• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS 5 - TITLE TBD (TBD)
8 8

365 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, VintageComics said:

It's an outright statement that if people prefer to discuss gossip about celebrities to more a constructive discussion, I consider that a pathetic and fruitless endeavor. 

...but how is the content of the text messages that were released "gossip?" That's a factual thing, and if someone wants to call Majors a scumbag in this forum after reading those then they certainly can. It's part of the discussion of this movie as it's part of the process that could oust him as Kang and change the plotted course of upcoming Marvel movies. I wouldn't call that stuff "gossip." 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

...but how is the content of the text messages that were released "gossip?" That's a factual thing, and if someone wants to call Majors a scumbag in this forum after reading those then they certainly can. It's part of the discussion of this movie as it's part of the process that could oust him as Kang and change the plotted course of upcoming Marvel movies. I wouldn't call that stuff "gossip." 

We are deliberating the new evidence just as the jury is. 😉 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, Chip Cataldo said:
On 12/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, VintageComics said:

It's an outright statement that if people prefer to discuss gossip about celebrities to more a constructive discussion, I consider that a pathetic and fruitless endeavor. 

It may be factual, but my statement goes towards the desire to discuss the personal lives of people with such relish. It's something I've always disliked. The media can destroy the lives of innocent people when this gossip happens - again, Depp vs Heard - the general audience was initially split and Depp was a marked man, portrayed as an allegedly abusive partner until the trail vindicated him.

The allegations were so bad Hollywood dropped him before he was found to be innocent. This isn't concerning for anyone?

That innocent people face consequences for things they didn't even do? Have we gone insane?

Would you like people talking about your personal life and judging you that way openly on the internet?

It's the drive for people's need to judge before a fair trial and the insatiable need to know all the gory details before the trial that is the problem and it's all a psychological, social programming by social media, which drives people to crack-like addiction. 

It's just not good for society, and it's not good for the individual people who like a crack addiction need that stimulation and I can't even believe there is a contingent of people defending this abhorrent behavior. ???

20 years ago, pre social media we used to mock papers like the National Enquirer that promoted this stuff. Now we love it and gobble it up. The word pathetic is apt. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/12/2023 at 12:54 PM, VintageComics said:

Would you like people talking about your personal life and judging you that way openly on the internet?

It's happened right here, and back then it bothered me regardless if all the facts were presented or not.

Nowadays I couldn't care less who talks about me, where or what they talk about. I worry about myself, my family and my friends.

I realized I should shut out the noise and worry about what I can control, which is how I live my life and how I treat people.

So when I read those texts and call Majors a scumbag it's because I think that at the time of the post. I don't expect him to care at all even if he were to read it. He shouldn't.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

It's happened right here, and back then it bothered me regardless if all the facts were presented or not.

Nowadays I couldn't care less who talks about me, where or what they talk about. I worry about myself, my family and my friends.

I realized I should shut out the noise and worry about what I can control, which is how I live my life and how I treat people.

So when I read those texts and call Majors a scumbag it's because I think that at the time of the post. I don't expect him to care at all even if he were to read it. He shouldn't.

That's a great attitude to have now, and I have the same attitude but it still doesn't excuse poor behavior.

Gossip is poor, inexcusable, historically poor behavior and always will remain so, regardless of how society twists it. 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, VintageComics said:

That's a great attitude to have now, and I have the same attitude but it still doesn't excuse poor behavior.

Gossip is poor, inexcusable, historically poor behavior and always will remain so, regardless of how society twists it. 

I don't understand how you're conflating expressing an opinion based on something that you read into gossiping about someone. This isn't someone you know who works in your office, this is someone playing a character in a major motion picture that this thread topic subject is about. What if you're saying the same thing about Bill Cosby instead of Jonathon Majors? Then it's okay?

On 12/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, VintageComics said:

What gossip? This is reporting of the evidence presented.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Nobody said it was Heard vs. Depp, but thankfully INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY is not based on H vs D either. 

