• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out today, haven't gotten my copy yet...
3 3

102 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 6:19 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 7/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, szav said:

Thank you.  Quite the pile up for 66th place.

Overstreet forgot to include the Cap 46 Holocaust cover, or the scrum would have been even bigger

Actually, since the top of guide valuation for Cap 46 was pegged at $60K, I guess this would have slotted in at tied for #58 and dropped the big scrum down to the #67th spot.  hm

Then again, I guess rightfully adding in Cap 46 and A-Man 22 would have resulted in both Jumbo 1 and also possibly Planet 1 falling out of Overstreet's Top 100 listing for the year.  Clearly a sign of the times and the changing sentiment in the marketplace as it ooks like the early old guard #1 issues are starting to give way to more of the later classic cover books as time goes on.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/22/2022 at 12:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Actually, since the top of guide valuation for Cap 46 was pegged at $60K, I guess this would have slotted in at tied for #58 and dropped the big scrum down to the #67th spot.  hm

Then again, I guess rightfully adding in Cap 46 and A-Man 22 would have resulted in both Jumbo 1 and also possibly Planet 1 falling out of Overstreet's Top 100 listing for the year.  Clearly a sign of the times and the changing sentiment in the marketplace as it ooks like the early old guard #1 issues are starting to give way to more of the later classic cover books as time goes on.  :preach:

If you can find 2 more that they missed we can bump it down to 69... nice. 

On 7/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, buttock said:
On 7/22/2022 at 8:23 AM, tth2 said:

Does it worry anyone that Bob finally catching on to the massive rises in the market might be the ultimate bearish sign?

Kind of like Joe Main Street hearing about Bitcoin hitting $60k?

Don't tell Joe Main Street about BTC now...

That's what I mean.  By the time Joe Main Street hears about a great moneymaking scheme (or rather, has heard so much about it that he finally acts upon it), it's fleecing time! 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:23 AM, tth2 said:

Does it worry anyone that Bob finally catching on to the massive rises in the market might be the ultimate bearish sign?

Kind of like Joe Main Street hearing about Bitcoin hitting $60k?

My Uber driver told me that comic prices are only going to grow higher.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:23 AM, tth2 said:
On 7/21/2022 at 11:33 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess he was probably quite taken aback by all of the million dollar sales as his market report was focused pretty much entirely on all of the million dollar sales that took place so far in 2022 up to about April or May. 

To tell you the honest truth, I was actually shocked that Bob was talking about miilion dollar sales from 2022 in his market report when we were not even half way through 2022.  I half expected him to be talking about sales from 2020, let along 2021 or 2022.  :whatthe:  lol

As for these massive guide valuation increases being the ultimate bearish sign, it definitely brought back long lost memories of days gone by, as I immediately thought back to the big GA rush back in the mid-90's after the new book market had already crashed right through the floor.  Pulled out the guide for 1995/96 and took a quick look at the Top 100 GA Chart for that year and it looks completely different from the Top 100 Chart for this year from a percentage increase point of view.  Overstreet had pretty much implemented a broad based increase for a couple years back there where the overall increases for the Top 100 was running in the 30% plus range.  So broad in fact that there were only 3 books with single digit percentage increases out of the Top 100 (i.e. Comics Magazine 1 at 5% followed by both Marvel 1 and AA 16 at 8%) while there were 6 books with triple digit percentage gains topped by Mystery Men 1 at 305% as it had shot up from a measly $2,100 all the way to $8,500 in one giant leap for comic investors.  :whatthe:

Not surprsingly, with a huge increase like that on Mystery Men 1 which brought it right up there in the ballpark of market price at the time, that book in particular along with its Fox brethen cool back down almost immediately after that.  I guess comic book buyers like most other investors like to chase after and pay for things that are perceived to be undervalued with a lot of runway still to go, as opposed to chasing after things that are perceived to be fairly valued or dare we say possibly even overvalued.  If I remember correctly, the entire GA market generally cooled back down after those europhic 2 or 3 years, and then pretty much proceeded to do nothing until CGC arrived on the scene a few years later.  hm

If you take a look at the Top 100 for this year as posted above, note that the overwhelming majority of the percentage increases are still only in the single digits with only one triple digit percentage gainer, with that one being Fantastic 3 and just barely making it at exactly 100%.  Maybe by coincidence, he simply took Gator's advice from a few years ago when he said the way to fix Overstreet was to continue with the standard small increases for the majority of the GA books because they generally aren't doing too much and just target the Top 50 or Top 100 "shakers and movers" and increase those prices accordingly.  It's probably really more of a Top 200 or so, with the majority of these books sitting outside Overstreet's Top 100, but this more selective approach is definitely better and relatively more accurate and just might keep the bears at bay and the bulls running a bit longer.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, Crowzilla said:

So Bob is almost fully caught up to 2017 pricing on Seven Seas, got it.

And you almost had me convinced earlier that it was about time to buy a new copy.

Oh, come on now Sean......................you have to give poor old Bob a break here.  :bigsmile:

Especially since last year's guide was based upon 2012 prices, so he's jumped you ahead by 5 years and already saved you a lot of money.  lol

Seriously though, he's probably already up to 2019 when it comes to prices on Seven Seas, but probably still back at 2017 on Blue Bolt 105 with a lot of runway left to go.  Took a look at the small handful of low to mid-grade sales for BB 105 on Heritage and CC for 2021 and it looks like even with the new guide bumping up prices by some 187%, the books were still selling on Heritage and CC respectively at between 4X and 6.25X the new higher condition guide valuations.  :whatthe:

So, Seven Seas have been running for awhile in his guide valuation increases while Blue Bolt 105 just seems to be getting out of the starting blocks with quite a few years of increases already banked and ready to roll out over the ensuring years.  Don't you love how sly old Bob uses his guide valuations to nurture the vintage comic book market so that it seems to be steadily growing in an always positive upwards trajectory over the years.  hm  (thumbsu

As much as I appreciate the annual Overstreet Price Guide, it's history, forecasts and continued symbolic value to the community, as a reference guide for current values taking critical sales criteria into account it's the epitome of mediocrity. 

One of the things OPG doesn't do well is deciphering the ranking, importance and value of pedigrees in the marketplace.  

On 7/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, Crowzilla said:

So Bob is almost fully caught up to 2017 pricing on Seven Seas, got it.

And you almost had me convinced earlier that it was about time to buy a new copy.

It appears that only the top few books are accurately assessed at current market values with values progressively lagging as you get down the line. 
What will be interesting to see is if books in the genres poorly represented in this top 100 list (including GGA, PCH, Sci-Fi) appreciate at a greater rate than the top Superhero books. My sense is they are on a greater trajectory. 
Personally I’d rather own the top Baker, Frazetta, Cole books than many of the books on the top 100 list, although I would certainly enjoy owning any of the books on that list!

I've bought the limited edition HC the last few years, as a means of supporting the Hero Intiative. I wasn't planning on getting one this year, but when I saw they put out a Black Terror version I had to buy one. I've been requesting a BT cover for almost two decades. I don't particulary like the cover but it is the Black Terror cover I've been requesting.

Edited by shadroch

On 7/23/2022 at 9:34 AM, shadroch said:

I've bought the limited edition HC the last few years, as a means of supporting the Hero Intiative. I wasn't plannoing on getting one this year, but when I saw they put out a Black Terror version I had to buy one. I've been requesting a BT cover for almost two decades. I don't particulary like the cover but it is the Black Terror cover I've been requesting.

same here. Wasn't planning on buying the OSPG but the BT cover got me as well as color photos, but I wish they would have stuck with the original Black Terror. Black Terror covers are neglected especially the Exciting genre for whatever reason that befuddles me 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:04 AM, tth2 said:

That might be the case if people actually still based their pricing decisions on Overstreet.

I honestly can't remember the last time I referred to the Guide to determine a price.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, Courageous Cat said:

same here. Wasn't planning on buying the OSPG but the BT cover got me as well as color photos, but I wish they would have stuck with the original Black Terror. Black Terror covers are neglected especially the Exciting genre for whatever reason that befuddles me 

Anyone halfway serious about the hobby probably ceased using the guide for price points as the bay gained traction. Maybe it still is valuable to the dealer crowd for non key issues? 
I suppose it’s part nostalgia, but I still enjoy the guide. All the beautiful photos collected in one book are worth the price to me. I waffled on the cover this time, but ended up with the HC Gaines tribute version. 

On 7/23/2022 at 5:03 AM, whomerjay said:

What will be interesting to see is if books in the genres poorly represented in this top 100 list (including GGA, PCH, Sci-Fi) appreciate at a greater rate than the top Superhero books. My sense is they are on a greater trajectory. 

Well, from just taking a quick look at this year's edition of the guide, I would have to say that you are clearly on the same wavelength as Bob then.  (thumbsu

Especially since many of the key issues and in-demand classic covers for the genres you mentioned are showing strong double digit or even triple digit percentage gains, while most of the super-heros are showing only single digit percentage gains.  :gossip:

On 7/23/2022 at 6:34 AM, shadroch said:

I've bought the limited edition HC the last few years, as a means of supporting the Hero Intiative. I wasn't planning on getting one this year, but when I saw they put out a Black Terror version I had to buy one. I've been requesting a BT cover for almost two decades. I don't particulary like the cover but it is the Black Terror cover I've been requesting.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but if you indeed end up ordering the Limited Edition Hero Initiative cover version, you will be getting this cover version by Mike Grell and NOT the Black Terror cover version that you are hoping for:  :gossip:

https://blog.gocollect.com/hero-initiative-announces-exclusive-overstreet-price-guide-cover/

grell_overstreet Hero Initiative announces exclusive Overstreet Price Guide cover

I believe the Black Terror cover version is what's referred to as their Hall of Fame Edition and is available at your local comic shops, similar to both the Winter Soldier and EC Horror cover versions.  (thumbsu

On 7/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but if you indeed end up ordering the Limited Edition Hero Initiative cover version, you will be getting this cover version by Mike Grell and NOT the Black Terror cover version that you are hoping for:  :gossip:

https://blog.gocollect.com/hero-initiative-announces-exclusive-overstreet-price-guide-cover/

grell_overstreet Hero Initiative announces exclusive Overstreet Price Guide cover

I believe the Black Terror cover version is what's referred to as their Hall of Fame Edition and is available at your local comic shops, similar to both the Winter Soldier and EC Horror cover versions.  (thumbsu

I'm aware.