• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popular Things You Have No Interest In (Ignore Value)
2 2

52 posts in this topic

McSpidey (convoluted mess for the most part . . . I'm a fan of clarity in drawing)

Ross Andru

Gil Kane at Marvel (though I quite like his 1960s work for DC)

Sal Buscema

Rob Liefeld (difficult to take seriously after seeing his barrel-chested Captain America abomination)

Generally, a lot of the Moderns (though there are exceptions)

On 7/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, The Voord said:

McSpidey (convoluted mess for the most part . . . I'm a fan of clarity in drawing)

Ross Andru

Gil Kane at Marvel (though I quite like his 1960s work for DC)

Sal Buscema

Rob Liefeld (difficult to take seriously after seeing his barrel-chested Captain America abomination)

Generally, a lot of the Moderns (though there are exceptions)

Ross Andru and Sal are like 2 peas in a pod. They did their job, but lucked out on their assignments.

Kane is loved by some, but with rare exceptions, there is too much precise coldness in his work. Perfect for an outer space Green Lantern, but can you imagine him on GL/GA?

I like a lot of moderns, at least a little at a time. What I don’t like are pages which aren’t pencilled and inked or missing word balloons. The latter hurts the context, sometimes terribly, as art and text combine to tell the story. But in terms of freedom to tell a story and be creative, they far surpass the earlier urge to use those “classic six panels”. Only when they get carried away and start showboating their skills to take over the story do they bother me.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:59 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Rubinstein inked most of Daredevil #163 after a couple of Janson pages, and it looked pretty good.  What If #35 included a couple of pages that reprised layouts from DD #181, now inked by Terry Austin, but I didn't think they were an improvement.  I don't think Bob Wiacek's inking got good until after Miller's DD run had ended, and I didn't rate their collaboration on Marvel Team-Up #100.

What a memory! I forgot about #163! I didn’t recall Austin on What If 35 either, but great as Austin is I didn’t think the style would be a fit. 
I don’t have an MTU 100 anymore but I recall enjoying the book. I’ll have to look back at it. 
I was just trying to give some examples, but I’d like to see what those pages might have looked like under a less heavy hand. 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, kbmcvay said:

Are there things that are super popular you just aren't interested in? Take value out of the equation completely assume everything is worthless. Just think about it from a pure enjoyment you'd get from the art perspective.

Here are a few of mine.

4. Anything drawn by Rob Liefeld

Is Rob Liefeld art popular?  I thought people were buying his art ironically?

On 7/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, Mighty Hal said:

Tradd Moore art.

I personally don’t understand the popularity myself either but I don’t assail anyone for how they choose to spend their money…legally.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:35 AM, kbmcvay said:

Are there things that are super popular you just aren't interested in? Take value out of the equation completely assume everything is worthless. Just think about it from a pure enjoyment you'd get from the art perspective.

Here are a few of mine.

1. McSpidey

2. Anything drawn by Frank Miller

3. Watchmen

4. Anything drawn by Rob Liefeld

5. Anything drawn by Erik Larsen

These are all fine but I don't hold them in as a high as regard as most.

DFFF8F79-4F4B-41F3-97AB-7D4F540105AE.png.f41daaf41aa757c0ad042d585f6ff6bb.pngEverywhere I go, there’s always something to remind me ..... 🎶 

🍇 🦍 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, grapeape said:

DFFF8F79-4F4B-41F3-97AB-7D4F540105AE.png.f41daaf41aa757c0ad042d585f6ff6bb.pngEverywhere I go, there’s always something to remind me ..... 🎶 

🍇 🦍 

I was going to post that I'm not interested in NFT's but you expressed it better than I had planned lol.

on that topic, HA is getting into the NFT game

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3186+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294940833&ic=hero-NFTComics-ClickHeroImage-19153-060822

On 7/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, pkveronese said:

Gun heavy art. I've had art with prominent, realistic guns (i.e., not Liefeld guns) on the walls a couple of times and it killed the mood of the room. Sold or traded all of them over time.

I find this very interesting. I have a small collection of Punisher pages but I’d never display them. I also don’t buy violent kill pages with human viscera or pages that show violence or sexual assault against women.