It's pretty sad that this movie forum has become the gossip forum and in some ways no better than the casher racks full of gossip rags and it's worse that people care so much about the gossip. 

I do agree, it is sad that people enjoy gossip so much. 

On that point alone, I think Jonathan Majors should be outright replaced because of the gossip surrounding him. As a respect to the art form and professionalism, he should step down while he sorts this thing out. 

He won’t though.

And that’s what gets me. I understand the need to fight for your integrity, and maybe stepping down would seem like admitting defeat? 

We can all agree though, that his drama will now, forever encircle the movies he is in, including the MCU. 

Rather than replacing him, resulting in him being a footnote comment when people watch these things 10 years from now, letting him disappear into the sands of time. He is going to be front and centre and potentially bury this whole franchise, permanently. 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I don't understand how you're conflating expressing an opinion based on something that you read into gossiping about someone. This isn't someone you know who works in your office, this is someone playing a character in a major motion picture that this thread topic subject is about. 

So you're saying the rules should be different for different people? 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

What if you're saying the same thing about Bill Cosby instead of Jonathon Majors? Then it's okay?

What is so difficult to understand? INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY is the only correct answer whether it's a family member, Satan or some anonymous person on the internet. 

On 12/12/2023 at 2:17 PM, D2 said:

I do agree, it is sad that people enjoy gossip so much. 

On that point alone, I think Jonathan Majors should be outright replaced because of the gossip surrounding him. As a respect to the art form and professionalism, he should step down while he sorts this thing out. 

You're proving my point. :wink:

Now replace Jonathan Majors with Johnny Depp. 

Someone should now be expected step down simply because a bunch of whiny people are talking about it all over the internet. Sounds about right for people today, and then they wonder why they can't have world peace? lol

People are quick to jump onto bandwagons until that bandwagon burns them.

Anyway, I'm not going to push the point any longer. I've established my points and people are free to be wrong if they choose to. Louder voices don't make an incorrect answer correct. 

On 12/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, VintageComics said:

So you're saying the rules should be different for different people? 

What is so difficult to understand? INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY is the only correct answer whether it's a family member, Satan or some anonymous person on the internet. 

Well, I'm not saying that how it should be but life today definitely is different rules for different people.

"Innocent until proven guilty" has nothing to do with having an opinion on someone when you factually know nothing about them. I'm not saying that is or is not rational, but it does happen and that's life today.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, VintageComics said:

You're proving my point. :wink:

Now replace Jonathan Majors with Johnny Depp. 

Someone should now be expected step down simply because a bunch of whiny people are talking about it all over the internet. Sounds about right for people today, and then they wonder why they can't have world peace? lol

People are quick to jump onto bandwagons until that bandwagon burns them

It’s no different than anyone in the public eye and with power and authority. 

I’m not arguing the innocent until proven guilty, but I do believe these matters should be handled in private out of respect for everyone involved. 

Further to your point, this has no business being front and centre focus to a bunch of whiny bandwagoners that can only focus on the negative gossip.

It stands good reason for the art form to be removed from the actors. Isn’t that what they are always arguing? They want to be the character, I’m playing a character, see me as this character… well no one can do that when your personal life dominates conversation.

He needs to go, just like how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard needed to go.

If I wanted to see a circus, I’d go to cirque du soleil 

On 12/13/2023 at 5:13 AM, D2 said:

It’s no different than anyone in the public eye and with power and authority. 

I’m not arguing the innocent until proven guilty, but I do believe these matters should be handled in private out of respect for everyone involved. 

Further to your point, this has no business being front and centre focus to a bunch of whiny bandwagoners that can only focus on the negative gossip.

It stands good reason for the art form to be removed from the actors. Isn’t that what they are always arguing? They want to be the character, I’m playing a character, see me as this character… well no one can do that when your personal life dominates conversation.

