• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early days of eBay
8 8

102 posts in this topic

Most of my eBay finds were early high grade SF pulps (amazing prices on high grade Gernsback era Amazing Stories, for instance), but I didn't get back into GA comics until after the gold-rush. I did manage a few good pick-ups of GA from eBay dealers, but rarely raw books that graded out better than their descriptions.

I've been a member since '98 (so long that my username has less characters than they allow for new names). Of course everything from back then would be a screaming deal now, but I don't recall getting any amazing deals of high value, but one could score plenty of twenty dollar GA, books (back then) for $3-$5, especially in genres like war and crime. I wish I'd bought more. I rarely sniped back then. The incredible deals you'd see (after the fact) tended to be BINs where someone scored a high value book for 10% of fair market value. Never happened for me though.

You can still get great deals on ebay, and not just BINs. I sometimes win something in a 7 day auction for so little that first think I must have misread the description. Recently I won an issue of Ginger for $18 including shipping, that sold fairly easily when I put it back up on ebay for $150, but the more valuable the book the harder that kind of deal is to find. I'd love to win a $15,000 book for $1800 xD

Not GA, although I did dabble in some Atlas pre-code horror, but I did get all of my OA pieces. Modest stuff by the standards of the big boys but its appreciated nicely over the years.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I bought some books on eBay back in 2000 and 2001, but I don't remember any bargains. My favorite eBay pick up was this Human Torch 19 because it had white pages.

I can see that I hadn't gotten the hang of sniping yet because I bid with 18 seconds left. I would never bid that early now.

I'm pretty sure the first bidder, actions50, was @Timely. I vaguely remember that zaq12 was a bidder on almost everything decent, but I have no idea who he was.

2304161453081.jpg

IMG_20220618_042120435.jpg

zaq12 was Fishler. 

I signed up in 1998. I don’t remember any screaming deals on comics but I was able to fill out a lot of holes and runs in my GA runs. Seems I was getting packages daily.

I did get some incredible deals on old toys and premiums. Not to mention that a lot of premiums and pinback buttons were regional, I saw and had access to a lot of stuff I never knew existed.

What really blew me away was selling. I did a LOT of selling as did my wife. We would very often be blown away with the final auction prices we were getting. A goldmine.

Another observation was that stuff we thought was so rare in our area was almost common on eBay. Made us modify what we put on there as opposed to what we took to shows.

I signed up in 1998, but I didn't get the itch to really browse for Gold until 2009 or 2010.

I was scarfing up a book a week (more or less).

To this day I have no idea why I did this, but I started bidding on 1950s superhero DCs (maybe because I never collected them and never had all that many around in general?).

I had some rules. I would put in a snipe for 40% of grade in Overstreet, and $200 was my max per book including shipping.

I would set up my snipes with 2 or 3 seconds left to go, at 40% of Overstreet or $200.99, whichever was less.

Did this for a couple of years! Lol

On other random (older and more valuable) stuff I had a $299 per book limit. I'd just load up the snipes and let em go (Centaurs, WWII covers, etc.).

Edited by circumstances

On 6/18/2022 at 5:43 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I once bought a Tec 31 off the Bay for $4k. It arrived in a box with balls of wadded up newspaper around it. No Mylar sleeve, no backing board, just a naked comic book packed with balls of newspaper around it. Cgc had just come into existence around that time, so I sent it in and it came back as an unrestored 4.5. 

D99A47D0-27F0-4830-B669-001A034A749F.jpeg

03FD97A6-C758-4265-82B9-33FD0779D7BC.jpeg

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I hate you.

I was able to connect with a lot of MLJ/Archie fans through eBay. It was also a very affordable way to fill in MLJ runs. They were still under the radar in the late 90's and even looked down on by many dealers and mainstream GA collectors. Being a tightwad I was able to find incredible deals at times. It was a lot of fun.