• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, grendelbo said:

OMG, I just blew my chances for the contest on that Howard the Duck.

:facepalm: :censored:

I don’t think you’re the only one. That book had issues and did not deserve that grade at all.  And somebody needs to take that CSS and resubmit it. Me and a couple of my friends independently graded it at 3.5.

Edited by Westy Steve

On 5/7/2022 at 8:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Crime Suspenstories 22

Multiple split spine

Multiple tear cover

Multiple crease cover breaks color

Tape interior front cover

Tape page 9

Don't know how much it might play into the grade, but feel like interior defects are something that should be specified.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

10 this round. Would've done great but Howard killed my score. I guess all those defects along the top edge didn't matter after all.

Yep, every Howard I looked at - including graded 9.8s - had those exact same marks.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, 1Cool said:

Wow - I had the Duck at a 9.0 but could see 9.2.  9.6 was not even in my mind.

Given my "don't know nuttin' bout no 9s" deal, I decided the strategic play was 9.4 so I'd be within 2 points either way.

Kidneys.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Flammenwerfer said:

The Duck was 9.6 Wutt..I thought I saw ink stains on his sword :shiftyeyes:

That's bleed-thru from the inside cover. Something else I noticed on a bunch of Howard's that I looked at.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, ttfitz said:

Don't know how much it might play into the grade, but feel like interior defects are something that should be specified.

agreed.  everyone who overgraded should get a one point mulligan.  If I knew there was tape, I would have gone with 2.5.

Edited by kav

Interior tape won't matter in it's grade range (GOOD-ish). Even if it's a very large tear the tape is mending. So long as nothing's missing that effects art or story.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, Westy Steve said:

I don’t think you’re the only one. That book had issues and did not deserve that grade at all.  And somebody needs to take that CSS and resubmit it. Me and a couple of my friends independently graded it at 3.5.

I wasn't that low but my points from missing that book alone were almost my combined points through the first two rounds.

:tonofbricks:

Edited by grendelbo

On 5/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, ttfitz said:

Yep, every Howard I looked at - including graded 9.8s - had those exact same marks.

They don't all have that pink staining on the sword though.  But I also looked for reference images and saw a couple high graded Howards with that same kind of pink staining, so I assumed it wasn't actually staining but some kind of manufacturing thing that just happened to some of them.  Though the pink wasn't quite as bad on the other images I saw as on this one.  For that and the bad corner, I thought 9.2 seemed about right.  Clearly the pink didn't factor at all though.

Edited by Axelrod
can't spell pink

On 5/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, grendelbo said:

Interior tape won't matter in it's grade range (GOOD-ish). Even if it's a very large tear the tape is mending. So long as nothing's missing that effects art or story.

It will affect the grades we submit tho.  As I said I would have gone 2.5 if I had that information.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, grendelbo said:

I wasn't that low but my points from missing were almost my combined points through the first two rounds.

:tonofbricks:

I'm only realizing how tough it was, I've seen Howard books in hand before. :(

It was either made in a rush or not given a lot of love in manufacturing, cause every issue I've seen was similar to this.  :(

On 5/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, skypinkblu said:

I saw the staining on the Showcase at the top, figured it was distributor's ink so I didn't deduct enough on that one and took off too much on Howard.

Despite this being my best scoring round (7 points) AND the first time I got one exactly right, I find myself being the most disappointed in this round. Why, you ask?

Okay, so nobody asked, but Imma gonna tell you anyway - I got two points each on the three books that I would consider right in my wheelhouse for figuring grades, AND I overgraded all three unlike my previous misses. Not to mention I bumped a couple of them a half grade just before posting.

Thanks, Obama Sharon.

Edited by ttfitz
Added stuff

On 5/7/2022 at 11:11 PM, Axelrod said:

They don't all have that pick staining on the sword though.  But I also looked for reference images and saw a couple high graded Howards with that same kind of pink staining, so I assumed it wasn't actually staining but some kind of manufacturing thing that just happened to some of them. 

Yeah, it's bleeding thru from the ad on the inside cover:

image.thumb.png.8fbf756d52dbec1e1431c898b174dd2f.png

One of those planes is behind the sword.