He needs to go, just like how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard needed to go.

If I wanted to see a circus, I’d go to cirque du soleil 

That's a great post, and I agree with everything you said now that I understand where you're coming from. 

I come from an older time and stuff like this back in the 70's when I was a kid didn't even blip on the radar of the audience. You'd get a mention or something in the news, but that was it. My parents wouldn't go on and on about it or seek it out afterward. 

Everyone complains about what the media is doing, while fully participating in what they complain about. lol

There's a dissonance there that's worth pointing out. Glad we could agree. 

On 12/12/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Please - when convenient of course - provide us unknowing minions with an itinerary of pre approved topics and bullet points for the manner in which we should discuss them. For we forget at times how fortunate we are to have here on the boards someone who is - wait for it - previously and presently in a relationship, has children, has and has had a job, (not sure if I should capitalize this next one) has paid his (assuming this is your preferred pronoun) bills and - again, wait for it - has life experience, i.e. knows lots of people and has perhaps gone on adventures. I dare say, you may have even read a few books. A few, like a couple, like a long time ago. Studied at the university of Dunning, with a post doc at Kruger State. No known philosophical equal.

Amen

I'll wait for the movie.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:48 PM, VintageComics said:

I come from an older time and stuff like this back in the 70's when I was a kid didn't even blip on the radar of the audience. You'd get a mention or something in the news, but that was it. My parents wouldn't go on and on about it or seek it out afterward. 

Just bleech your hair and call it done

grumpy-dana-carvey.gif.8eaf49c06a84461fb9f68db1ef365eec.gif

On 12/13/2023 at 12:54 AM, VintageComics said:

It may be factual, but my statement goes towards the desire to discuss the personal lives of people with such relish. It's something I've always disliked. The media can destroy the lives of innocent people when this gossip happens - again, Depp vs Heard - the general audience was initially split and Depp was a marked man, portrayed as an allegedly abusive partner until the trail vindicated him.

Depp's reputation in Hollywood was already tarnished previous to the trial, but despite that - the audience wasn't 'split' prior to the trial. Depp had been a huge celebrity for decades and had many celebrities show their support for him. At least until some of text messages were released, embarrassing them. Public support for him was much higher than for Heard.

And anyone who actually followed that trial and came out of it thinking Depp WASN'T abusive is blind. He wasn't VINDICATED from anything other than the AMOUNT of abuse alleged and the money awarded. He lost his lawsuit against the Sun in the UK over the allegations printed and despite winning a judgment amount against Heard, also had a judgment awarded against HIM that he had to pay her.

He WAS abusive.

The allegations were so bad Hollywood dropped him before he was found to be innocent. This isn't concerning for anyone?

Depp hadn't made a big movie since working on the last Pirates of the Caribbean in 2015. His drug use, erratic behavior, and overall weirdness had made him a bit worrisome. And despite all of that he still worked in some capacity. 

That innocent people face consequences for things they didn't even do? Have we gone insane?

Innocent? He did many of the things brought up in the trial.

Happens every day, unfortunately.

For celebrities it's part of the price they pay for making the wealth that they do. 

It's the drive for people's need to judge before a fair trial and the insatiable need to know all the gory details before the trial that is the problem and it's all a psychological, social programming by social media, which drives people to crack-like addiction. 

It's been going on long before social media. It's been going on long before any electronic media. 

It's just not good for society, and it's not good for the individual people who like a crack addiction need that stimulation and I can't even believe there is a contingent of people defending this abhorrent behavior. ???

Not sure who's 'defending' it, but it's been going on since books and newspapers were the only means of news. Someone has a trial, people discuss what they think. 

20 years ago, pre social media we used to mock papers like the National Enquirer that promoted this stuff. Now we love it and gobble it up. The word pathetic is apt. 

You've actually previously championed the Enquirer for having broken 'news stories before traditional news outlets have'.