• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 5:04 AM, Bookery said:

Yes... but in that case you still get the 1st app. of Sticky-Mitt Stimson, so it's all good.  With the Hulk 180 situation... you don't get a 1st app. of nobody!

good point.  ok I'll pull the trigger on the book.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:56 PM, seanfingh said:

I'll get into a bidding war . . .

This book is hilarious.  If it was a kid that did this back in the day, then it is the most anal-retentive kids ever. Must have spent an hour with a brand new X-Acto knife. If it was an adult, it was the stupidest thing ever.  I love this book, honestly.

$25:sumo:

On 5/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Bookery said:

Part 3 --

Turns out... what they mean is Leaf 16... the final page... and here (with a sheet behind so it shows up) is what they mean by "large piece cut out"...  (ie -- the book is essentially worthless)...

Hulk3.jpg

At least THIS issue finally puts to rest the age old debate: Issue #181 is Wolverine's FIRST APPEARANCE :D

On 5/12/2022 at 8:46 AM, Bookery said:

There's an angle that's not been mentioned yet... I wonder why someone would send-in a book like this to be graded in the first place?  There was no way the sender could anticipate how the label would read.  The only "value" the book has is as a curiosity... which is negated if you can't see the problem.  I would assume the sender requested the "qualified" grade?  Otherwise, it would get what... a 0.5 incomplete?  I've never sent a qualified book to CGC, so not entirely sure how this works.

They graded it because they 100% knew there would be zero desire for anyone to buy it from them if they could leaf through the book, and there was no way CGC was going to be very explicit on the label that gives this mega flaw context ("Missing the entire point of owning this issues"). This was in order to flip the book and get something back out of it and I don't think for a second the original owner had any intention on being transparent about it.

This does kind of raise a philosophical question--isn't every slabbed one of these issues in the same predicament--you can't see the thing that makes it valuable?

On 5/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, Axe Elf said:

This does kind of raise a philosophical question--isn't every slabbed one of these issues in the same predicament--you can't see the thing that makes it valuable?

That's true of almost every slabbed book that has something in the interior that makes it important (first or early appearance, MJ insert, Tattooz, poster, known printing error like in MSH Secret Wars 1, etc.).  If the important thing is on the cover, you're all set. 

You're depending on CGC checking for completeness, as far anything you can't see.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

That's true of almost every slabbed book that has something in the interior that makes it important

But doesn't EVERY book, by definition, have something in it that makes it important?  I mean, it's a BOOK, to be READ.

Slap a pretty cover on a block of wood and you have a slabbed comic.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:03 PM, Lightning55 said:

I'm getting some ready to send him for similar treatment, as soon as I find out who it is.  Nice work.

You know those pixel boxes and frames people make for video games and and sometimes classic comic book scenes (examples below)? He'd be fantastic at those. 

il_794xN.3878765311_i0hq.jpg.396790ae280f645532988adb8bbf5017.jpg

e6efc0e9-2389-4efa-a162-b831407fc136.jpg

Edited by Cat

On 5/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, Stronguy said:

"No longer contains the 1st appearance of Wolverine" :roflmao:

"No longer contains the 1st appearance of Wolverine in cameo on last page" :baiting:

"Elvis has left the comic..."