• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 7:13 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Although in reality CGC already has done this in the past with those preview inserts that have been removed from books and graded as if they were separate books. 

I don't recall if this was ever officially addressed.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, Iceman399 said:

Since our first variant sold out almost instantly to Greggy.  We are launching our second one!  This time we've taken a sheet of printer paper and attached it to an old book found in the dollar bins.  But wait here's where it gets fun...the number of staples added AFTER manufacturing will vary!  Did you get 1 or 9 extra staples.  Collect them all!

image.png.0adb23bbd20d6faac7e26b8eaabaa304.png

Could you sell them as an exclusive  at the Toronto Comic Con?  I can't wait to fly East to line-up for these.  Hope greggy isn't there ahead of me....

On 8/8/2022 at 7:37 PM, Atomic Ponkie said:

Does this mean they could be taken to court by Marvel? 

No. The Black Flag guy said they made sure not to include anything copyrighted. 

He bought the books last year. They were his to do what he wanted with. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:43 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Marvel isn't going to sign off on someone altering books and then using their name and characters to push a message or make a statement. Marvel is not going to be happy that someone attached an acetate with the words "in god we trust" to their book and is selling it at a very large convention. That is an entirely different animal than simply approving commissioned artwork to be used for a retailer/convention variant. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Not entirely how that works. You can't buy a comic, draw whatever you want, and sell it as an exclusive without approval from Marvel. They were ok'd to make the original but changing anything and trying to sell it as something new at a markup isn't going to fly.

Edited by jhenry30

On 8/8/2022 at 6:47 PM, darkstar said:

Marvel isn't going to sign off on someone altering books and then using their name and characters to push a message or make a statement. Marvel is not going to be happy that someone attached an acetate with the words "in god we trust" to their book and is selling it at a very large convention. That is an entirely different animal than simply approving commissioned artwork to be used for a retailer/convention variant. 

They even screwed that up..it says "In God We Intrust"

On 8/8/2022 at 3:11 AM, godzilla43 said:

Nice video. Nothing wrong with this "variant" and nothing wrong with influencers, shops.. buying huge stacks of these. Everyone is just a hater :D:D

Funny thou like mentioned here this all started from one exhibitor being mad that he did not get one even thou he was in the line before even VIP access opened. Does anybody care for the normal attendees?!? What is the point of buying VIP tickets to these conventions?!? Maybe there is some additional benefits but getting those low print exclusives definitely ain't one of those.

I was thinking the same thing. Sadly there’s only one decent show in my area—Little Giant Show—and they charge extra for early admission, and even then I hear multiple  dealers gloating about what they scooped up before the doors opened.

I don’t care about variants, but if an exclusive is advertised, then it should be available to those who paid to attend rather than the dealers and influence-flippers.

Edited by thewritestuff