• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS 5 - TITLE TBD (TBD)
8 8

365 posts in this topic

"In the criminal justice system..."

While provocation is not usually accepted as a complete defense for one's actions, (I cannot think of a single instance off the top of my head right now), provocation has been accepted by most courts as a mitigating circumstance and resulted in a reduction in charges.   For example, the most common use of provocation as a mitigating circumstance is if one kills their spouse upon discovering adultery where murder charges will often be reduced to manslaughter as the provocation of discovering the adultery spurs a heat of the moment reaction. 

Another off the top of my head example is in the case of systemic abuse where the abused reaches their limit and the next instance of verbal abuse results in a violent reaction.  Again, while it rarely if ever results in "innocence" it is taken into consideration as a mitigating circumstance. 

OOPSIES AND EDIT... I did some looking... on that whole internet thing. 

Buzz Aldrin was not charged for punching conspiracy theorist Bart Sibrel after Sibrel called Aldrin, "a coward, and a liar, and a thief."  However, the charges may have been chalked up to Aldrin "defending himself" against an aggressor.... but most likely due to his celebrity status.   There was also the more recent incient of when Tyson punched the guy who was harassing him on the plane.   Tyson was not charged. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/10/1097968803/mike-tyson-no-charges-punching-passenger

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, VintageComics said:

Social media gets the general public to overreact, or 'lean too far' in one direction.

How does social media get people to over react? It IS people and their opinions.

I've been called 'the great equivocator' here more than once but I can't help it, it's just how I see the world. If I see an overreaction I tend to try to pull in the opposite direction. 

Is social media making you over react?

Many people argue that the wheels of justice shouldn't spin differently for them and by that logic, nor should any other standards either. Decency is decent no matter who it's directed at. 

Is that what they argue? I think it's that the wheels of justice shouldn't work FOR them, just because they're rich.

On 12/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

Agree but I believe the interest in Major's case is more than just fodder for those with popcorn.  With Depp and Heard, there was only the weight of the Harry Potter prequels hanging in the balance as well as whether or not Disney could squeeze one more Pirates movie out of a franchise that was already winding down.   

There is a major interest here because a multi billion dollar film franchise pointed to Jonathan Majors, then announced to the public that he was their guy who would be the main antagonist for that multi billion dollar franchise moving forward.  Majors would be the big bad that was supposed to capture the next few billion from the public. 

Given the weaker reception of this last round of Marvel movies, Marvel and their movie fans want to know what is going to happen.  With the Majors case, I believe there is more at stake here when it comes to the movie front.  

I agree, I think if Marvel hasn’t already figured out a way to write him out of the future development, they are insane. 

And this is even if he is found innocent, which, to be honest, I hope he is. If he is found innocent, it just means he isn’t a POS woman beater, and this world is just an insignificantly safer place…

But regardless, Marvel needs some heat on their properties so my beloved X-Men and Wolverine IPs can live again!

I think it's a disservice to the way that the world works to blame it on masked code words to describe what's happening in a situation like this. 

Let's say YOU work for Pepsi Cola, at a big manufacturing plant in a moderate sized town. Not the city. But a town. You're a manager of... over 100 people on shift. You represent the company on the Chamber of Commerce. You're married and have 2 kids and are well-known in town. You go to church every Sunday and even work the BBQ stand at the yearly picnic. 

One day, a woman comes forward and claims she used to meet you in a hotel room, smoke crack with you, and have sex for money. WHILE you were married. She says you became physically abusive in the relationship.

The town is outraged. Why wouldn't they be? The guy is innocent until proven guilty, but they have a right to feel about it how they feel about it. 

The DA feels there is enough evidence to go forward with a court case against you.

The paper runs a story about it every day. It's on the local news. People have their opinions. 

Pepsi decides... to have you step down. They certainly don't want your behavior to reflect on THEM. 

Are they wrong? If you owned that business, how would you do it differently?

Remember - it's not just YOU that your decision impacts - but thousands of people who work for the company.

It's just the way the world works and has worked, long before there was social media and the internet.

A New York jury found Marvel actor Jonathan Majors guilty of assault in the third degree and guilty of harassment.

The verdict was reached by a six-person jury after roughly over four hours of deliberation spread across three days. Jonathan Majors, wearing a grey suit and black dress shirt and tie, sat with his attorneys, with family members and his girlfriend, Meagan Good, behind him as the verdict was read. He was found not guilty of one of the counts in assault in the third degree and not guilty of aggravated harassment in second degree.

Majors faced four charges of assault, aggravated harassment and harassment after he called 911 on March 25, when he said he found his ex-partner, Grace Jabbari, unconscious in their apartment. Police arrested Majors after finding apparent injuries on Jabbari, including a laceration behind her ear and a bruised and fractured finger. Majors pleaded not guilty to all charges. 

On 12/18/2023 at 3:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

There will be a significant number of people that are going to act surprised and I have a feeling they will be the ones still holding Avengers 8’s. 

Why they're still holding after the current Marvel track record is baffling. No one cares anymore.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mephisto said:

And officially fired by Marvel. Hated his performance in Loki.

Just saw that.

Marvel Studios has parted ways with Jonathan Majors — the actor cast to play Kang, the central antagonist in the Multiverse Saga of the Marvel Cinematic Universe — after he was convicted on Dec. 18 of two misdemeanor counts of harassment and assault of Grace Jabbari, his ex-girlfriend. A source close to the studio confirmed the decision to Variety.

In the verdict, Majors was also found not guilty of one count of intentional assault in the third degree and one count of aggravated harassment in the second degree.

The actor was arrested on March 25 on assault and harassment charges, after Jabbari accused Majors of assaulting her in the backseat of a private car after she took his phone to read a text message he’d received from another woman. Jabbari alleged that Majors forcefully retrieved his phone from her, causing an “excruciating” injury to her right middle finger, and when she exited the car, Majors hit her on the back of her head and then tried to force her back into the car, causing a cut behind her right ear.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, drotto said:

Beat me too it. Just saw this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/18/entertainment/jonathan-majors-trial-verdict/index.html

So crisis meeting tonight at Disney, and how many scripts and projects will be u deriving a complete overhaul tomorrow?

Slow down. We still need to wait for official authorization for this topic.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:00 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

@VintageComics@VintageComics @VintageComics

Three times to summon, right? :nyah:

waiting-for-call.gif.f30668c4af69df8a638c2593e6269267.gif

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685

On 12/18/2023 at 5:25 PM, VintageComics said:

Innocent until proven guilty, right?

He was found guilty on the more minor charges and was exonerated of the more sever assault charges.  He still faces up to 1 year in prison during  sentencing in February.