• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm just glad these contest's happen more often, Lord willing, keep sharp and congrats on the last few rounds!

I would never risk any of my nice Vampirellas just to use the prizes offered, so for me the contest is only about seeing how my three months of experience would stack up against people who have been doing this for a while--so if I finish in the top half it's a win.  I think that would be 77th (of 154 total entrants, right?)...  I think I was tied for like 85th after Round 2, but the 5 points in Round 3 should ladder me up a few.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, skypinkblu said:

I saw the staining on the Showcase at the top, figured it was distributor's ink so I didn't deduct enough on that one and took off too much on Howard.

I figured the same, and the same with the Howard, gave IT a 9.4.

What I didn't do with the showcase is blow up the pics, otherwise I'd have seen the fairly big creases :eek: sheesh! I should have been more diligent with the darker cover :wishluck: 

Two bullseyes!

Crime Suspenstories #22  3.0
Howard the Duck #1 9.4  (my first thought was 9.2 because it has a light color break crease at lower right corner so I decided to raise one point higher).
Marvel Spotlight #5 4.0
Showcase #19 3.5

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 5.0  (5.5 with two tears?  No way!)

On 5/7/2022 at 7:33 PM, zzutak said:

I have to rethink my grading standards.  I would never assign a grade of 5.5 FN- (or even 5.0 VG/FN) to a book that has the amount of front cover creasing and back cover dirt as that ASM Annual #1.  Is it possible to instruct CGC to route my submissions thru a specific grader?  hm

This :sumo: 

I felt really good about my grades for this round ---no bullseyes though I was tougher on every book--but really felt these books deserved it, soiling, tears and creases, what looked like a little rat nibble on the corner of one. The Ghost Rider was filthy front and back as I recall. If I would have bumped every book I would have had 4 bulls!:pullhair:

On 5/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Those lines are part of the art.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

Yeah looking back I did misinterpret a couple of those. Lesson learned

I knew I should've taken my copy out to compare (although it's nowhere close to a 9.6).

Looking at the book again now I must've been seeing things because some blemishes are no longer there. 

I was way, way, way off. :frustrated:

On 5/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, flashlites said:

I felt really good about my grades for this round ---no bullseyes though I was tougher on every book--but really felt these books deserved it, soiling, tears and creases, what looked like a little rat nibble on the corner of one. The Ghost Rider was filthy front and back as I recall. If I would have bumped every book I would have had 4 bulls!:pullhair:

I might have considered the MS5 foxing but not sure, it looked to evenly distributed to be actual soiling, but idk.

I've had nice 7.5's with tons of foxing so took my best presentation estimation :) 

• Administrator
On 5/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, Just Visiting said:
On 5/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Flammenwerfer said:

Spidey Annual looks like it was c&p..

It does look a lot cleaner

None of these books were cleaned and pressed after they were scanned.  The raw images were darkened some to make the defects more visible.  

On 5/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, CGC Mike said:

None of these books were cleaned and pressed after they were scanned.  The raw images were darkened some to make the defects more visible.  

OK, thanks for the info.

1 bullseye, 6 points total…my worst round.  If that Howard is a 9.6, then Im spiderman.  Back to taking care of the wife…

43757716-4194-434C-AD4F-F4674BF87809.jpeg