• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

By artist, what do you consider to be their masterpiece?
6 6

233 posts in this topic

Zolnerowich has so much great work.  The Planet teens alone, sheesh.  But I always come back to the 10.  So wild and crazy.  I love the lightning coming out of the green guys' eyes.  The evil queen.  The captured girl.  And Flint Baker has it all under control.  Zany golden age greatness.

Planet 10.jpg

On 5/18/2022 at 1:25 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

This is a tough call. Everyone has favorite Lou Fine covers, so selecting one singular masterpiece is a mine field of contestable opinion.

That said, I consider this Top 5 material...

84c714e8-9a3c-4572-a7bf-b309a2dbfd77_zpsvpybtkrn.jpg.420a8c5127acfa320f7e13e82984f344.jpg

That IS a great one, Cat. Always loved this.

as long as we are in the neighborhood, I don’t think this Lou Fine cover has been mentioned yet(not mine)

E5E9C296-D1D5-4C12-A8D4-D6E78D5527CF.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, N e r V said:

As far as I know she just had her 101st birthday a few days ago. She also attended the 2007 SDCC. Not a great experience in comics at times either working with those GA “greats”….

“Renée’s mother saw an advertisement in the newspaper from comic book publisher Fiction House looking for artists. Renée had no knowledge of or interest in comic books, but she applied for the position in order to help her family. It was low-paying, unglamorous work, and Renée was uncomfortable working alongside the mostly male staff of Fiction House, many of whom would make crude comments to her, but she stuck with it out of necessity.”

As far as I know MS Renee’s only comic book appearance at a con was SDCC in 2007. I brought a couple books to have her sign. She was in Artist’s Alley and had no one at her table when I walked up. She graciously signed them and we had a short conversation. It was obviously not a high time in her career. She considered herself a fine artist. A very classy lady and kind of seemed out of place there. It was great to have the opportunity to meet her and say thanks. I’ll bet there are not a lot of books out there she signed.