• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

I have to rethink my grading standards.  I would never assign a grade of 5.5 FN- (or even 5.0 VG/FN) to a book that has the amount of front cover creasing and back cover dirt as that ASM Annual #1.  Is it possible to instruct CGC to route my submissions thru a specific grader?  hm

On 5/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Gman65NJ said:

On the negative side, that HTD just blew me out of this completely but on positive side my collection of raws that have yet to be graded just went up in value significantly. 9.6! 

got a bullseye on the howard.

Well, best round so far at 6, I think.  Two bullseyes.  Still over-graded the other three.  

edit: I did not over-grade the Howard, lol.  Had it as 9.2

Edited by Axelrod

So, Im comparing the graders notes with mine. Graders dont detract from writing on the covers? No points for stains? Crime Suspense andSpidey Annual both had markings. Crime had an "x" on the decapitated head and Spidey had "15" in the middle on the front cover. What gives? I dont think thats right. I know, I am whining. I scored another frakkin' 12 points and Im frustrated!!!!Ah well....

???:pullhair:

On 5/7/2022 at 5:33 PM, zzutak said:

I have to rethink my grading standards.  I would never assign a grade of 5.5 FN- (or even 5.0 VG/FN) to a book that has the amount of front cover creasing and back cover dirt as that ASM Annual #1.  Is it possible to instruct CGC to route my submissions thru a specific grader?  hm

5.5's just aren't what they used to be :sorry:

I must not have collected my thoughts that first round, when I saw the first round grades, it "made sense." 

I don't know that I've adjusted anything, just tried to be a little more realistic haha

I'll leave the ballpark figures to another time :sorry:

Ballpark GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 5/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, zzutak said:

For your own safety, and the safety of others, please don't drive at night.  :foryou:

dont be bitter.  it happens.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:33 PM, kav said:

I saw all the water stains and still didnt think it was anywhere near a 3.5 but I was wrong.  CGC does not need to 'learn from me'.  I was wrong.
@Galen130

Haven’t lookd at anything.  Wife is sick in bed, similar to what i had earleir this year.  Running to pharmacy again. :ohnoez:

On 5/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, grendelbo said:

12 points this round which is 3 more than I had the first two rounds combined.

13 points first round which is 2 more than I had in the second two rounds combined.  :)

So I trail you by 3; the exact difference between GAE™ grading of "Marvel chipping" and CGC grading of the same defect...

Edited by Axe Elf

I over-graded quite a bit this round, don't know what I was thinking. That last round knocked me from 3rd place overall to somewhere near the bottom in one shot. I've been consistently undergrading compared to CGC in each round until the last one and  am usually only off by a grade or 2, not 5-6 grades on a single book. 1st round? 5 points. 2nd round? 2 points. 3rd round? 16 freaking points lol.

Edited by Complex306

On 5/7/2022 at 7:55 PM, Axe Elf said:

13 points first round which is 2 more than I had in the second two rounds combined.

So I trail you by 3; the exact difference between GAE™ grading of "Marvel chipping" and CGC grading of the same defect...

ya where were our heads at that first round lol 

I way overgraded nearly every single book...... I'm just glad these contest's happen more often, Lord willing, keep sharp and congrats on the last few rounds! :headbang: