• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 3
11 11

330 posts in this topic

OUCH!  Missed grade on every book!  Nearly as bad as R1 score!!  :boo:

4.5:  Didn't see stain on FC of Show #19 - still I'd buy 3.5s that look like that all day!  :takeit:

1.8:  With amount of spine wear, tears and pieces out of CSS #22, I would never grade higher than a 2.0.  :fear:

9.0:  HtD #1 crushed me.  Way too low - dingy, so didn't present well.  Still I'd have hard time giving it more than a 9.2, otherwise I have a bunch of raw 9.4/9.6s!!!  :yeehaw:

Half grade off on other two, which is well within margin of error.

The main thing I learned in this round is that I tend to hit soiled comics a bit too hard. I guess CGC's graders consider that less of a defect. When the soiling (dirty, grimy, staining and general discoloring of the comic) is so obvious I will tend to bring it down a full grade. But with grading you kind of have to take the comic as a whole. Some of that grime is built into certain grade levels and I guess is acceptable and would not detract further?

• Administrator
On 5/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, apoptosis said:

Have the Round 3 results been posted, don't see them anywhere?

The results thread for round 3 won't be posted until tomorrow.  

I got a bullseye. Yay!  Did better this round than in either of first two.  Yay2!   But I will likely remain at the bottom of the rankings.  Boo.

I would say I'm at the bottom of the totem pole, but that would ignore the rich cultural significance of totem poles and the histories they document, e.g., what's at the bottom of the pole could be as special as anything above.  So now I'm at a loss for an idiom, too. :sorry: 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, Point Five said:

Yep. I can't submit Round 4 grades without seeing the Round 3 standings! My whole strategy would be thrown off! :ohnoez: 

hm

Well that's one way to....... can't always get whatchawant, favorite flavor cherry red :banana:   hope it's soon :wishluck: 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:02 PM, JollyComics said:

There are multiple water spots on BC. I decided that 3.5 is an appropriate grade.

BC stains worse than I originally "saw" during quick review of scans.   Agree 3.5 is appropriate grade.

I have two comments on Round 3:

1. On the Howard the Duck 1 I definitely see a faint color breaking crease in the bottom right corner of the front cover which would max the grade out at 9.0 along with the other minor defects.

2. I am still confused by the Marvel Spotlight 5 grade. Can any of the experienced graders in this forum help me understand why this book was graded a 4.0? I feel that I am a fairly experienced grader myself and I can't see this book lower than 5.0. What am I missing? I see in the results that most people were within one grade of the CGC grade so I must be missing something.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, apocalypse76 said:

2. I am still confused by the Marvel Spotlight 5 grade. Can any of the experienced graders in this forum help me understand why this book was graded a 4.0? I feel that I am a fairly experienced grader myself and I can't see this book lower than 5.0. What am I missing? I see in the results that most people were within one grade of the CGC grade so I must be missing something.

It's a grotty looking book. It may have the structural attributes of a 5.0, but the staining and grot set it aside from a brighter, cleaner looking book in the same structural condition. CGC don't like stains, the saying goes. The darkened photos don't help. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's a grotty looking book. It may have the structural attributes of a 5.0, but the staining and grot set it aside from a brighter, cleaner looking book in the same structural condition. CGC don't like stains, the saying goes. The darkened photos don't help. 

Agreed with all this! But I still guessed 4.5. A grade of 4.0 seems reasonable, but there have been many examples in the past where CGC seemingly has come down on the side of 'it may be an ugly example of grade X, but it's a grade X all the same'. Ah well.

It's probably "unhelpful" that the book does look prematurely aged for a Bronze Age book in particular. A GA book with the same wear and weathering likely squeaks out the 4.5.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:33 PM, Point Five said:

Agreed with all this! But I still guessed 4.5. A grade of 4.0 seems reasonable, but there have been many examples in the past where CGC seemingly has come down on the side of 'it may be an ugly example of grade X, but it's a grade X all the same'. Ah well.

It's probably "unhelpful" that the book does look prematurely aged for a Bronze Age book in particular. A GA book with the same wear and weathering likely squeaks out the 4.5.

Agreed, and I guessed 4.5 too. I think subliminally, ugly makes its mark. 

Get your jokes in now!