• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

By artist, what do you consider to be their masterpiece?
6 6

233 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, comicjack said:

How can anyone say something bad about that cover :ohnoez:

It has nothing to do with the interiors of the book (which I admit doesn't necessarily detract from it as a standalone piece of art), I always get hung up on how the hero's lower body is supposed to be positioned, and if somebody offered me any issue of Suspense I would take the Cole cover on #8 over this one.

With that said, my general reaction is not so much "I dislike the cover" as "I just don't get why others love it so much."

On 5/17/2022 at 2:35 AM, OtherEric said:

It has nothing to do with the interiors of the book (which I admit doesn't necessarily detract from it as a standalone piece of art), I always get hung up on how the hero's lower body is supposed to be positioned, and if somebody offered me any issue of Suspense I would take the Cole cover on #8 over this one.

With that said, my general reaction is not so much "I dislike the cover" as "I just don't get why others love it so much."

All about the cover and subject matter and rarity drives the want (thumbsu

On 5/17/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Al Williamson

If we're strictly GA, I'd say Valor 2.  WF21 is too heavily influenced by FF to be an "Al Williamson".  Push a little further into SA, and I'd probably vote for a Flash Gordon.

valolr 2.jpg

On 5/17/2022 at 8:24 PM, Yorick said:

If we're strictly GA, I'd say Valor 2.  WF21 is too heavily influenced by FF to be an "Al Williamson".  Push a little further into SA, and I'd probably vote for a Flash Gordon.

valolr 2.jpg

The problem with the Flash Gordon covers is that, as superbly drawn as some of them are, they follow much the same formula, with similar embellishments to his classic work on EC’s “Food for Thought” story.

On 5/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The problem with the Flash Gordon covers is that, as superbly drawn as some of them are, they follow much the same formula, with similar embellishments to his classic work on EC’s “Food for Thought” story.

I was thinking strictly in the sense of cover work, but you're right.  There are some great interior examples of an artist's "best".

On 5/18/2022 at 1:51 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

My choice for Al Williamson masterpiece (one autographed in '74; the other a GFC)...

e8119860-1880-4b85-b293-cbbc6972796f_zpsknphsohf.jpg.63aeb2113031ab5f8c4e4eef81cff2ab.jpg

edited-image_zps83ui5vlf.jpg.6523ec156c77ecc4447f83e7844f6601.jpg

:cheers:

That would've been the other choice for me, but I don't like EC's cover layout, and the way Williamson's art has been compressed.

Great books.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'd find it very hard to single out just one Golden Age Spirit Section "cover" / first page, as Eisner created so many with such inspired design sense, and then there are some equally impressive Warren magazine covers to account for as well.

I give up.  He was a comic book genius.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/17/2022 at 8:32 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'd find it very hard to single out just one Golden Age Spirit Section "cover" / first page, as Eisner created so many with such inspired design sense, and then there are some equally impressive Warren magazine covers to account for as well.

I give up.  He was a comic book genius.

Me too. Looked thru covers and just had to bow out.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:38 AM, KirbyJack said:

Me too. Looked thru covers and just had to bow out.

Picking just one really is an impossible task.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Craig Flessel... image.png.1812012981cd32d225aee5424e3a7098.png

b70d2dc0-df72-4a6d-a81d-60175aac83d5_zpsac59fr8i.jpg.e219c21ef819011251f1886c6df01a69.jpg

Hide contents

96e8f50b-d5dd-4389-94f7-e8a955760a5b_zps1008e2a6.jpg.099369f9c66277c73f4d62c273e22057.jpg

:cheers:

I was going to post this one too then I saw you just had. It really is the coolest of the cool pre-hero DC's.

By the way, the term "Pre Hero". Technically do they have to be pre Action Comics 1(June 1938)? I just always considered pre hero to be any book in a particular title which came before the super hero in that title Particularly with DC . For example Detective Comics 26 came out after Action 1 but before Tec 27, so it's a pre hero to me. Have I got that right?

On 5/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, Professor K said:

I was going to post this one too then I saw you just had. It really is the coolest of the cool pre-hero DC's.

By the way, the term "Pre Hero". Technically do they have to be pre Action Comics 1(June 1938)? I just always considered pre hero to be any book in a particular title which came before the super hero in that title Particularly with DC . For example Detective Comics 26 came out after Action 1 but before Tec 27, so it's a pre hero to me. Have I got that right?

"Pre-hero" typically means the books in a title that preceded the introduction of a superhero.  Tec 1-26 are generally considered to be pre-hero, even though the Crimson Avenger made his debut in Tec 20.  Issues 1-51 in the More Fun title are considered pre-hero, as are issues 1-39 in the Adventure title.