• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ReHolder service IS a slice-out
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

In case you were wondering, Ask CGC confirmed that the ReHolder service is a replacement of all plastic. The book is unsealed, resealed in new plastic, and placed in a new outer holder.

There is no option to swap only the outer holder.

Edited by KirbyTown

Why would you not want to replace the inner well?

Just because they redo the inner well doesnt mean they technically regrade it, but to that point:

You're not going to find only the outer replacement because on any reholder because they have to inspect the book, that's not considered a regrade unless damage has occurred.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

But its appreciated that you clarify that they have to take it out of the inner well completely to "inspect" it!

I was pretty sure of it, but nice to confirm it. :)

I have some mechanical error that I wont go into detail here, but isnt shipping, even though its marked as shipped, because I called and now they are "rechecking the recheck!" So idk exactly what is up. :pullhair:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

This is a good opportunity to provide clarification/definition of the "inner" and "outer" holder. So, here are the questions:

(1) What is the holder? The inner or outer?

(2) If it's the inner, then what's the outer called? And vice versa.

(3) Can you have only the outer replaced?

(4) "The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly." Does this included any damage incurred during the de-encapsulation? As in the dreaded finger bends? 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

This is a good opportunity to provide clarification/definition of the "inner" and "outer" holder. So, here are the questions:

(4) "The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly." Does this included any damage incurred during the de-encapsulation? As in the dreaded finger bends? 

Since I've already stuck my neck out I'll attempt it.

Holder consists of an inner that holds the comic in place, which is then placed in the outer to give it sturdiness.

The inner and the outer sometimes touches, which causes newton rings.

A reholder is just that, so there is no confusion I assume because it is called a "reholder" yall are wonder what consists of a "holder?" A holder is a proper term for a slab, the holder is the whole thing.

So no paid service will only do "part of the work or service" and the whole thing has to be redone. Where I was coming from was mechanical errors ???

Where sometimes it is just a label that needs correcting. The label is apart of the outer holder, so while I had called about mine idk what cgc is doing. They corrected the online Notes, and presumably got the label right, but under tracking it didnt show it so I called. Now they are rechecking the recheck. :pullhair:

So idk. But mechanical errors are not a paid service so there is no clarification  @CGC Mike

Damage is damage. If the book no longer looks the grade the label has its regraded.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

1) The holder is usually called the Slab which encompasses both the outer plastic case (outer well) and the inner polyethylene (inner well). The holder is both, it is one product with two parts

2) The outer plastic shell which you can touch is called the outer well, inside of that the inner polyethylene sleeve which the comic is directly sealed in is called the inner well

3) it sounds like every reholder always involves removing the book from the inner well since the book needs to be inspected for damage

4) Yes of course it should include ANY damage, whats the alternative? "oh I accidentally spilled water on the book, but it happened while I was removing it from the slab so lets just say its 9.8 anyway". If you send in an already slabbed book to CGC to be reholdered, or to get a sig and then reholdered, then u take the risk of damage occurring while they're removing it

On 7/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, Gaard said:

I've done lots of reholders because I wanted a newer case/label. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the slab. Why would the comic need to be inspected?

Bureaucracy is my guess, its probably just a standardized set of steps that they make every reholder go through

On 7/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Gaard said:

I've done lots of reholders because I wanted a newer case/label. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the slab. Why would the comic need to be inspected?

Because it was out of cgc care, the cgc guarantee doesnt include when it's not at cgc, slabbed or not. Simple enough

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I inquired because some people are mentioning that their books have been coming back with new blemishes or new grades after being ReHoldered. The general question is "why would swapping an outer holder cause damage to the comic?" The answer is "It wouldn't."

The CGC product is two pieces. The sealed book and the outer case that it lays in.

The sealed comic is essentially a blister package like those impossible-to-open products that hang from the pegs. You would have to work hard to damage the edges of a sealed comic, yet those were parts that seemed to be getting damaged.

