• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, J.Sid said:

Probably up there with 72 and 96.... any others that are 'next tier?'

And #0

On 8/25/2022 at 12:23 AM, batman_fan said:

Unpopular opinion

Bolland’s Wonder Woman covers can’t hold a candle to Byrne’s

Have to agree with BF Here, never thought Bolland a great artist ...not in the league of Byrne , Miller but to each their own....beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I love trimpe art and yes it's pretty basic simplistic art and many think it's sh1te but🤷🙂

On 8/25/2022 at 8:16 AM, batman_fan said:

You know, I am going to have to say, your not crazy, not crazy at all 

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 6.15.02 PM.png

Every artist since Jim Lee has drawn like Jim Lee.  Portacio, Campbell, Finch, Charest, etc. etc.  Who can tell the difference?    

On 8/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Have to agree with BF Here, never thought Bolland a great artist ...not in the league of Byrne , Miller but to each their own....beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I love trimpe art and yes it's pretty basic simplistic art and many think it's sh1te but🤷🙂

On the other hand, I didn’t like Byrne’s interiors on Wonder Woman. It isn’t that his work declined; he consciously picked a different style for that work. I guess that’s an example of why I can’t really say one artist is necessarily better than another (some are, but that is not my point). The artist’s work has to be measured in the context of the style they bring to the subject matter. 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, Rick2you2 said:

he consciously picked a different style for that work

I would not like this thread to derail, but if you could elaborate (or point me where to find to explanations elsewhere), I would happy to read about it.

Bolland is one of the best cover artists of all time, IMO. His characters have such dimension, with a subtle, almost 3D effect. His WW run is one of my favorite cover runs, by any artist, of any character, period.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Byrne in general, and thought his WW run was particularly bad, even for him. Then again, I really liked Deodato's run, which is cheesy as hell, so I clearly can't be trusted.

Perez is still the WW cover king, and I'd rank Bolland, then Hughes, right behind him.

As for @tth2's Jim Lee comment, I agree 100%, and it's a shame, because Lee was such a blast when he emerged. It's not his fault that so many people have drawn like him ever since, but it has made his stuff seem less exciting to me. A victim of his own tremendous influence.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, Ecclectica said:

I would not like this thread to derail, but if you could elaborate (or point me where to find to explanations elsewhere), I would happy to read about it.

Go look at it, and compare it to, say his Superman or X-men work. It should be apparent if you look at it. 

On 8/25/2022 at 9:58 AM, F For Fake said:

Bolland is one of the best cover artists of all time, IMO. His characters have such dimension, with a subtle, almost 3D effect. His WW run is one of my favorite cover runs, by any artist, of any character, period.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Byrne in general, and thought his WW run was particularly bad, even for him. Then again, I really liked Deodato's run, which is cheesy as hell, so I clearly can't be trusted.

Perez is still the WW cover king, and I'd rank Bolland, then Hughes, right behind him.

As for @tth2's Jim Lee comment, I agree 100%, and it's a shame, because Lee was such a blast when he emerged. It's not his fault that so many people have drawn like him ever since, but it has made his stuff seem less exciting to me. A victim of his own tremendous influence.

Neal Adams also had many imitators back in the day. It never made his art seem less exciting to me, but that's just me.

Edited by Humpty-Dumpty
One word not needed

On 8/26/2022 at 12:58 AM, F For Fake said:

To be clear, I'm not criticizing Jim Lee at all.  He brought a fresh new anime-inspired style when he started.  Very different from what anyone else was doing at the time.  I still like Jim Lee.

It's all of his slavish clones that bug me.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:07 PM, tth2 said:

Every artist since Jim Lee has drawn like Jim Lee.  Portacio, Campbell, Finch, Charest, etc. etc.  Who can tell the difference?    

One small tweak here - Jim Lee copied Whilce Portacio, not the other way around. 

When Jim was breaking in he was lifting his style from everyone like a sponge, including studio-mate Whilce.

There are plenty of Jim Lee clones out there, but Whilce should not be grouped in among them.

I’ve always admired the Savage Sword of Conan covers by Earl Norem. I would love to get this one as it’s a favorite from my childhood. I’d hang it in the dining room behind my chair at the head of the table. 🗣 “Like 🔥 you will” I hear Mrs.grape protest.

🍇 🦍 “But Darling think of the dinner conversations we’ll have with family and friends.Especially that queasy, delicate cousin Benji  of yours who passed out giving blood at the Red Cross.”

🗣 “I am thinking about it a** hat.

6A9F17C5-A35C-4E7D-B80B-7A6418DB9FF7.jpeg.28453ca33ff3f02e490894be6908f87b.jpeg

On 8/25/2022 at 9:11 PM, RabidFerret said:

One small tweak here - Jim Lee copied Whilce Portacio, not the other way around. 

When Jim was breaking in he was lifting his style from everyone like a sponge, including studio-mate Whilce.

There are plenty of Jim Lee clones out there, but Whilce should not be grouped in among them.

I was about to say the same thing.  

Edited by kbmcvay

On 8/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, Xatari said:

$100k for Wolvie 75 wouldn’t shock me at all. 

It’s interesting - a few months after Wolverine 75 came out, I held all my calls and fired up my 28.8k modem to dial into Prodigy internet at $3/hour and used my formidable skills in technology to reach out on the information superhighway’s electronic bulletin boards to attempt to purchase any page of what had been my favorite Wolverine comic issue to date.

I lived in Montana, so the idea of even finding a page of original art without traveling to a convention was crazy. I never found one, but was oddly satisfied when I saw it on auction that pages managed to get out to someone to be enjoyed.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/26/2022 at 9:11 AM, RabidFerret said:

Thanks, didn't know that.  I assumed it was the other way around since Lee broke big first.