• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. George Perez
4 4

86 posts in this topic

I’ve been a fan of George’s work since his early days on the Avengers, and had the chance to meet him once when I got a sketch from him at SDCC…he was such a joy to interact with, and you could tell he really cared about his fans.

This is a massive loss to the comic book universe…condolences to his wife, Carol, and his family and friends.

Thank you for everything, George…rest in peace.

:cry:

On 5/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, Point Five said:

It's kind of mindbending to look at those NTT covers and think wow, those were just the FIRST TWO covers. Beyond the richness of detail, note how each character has their own features, personality and body language right out of the gate. Most series never achieve that level of craft. And his art just got better and better for 4+ years! :applause:

Absolutely mind-boggling that he was that good, that young, like the Beatles in the mid 60's.

The preview interior New Teen Titans cover inside of DC Presents #26 was similarly masterful, so he really kicked off his epic TT run with three classic covers.

The earth-shattering Crisis, spectacular runs on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Avengers, plus Hulk Future Imperfect and that JLA/Avengers crossover we waited 20 years for, the list just goes on and on.

Rest in peace, George Perez. Love and condolences to his family, colleagues, friends, and fans worldwide.

I do regret not meeting George Perez when I had a chance. George was a guest at C2E2 2020. I got in line around 10:00 AM, which I thought would give me plenty of time to get his autograph on the OGN, Teen Titan: Games. I had already gotten Marv Wolfman's autograph on the previous day. Soon after I got in line, I noticed that there were people carrying 40 - 50 books for George to sign. When the organizers realized that the line was barely moving, they announced that there was now a 20-book limit at George's table. Later on, they announced a 10-book limit. Toward the end, I decided I would be fine if I just had a chance to shake his hand and tell him how much I had enjoyed his work over the years. But alas, it was not too be.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, circumstances said:
As I was leaving my first ever comic book convention, I saw one of my favorite artists doing a sketch for a fan. I said to myself, I've got to ask him to draw my favorite character for me before I went home.
I waited there for a few minutes, and then it was my turn. I told him I was a big fan of his work and asked him if he would draw a sketch for me.

Of course he would, and I watched as he drew it. Then he handed it to me, and said "that will be $5.00." I had no idea artists charged money for their sketches at conventions, and I didn't see the sign posting the price (if there was one, at that time on Sunday).

I apologized, and told him I only had enough money for the bus to get me home, and started to hand back the sketch. He told me not to worry about it, and even though I was mortified by the whole situation, I thanked him and told him I would pay him the next time I saw him. "Sure, sure."

That was July 4th weekend, 1978, Phil Seuling's New York Comic Art Convention. I was 14 years old, and my mom had let me fly to New York from South Florida to attend the convention (my mom was, and is, great like that).

Jump ahead one year to the 1979 4th of July New York Comic Art Convention. I had such a great time the first time, I went back for more. The first thing I did when I got into the convention was look for the artist I stiffed the previous year.

Even though it was an entire year later, when I walked up to him and put the $5.00 bill in his hand, and thanked him for being so gracious to an insufficiently_thoughtful_person kid, he remembered me immediately, gave me that big smile, and said something along the lines of not ever worrying about it.

We laughed, and started a friendship that spanned over 40 years.

He was a tremendous talent, but the person is who I will miss.

20220507_182858_resized.jpg

That's a beautiful story.

George sounds like such an awesome human being from everything that I read over the years on him. Sad I never did get to meet him at a con. May he rest in peace and glad that he will not have to suffer any longer. He was in such high spirits its sounded like too these last 6 months, hopefully he did pass with a smile on his face because all of the pictures I always seen of him was with a huge smile.

The last few months I did go on a New Teen Titans hunt collecting many of George's iconic issues. I did get NTT #2 in a 9.6 slab a few weeks ago and I do need to get Tales of Teen Titans #44 before that books starts to go crazy in prices.

On the days when I expected expected a new issue of NTT to be out, I remember picking up speed on my bike as I approached my LCS 

When I was a little younger, I'd be beyond  thrilled to find Neal Adams work in the dollar bins.  Collecting NTT/WW as they came out gave me that same feeling.

RIP gentlemen.

We all knew it was coming but it sure doesn’t make it any easier.

Some very touching tributes here. All well deserved. I had the honor a couple of times to spend a few minutes with him. A wonderful man with such a warm and friendly attitude. So talented and well respected. I can still picture that loud shirt and huge smile. Always smiling. 

A rough couple of weeks. But he is now out of pain and up in the bill pen in the sky rubbing elbows with all the greats.

He will be missed but he left us so much.

RIP George!