• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. George Perez
4 4

86 posts in this topic

I feel quite crushed by the news, even though I’d anticipated it to be imminent.  Two of my favourite comics creators gone in the space of a week. I feel quite numbed by it all, which is my usual response to loss, rather than overt sadness. Perhaps it makes me feel very distant from the excitement and vitality I experienced reading comics and discovering talented writers and artists when I was a kid in the 70s, admiring his work throughout the decades following, but now, in these circumstances, seeing it all as a bit distant and historical, and, as a major player as far as my comic art and storytelling appreciation goes, the loss of Perez is a big hit.  Maybe I should try compensating by binge reading a run of Avengers.  It’d be respectful.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, MrBedrock said:

The signing was supposed to start at 1:00 pm. We picked him up at his hotel and arrived at the shop a little before noon. He saw the line and didn't hesitate, he just sat down and started. He was awesome. We kept asking him if we could do things like cap the line or limit the number of items etc., but he would adamantly decline. He would chat with folks, sign whatever they wanted signed, take photos, chat some more. The only thing he wouldn't do was sketch. No sketches. Except around 7:00 pm, when we were in the homestretch and the crowd had thinned to about twenty people. A young girl and her mother were next. The girl, around 8 years old, stepped up to George with the Wonder Woman TPB and asked him if he could do a drawing in it for her. He started to say "no, I am sorry..." but he opened to the inside cover. She had written him a personal note telling him what he meant to her. He read and sat quiet for a few seconds, then sort of blubbered out "oh, baby". He was crying. I was crying sitting next to him. I'm crying now as I remember it. She got a sketch. As far as showing love for his fans George Perez is far and away the greatest comic creator we have ever had the privilege of hosting for an appearance. Just a wonderful man.

There was a "mile" long for George Perez at Wizard World Chicago ten years ago. I could see his face behind few people waiting for their turns. He looked exhausted before my turn.  I had $100 in cash in my pocket and was with CGC rep. Upon my turn, I decided to speak and sign sign and speak simultaneously with him and he looked at me with a big grin.  I gave him my two comic books and he signed both gratefully.  When he was done, there was a lady standing next to him that she collected cash. She and I looked at each other and I reached money in my pocket. He raised his hand slowly and waved at me.  No cash. She and I reacted.  "Are you sure?"  He smiled at me and gave his "shoo shoo" gesture.  I started to walk away with the CGC rep and looked back at him.  He still smiled and resumed to sign more books.  Never forget that beautiful moment.  He was our angel.

Just in the past 4 or 5 years we’ve lost:

Bernie Wrightson

Stan Lee

Joe Sinnott

Richard Corben 

Denny O’Neil

Neal Adams

George Perez 

I know there are many others not named. We owe them all a huge debt of gratitude for helping shape our imaginations. Rest In Peace to all these legends.

An incredible man. His run on the New Teen Titans was a book you waited for each month.  At the comic con he was always a pleasure.  Always a smile and a hug. 

One year he was at The Phoenix comic con on valentine's day. I asked him for a sketch of Starfire shooting hearts.  He told me he did not have the time to do that sketch. After he was finished, he said I looked like some of his editors when he told them something could not be done. But in the end, it was done perfectly. 

Many thanks to George Perez for the great books and great memories

12991128_10204911404943881_6264399824708918373_n.jpg

Screenshot_20220508-193504.png

Edited by inthehottub

Though not unexpected, shock and loss at his passing.

Like many others, George Perez was my favorite artist. Why is obvious, not many had the attention to detail as George had. From Avengers, to FF, to NTT, WW and Avengers again! Wow. Thank You!

RIP George.

I respectfully post my favorite cover by the best, the late great Mr George Perez!

Avengers_160_CGC98.JPG

On 5/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, Treco said:

Just in the past 4 or 5 years we’ve lost:

Bernie Wrightson

Stan Lee

Joe Sinnott

Richard Corben 

Denny O’Neil

Neal Adams

George Perez 

I know there are many others not named. We owe them all a huge debt of gratitude for helping shape our imaginations. Rest In Peace to all these legends.

Ditko