• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early days of eBay
8 8

105 posts in this topic

Joined eBay about 2003, mainly to try and get back into collecting a Spider-man run. I remember a haul of like 400 books from about #101 to #500 with all keys there for $600 Cdn. Crazy. I eventually got the whole run completed, thanks eBay for the head start!

I remember the ASM#1 around same time for $1999 Cdn, it graded to an o/w 6.5 - still have it. I also remember an AF#15 that I got for about $4K Cdn and another for $3K,  and they ended up grading as a 3.0 and 2.5  tan to o/w and o/w to w respectively -- sold the 3.0 three months ago for a lot more....still have the 2.5.

When I started into GA soon after this, it was a LCS and Metro that I turned to only ........... can't remember why I wouldn't have stuck with eBay, but might have had something to do with  the one time I was fleeced for $1500 by an eBay crook for some book, stupidly sent a bank transfer and was ghosted immediately afterwards. 

Any one out there with other early eBay horror stories of stupidity ?

Edited by fishbone

On 7/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, fishbone said:

Joined eBay about 2003, mainly to try and get back into collecting a Spider-man run. I remember a haul of like 400 books from about #101 to #500 with all keys there for $600 Cdn. Crazy. I eventually got the whole run completed, thanks eBay for the head start!

I remember the ASM#1 around same time for $1999 Cdn, it graded to an o/w 6.5 - still have it. I also remember an AF#15 that I got for about $4K Cdn and another for $3K,  and they ended up grading as a 3.0 and 2.5  tan to o/w and o/w to w respectively -- sold the 3.0 three months ago for a lot more....still have the 2.5.

When I started into GA soon after this, it was a LCS and Metro that I turned to only ........... can't remember why I wouldn't have stuck with eBay, but might have had something to do with  the one time I was fleeced for $1500 by an eBay crook for some book, stupidly sent a bank transfer and was ghosted immediately afterwards. 

Yikes! That was kinda stupid.  😩

Back in the days of RBCC and Stan’s Weekly Express I would send checks up to $200. but that was it.  Sorry you took a bath!

PayPal these days…

On 7/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, plady69 said:

Yikes! That was kinda stupid.  😩

Back in the days of RBCC and Stan’s Weekly Express I would send checks up to $200. but that was it.  Sorry you took a bath!

PayPal these days…

got caught up in it all like a kid in a candy store, and got real stupid - but only once, learned a hard lesson !!

On 8/3/2022 at 2:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Back in 2002, I won the original cover art for ASM 220 (Spidey and moon knight) and i saw that I had to outbid some heavy hitters (Albert Moy and Mike Burkey) to win it!

I have never heard of Albert Moy or Mike Burkey, but I'm glad you got some original art back when it was still reasonable! I never had a yen to build an original art collection, but at one time I thought I might buy a couple of pieces to decorate my house. The prices have gone too high for that now, so if I want to do any comic-related decorating, I'll have to stick to posters.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, fishbone said:

My eBay says I’m a member since 2007, but I know I was registered in the late 90s mostly buying SNES games.

the internet was very different then.  eBay required you basically send the seller a check and then they sent you the product.  Well I was young and lost an auction on a PlayStation 1 and someone messaged me saying they had one for the same price.  I sent that 89$check and was ghosted of course. I probably had about $95 to my name because I would have been a poor college kid at that time.  I’ll never forget the person’s name since it was so unique.  Never been able to find them in any online searches though.

Any more good stories?  I got in late in the game but I’m sure there were some GREAT finds!  
My dad and I used to work every avenue from coin laundry’s to local newspapers before EBay. Wish I knew about when I got my first computer!

I know the fees jumped from 7 to 8%. Listing was free.  When they first started to charge, they had crazy break points. 1cent  for 1-99 cent and 5 cents for $1-9.99.  Postage wasn’t part of the final value fee. That made for some interesting 1 cent auctions. Funny though if you charged excess postage you were seen as a con artist so it hurt final total values. 

Common marvel keys were exactly that - common. Low grade keys were down right cheap. Captain America 100 in G/VG might get $20. 

Timelys were still tough. 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, plady69 said:

Any more good stories?  I got in late in the game but I’m sure there were some GREAT finds!  
My dad and I used to work every avenue from coin laundry’s to local newspapers before EBay. Wish I knew about when I got my first computer!

95% of the pulps I purchased before getting back into comics were off of eBay.

Early 2000's I bought almost the entire run of bedsheet Astoundings ('42 into '43) as a group off eBay missing only one issue and paid ridiculously little for the stack at the time.

Condition ranged from Good to Fine; examples below (oversized pulps are difficult to acquire today and very tough in higher grades)...

f72fc1ca-eb9b-4d65-80ea-6bd5b460f8e6_zpsms3xjdmi.thumb.jpg.27285ff22e3e04bb354a2e350d81a841.jpg

c74dd330-6d16-4569-af12-f8d0880a0dfa_zpswxlnb1uu.jpg.e553936ab93c57fccf601e6b2a39b0c3.jpg

ceb88a3c-14f4-459e-8e68-ddc89f9fa979_zps9hrsbnjn.thumb.jpg.3a5a5b04b9d5b15f6faf4511684d8327.jpg

On 8/27/2022 at 7:29 PM, enigmacomix said:

I joined in 1998. Back then I ran out of money before I ran out of deals. Back then I was focusing on Fox and Nedor books. Those were the days.

Nedor.jpg

Me too I was buying Nedor War covers and Fiction House like a drunken sailor. Most of the ones I have now came from the early days of EBay. Same with my PCH collection. 

I remember when I first started selling comics on Ebay and during no-reserve auctions, I'd always add in the subject line "not" and what key issues my book wasn't haha. Like if I was selling an FF52, I'd put "not 1, 45, 48, 49" to make it more visible. I think Ebay eventually cracked down on that hm, and I haven't done it for years. Not sure if people still do that though lol. 

On 8/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, DirtyNeck said:

Yes, that's keyword spamming. There are a million "not cgc" auctions right now that need to be pulled lol

Oh I thought they didn't allow that anymore. I remember getting a generic message from them about it a looonnnggg time ago and haven't done it since. I'm not 100% sure it even helped my sales out, but it just made sense at the time.

Edited by LDarkseid1

I remember it took ten minutes to log on but won some great stuff back in the day.The problem you never knew what you got before the slabs came in lol

Pre-EBay and the internet, I often bought from Howard “tape is not a defect” Rogofsky. There was often no other option to find old comics. I remember being overjoyed to even obtain certain books no matter the condition(within reason). Oddly, with what I now collect, I often feel the same way…:roflmao:

On 8/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, ft88 said:

I know the fees jumped from 7 to 8%. Listing was free.  When they first started to charge, they had crazy break points. 1cent  for 1-99 cent and 5 cents for $1-9.99.  Postage wasn’t part of the final value fee. That made for some interesting 1 cent auctions. Funny though if you charged excess postage you were seen as a con artist so it hurt final total values. 

Common marvel keys were exactly that - common. Low grade keys were down right cheap. Captain America 100 in G/VG might get $20. 

Timelys were still tough. 

I recall when they had 25 cent fees for listings under $25. And they used to let you hyperlink your website in the listing. For that reason, I used to use Ebay as a place to advertise and draw people to my website from there. That was around 1998-1999.