• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, grapeape said:

I’ve always admired the Savage Sword of Conan covers by Earl Norem. I would love to get this one as it’s a favorite from my childhood. I’d hang it in the dining room behind my chair at the head of the table. 🗣 “Like 🔥 you will” I hear Mrs.grape protest.

🍇 🦍 “But Darling think of the dinner conversations we’ll have with family and friends.Especially that queasy, delicate cousin Benji  of yours who passed out giving blood at the Red Cross.”

🗣 “I am thinking about it a** hat.

6A9F17C5-A35C-4E7D-B80B-7A6418DB9FF7.jpeg.28453ca33ff3f02e490894be6908f87b.jpeg

Great norem cover.......very underrated painter and dirt cheap compared to frazetta or Vallejo!

On 8/25/2022 at 11:47 PM, Xatari said:

I saw Dinesh recently posted this one too which is absolutely stunning!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1843381

Is Magneto snorting Wolverine's adamantium? Is this a Gil Kane "up nose angle" tribute piece? And why does Professor X always have that damn blanket on his lap -- is his Shi'ar techno-chair not equipped with heat? So many questions....

On 8/26/2022 at 2:01 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

To me, that page just looks messy and cluttered with too much going on🤷. Looks like it's a cockrum homage with big face in the background ala X-Men 94 cover and count nefaria.

Just doesn't float my OA boat😐

Different strokes for different folks. This was an incredible memorable page from my early comic reading. I was in shock that Wolverine was losing his adamantium.  🤯 

On 8/25/2022 at 7:04 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Go look at it, and compare it to, say his Superman or X-men work. It should be apparent if you look at it. 

For my part, I wouldn't try to compare Byrne's WW run and his Superman run. There is too much distance in time between the two. The visibles differences are the results of the common, natural evolution of the artist's artwork with time.

When you said "he consciously picked a different style for that work", I thought Byrne, maybe, had adopted a specific approach for this WW run I should know of. I suppose you wanted to say "he was drawing this way at this period of time", because when I compares the start of his WW run with something he did just before (Babe 2), or when I compares the end of the WW run with something he did just after (New Gods), and inking his artwork himself (important point too, IMHO), I see no differences.

But IMHO, I see differences between the START and the END of his WW run. His artwork improved.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:50 AM, grapeape said:

Respectfully, with all this back and forth about Byrne or Bolland I want to point out that Corben was no slouch drawing gorgeous ladies. I always thought these Fantagor covers were wild. Is it possible this independent comic cover outsells the WW cover?

6568FE21-46DD-46B0-8E91-C988BFE591B4.jpeg.be54193ce3ea1d8fe19bab753ffc35eb.jpeg 

Totally possible.

That cover sold at HA for 48k in 2018... and anything great has basically tripled in price since then.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, grapeape said:

Respectfully, with all this back and forth about Byrne or Bolland I want to point out that Corben was no slouch drawing gorgeous ladies. I always thought these Fantagor covers were wild. Is it possible this independent comic cover outsells the WW cover?

6568FE21-46DD-46B0-8E91-C988BFE591B4.jpeg.be54193ce3ea1d8fe19bab753ffc35eb.jpeg 

I have never been a Corben fan

On 8/26/2022 at 1:03 PM, batman_fan said:

I have never been a Corben fan

I get it. The damsel in distress doesn’t exactly fit within the Peanuts Gang social circle. She’s old enough to be their teacher. You know, the one the kids can’t understand. Honestly if the woman on the cover talked to old grape ape, all he’d hear is “wah wah woh wah wah”

On 8/26/2022 at 1:30 PM, Ecclectica said:

For my part, I wouldn't try to compare Byrne's WW run and his Superman run. There is too much distance in time between the two. The visibles differences are the results of the common, natural evolution of the artist's artwork with time.

When you said "he consciously picked a different style for that work", I thought Byrne, maybe, had adopted a specific approach for this WW run I should know of. I suppose you wanted to say "he was drawing this way at this period of time", because when I compares the start of his WW run with something he did just before (Babe 2), or when I compares the end of the WW run with something he did just after (New Gods), and inking his artwork himself (important point too, IMHO), I see no differences.

But IMHO, I see differences between the START and the END of his WW run. His artwork improved.

I think part of the problem I have with his work was the inking. I just don't like how light it is, with a "scratchy" quality to it. That, combined with background clutter don't impress me. Are all of his pages subpar, IMO? No. He is an excellent artist and there are pages from his run whch are strong. But there are too many like these examples from CAF to show what I mean.

JOHN BYRNE - WONDER WOMAN Comic Art

Wonder Woman #104 pg20 Comic Art

Wonder Woman 105 page 10 Demon - John Byrne Comic Art