• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 8/21/2022 at 10:32 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Allow me to revise . . .

64E0D9C1-A3EB-4FEC-A581-544D5040F4EF.jpeg

Expand  

Actually, more like this!

image.jpeg.ff80a8ef187c3b4a0537dcf3237008e2.jpeg

:roflmao:

Actually, the reality is that Gene's got an unbelievable collection that dwarfs mine by many magnitudes, and he's been collecting OA for much much longer, so it's really more like this:

The return of Godzilla, the king of kaiju | The Japan Times

Of course, the irony is that if the OA market really crashes like he's predicting, he's got way more to lose than me!  :fear:

On 8/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, delekkerste said:
On 8/21/2022 at 9:41 PM, tth2 said:

But I've been collecting comics since the 1970s and have yet to see them go down meaningfully in 40+ years.  So why would I want to be the one saying "It's different this time"?

It's easier to be uncorrelated or even contra-cyclical when prices are a lot lower. The whole myth of collectibles contra-cyclicality arose initially from when comics - as an entertainment outlet, not as a collectible or investment - decades ago provided a cheap source of entertainment (especially as they could be read by more than just its owner) in difficult economic times.

I'm pretty sure I could pull up posts from 2005, and 2010, and 2015, where you made the same arguments about unsustainability of current prices based on the percentage of average income that a comic book represents today compared to 1964, or something like that.

It'd be a hoot to be able to go back to show current prices to 2015 Gene, let alone 2005 Gene.  

Of course, I'd have to bring an EMT with me to tend to you after you had an aneurysm. 

sorry to interrupt.....

The Amazing Spider-Man splash is up to $185,000 

Not surprising.

Anybody see noticeable surprises so far? good or bad.? It’s early I know but any fast starters that caught you off guard? Or any pieces sitting with low bids that make you go wtf?

On 8/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, grapeape said:

sorry to interrupt.....

The Amazing Spider-Man splash is up to $185,000 

Not surprising.

Anybody see noticeable surprises so far? good or bad.? It’s early I know but any fast starters that caught you off guard? Or any pieces sitting with low bids that make you go wtf?

The DK4 Miller page......the art on there is not particularly stellar and doesn't feature any major batman images and it's $114k on August 22 already,🤷

No major Batman images?... isn't that a twice-up half-splash of Batman in full Dark "Knight" mode?

Over and over we've seen that, regarding Frank Miller, having someone/something in silhouette form does not deter bidders nearly as much as it might with other artists.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:01 AM, J.Sid said:

No major Batman images?... isn't that a twice-up half-splash of Batman in full Dark "Knight" mode?

Over and over we've seen that, regarding Frank Miller, having someone/something in silhouette form does not deter bidders nearly as much as it might with other artists.

Yes it is, I clearly missed that....🤦

I really need to see an optometrist 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Yes it is, I clearly missed that....🤦

I really need to see an optometrist 

No worries!

I'd thought you may have been discounting it because it was a silhouette. Three times during the 2010's I lost on DK auctions because I wanted one with Batman fully rendered and didn't bid high enough.

"I can't believe someone would pay that much for just his outline" I would tell one of my friends after each loss. Then each time he would laugh at me and say "You should have stepped up. It's Dark Knight Returns, and silhouette or not, that's Batman in costume"

On 8/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, J.Sid said:

No worries!

I'd thought you may have been discounting it because it was a silhouette. Three times during the 2010's I lost on DK auctions because I wanted one with Batman fully rendered and didn't bid high enough.

"I can't believe someone would pay that much for just his outline" I would tell one of my friends after each loss. Then each time he would laugh at me and say "You should have stepped up. It's Dark Knight Returns, and silhouette or not, that's Batman in costume"

Those DK pages then we're selling for high teens,low twenties then?

I'm scared to think what pages featuring the Batman Superman battle would go for today🤯

On 8/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The wolverine 75 splash by Kunert is a bit surprising to me.....it is a striking large image of wolverine but I'm guessing the revelation about his bone skeleton has got alot to do with its current price

Is this a $100k final price??

That number would have bought it direct from the artist just a couple of months ago (and for the last couple of years) I believe. 
I assume Kubert consigned it. It would be very weird to see it sell at or above an asking price that was never obtained. 

If it does then we're obviously looking at the birth of the "Wolverine, Claws Out, Faceless BUT Prominent Adam's Apple - TAX" 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:21 AM, tth2 said:

You seem to be asking lots of questions about valuation of various pieces.

It's very simple, you just need to do a Celsius-to-Fahrenheit conversion to determine what the likely winning price will be: 

Take your own estimated valuation, double it and then add $40k.

😄👍