The possibility of new damage makes sense since the ReHolder includes a book unsealing. Here are some pics of what that might look like:

12AE4CD0-587C-468B-A0A8-933919D978D2.jpeg.c9a146941fe30d9ec2eff6dc456e6fa6.jpeg4E0B0810-1225-4F44-80D1-0E5FA3C5670A.jpeg.b1beb41f0892a2bf335cd45ce313b88d.jpeg574D106A-01E0-4B47-8B38-7200B8129D34.jpeg.084791f89d702ee92dd21145d00bda00.jpeg5F56C283-8EC8-4D2E-BB2B-854916266F55.jpeg.173ab7ab975eb37d6ab67f5fc013547e.jpeg

If it's possible to replace only a blemished outer case, then many people would prefer that the comic remain sealed.

(update: swapping only the outer holder is not an option)

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

I inquired because some people are mentioning that their books have been coming back with new blemishes or new grades after being ReHoldered. The general question is "why would swapping an outer holder cause damage to the comic?" The answer is "It wouldn't."

The CGC product is two pieces. The sealed book and the outer case that it lays in.

The sealed comic is essentially a blister package like those impossible-to-open products that hang from the pegs. You would have to work hard to damage the edges of a sealed comic, yet those were parts that seemed to be getting damaged.

The possibility of new damage makes sense since the ReHolder includes a book unsealing. Here are some pics of what that might look like:

12AE4CD0-587C-468B-A0A8-933919D978D2.jpeg.c9a146941fe30d9ec2eff6dc456e6fa6.jpeg4E0B0810-1225-4F44-80D1-0E5FA3C5670A.jpeg.b1beb41f0892a2bf335cd45ce313b88d.jpeg574D106A-01E0-4B47-8B38-7200B8129D34.jpeg.084791f89d702ee92dd21145d00bda00.jpeg5F56C283-8EC8-4D2E-BB2B-854916266F55.jpeg.173ab7ab975eb37d6ab67f5fc013547e.jpeg

If it's possible to replace only a blemished outer case, then many people would prefer that the comic remain sealed.

It's not possible tmk.

That seems like an abrupt answer so that's why I tried to elaborate, so here I go again.

Scuffs happen to the inner well as well, the ones reported for years here. They get little divots and etc that catch dirt, they got hair and etc as well.

If you could possibly inspect an inner well for these defects, I assume it would sound like an arrogant answer.

I'm not cgc so I don't know their response, I should leave it all alone and give the first sentence not because I'm harsh, but because I can't answer for a company.

Does it sound simple to do? Yes, have there been reasons why they don't? Yes all laid out for you. Do they need to be the one to tell you. Sounds like it. @CGC Mike

I only know what they've said and told me personally.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bare in mind that I'm here in Texas 😂

That explains a lot right there. 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, Cat said:

That explains a lot right there. 

:cheers:lol

I was wondering if I was being rude. Lately I've answered questions WITH questions and sometimes that can seem abrasive. Idk I thought since no one posted again I had either answered the question or as you said, "been from Texas!"  :roflmao:

Anyhoo, the thread was an interesting thought and idea, I wish of it was practical that it could be done, but figured it wasnt possible and was just trying to be clear about it. :sorry:

On 7/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, Gaard said:

Books can be damaged inside of a holder and often are during shipping. They call it SCS—shaken comic syndrome. You should never assume that a book's grade is the same as when it was slabbed. Always inspect every book you buy. The page quality can deteriorate inside a holder, too.

However, damage is even more likely to occur during reholdering or regrading than during shipping.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I thought that this was common knowledge...

Common knowledge is not so common any more lol .. the PC word for common knowledge is “understanding of general information that should be understood by the vast majority” 

lol just messing around… hope all is well 

Here is an example of a book that was damaged while still in the case. Heritage listed this book in an auction in the spring of 2020 and then pulled it and had it re-graded when the damage was pointed out. It went from a 9.2 to a 4.0.

I am posting this example just so that people understand that the damage that can occur in the case can be significant.

LargeFeature#8.jpg

LargeFeature#8After.jpg

On 7/29/2022 at 5:49 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Books can be damaged inside of a holder and often are during shipping. They call it SCS—shaken comic syndrome. You should never assume that a book's grade is the same as when it was slabbed. Always inspect every book you buy. The page quality can deteriorate inside a holder, too.

However, damage is even more likely to occur during reholdering or regrading than during shipping.

I meant to say that slight damage occurs more frequently during regrading and reholdering because that process includes handling of the raw comic.

Severe damage, like the damage to the Large Feature Comic above, is more likely to occur during shipping or pressing.