting said:

"grotty" now that's a word I haven't heard in a while.

At least it wasn't "grooty," which is when there is something that has taken root and is sprouting from your book.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, CJ Design said:

Yes, Flash, that's exactly what I gave it also...maybe the dark scan was the prob, but that back looked like a magnified down, stained, and dirty Hendrix "Foxy Lady" 🎸🎡😎

I'll take a Hendrix reference any day of the week! Huge fan!

"I've made up my mind
Yeah, I'm tired of wasting all my precious time
You got to be all mine, all mine (even at 3.5...)
Foxy lady"

On 5/10/2022 at 7:14 PM, flashlites said:
On 5/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, CJ Design said:

I'll take a Hendrix reference any day of the week! Huge fan!

"I've made up my mind
Yeah, I'm tired of wasting all my precious time
You got to be all mine, all mine (even at 3.5...)
Foxy lady"

That spider-man and reverse flash?

Is coming to getcha! Look out here I come! :headbang:

Β