• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Nerdy girl

she has a pic like this but it’s full of silver and golden age books

Remember, if you disagree, you be talkin shiet

On 8/8/2022 at 10:28 PM, BriD. said:

Really? Can you share anything that says that? The way the guy from Black Flag was talking in the now removed Facebook video, it seemed he just wanted to sell out so he didn't lose money. I don't remember him saying anything about veterans. If he really was doing this to benefit veterans I think he would have led with that. I admit I didn't watch the entire video but I think I watched the whole thing before he started to talk about Boston. 

My mistake, I may have misremembered it as veterans.  It was a discussion amongst veterans I was reading.  But apparently it's a "tribute to fallen heroes".   Hence the folded flag. 

Someone asked what it had to do with USA.  I suppose the American flag should have been clue enough. 

How do you grade an acetate variant that has the acetate cover taken off?  Is it graded as...

1.  The original non-acetate variant in a lower grade due to a couple extra staple holes?

2.  A non-blue label or 0.5 blue label grade for the acetate variant version?

... and how do you know which of the options is correct?

On 8/9/2022 at 4:09 AM, Neville T Howard said:

Well.

looks like the time is finally right for me to resubmit this for a blue label, with a “remarqued” notation. 

Also, edge isn’t trimmed anymore. I prefer “comic size reimagined” 

47D34E9D-7002-45EF-A5C3-2EA1C0FD9DE2.jpeg

:makepoint:

On 8/9/2022 at 1:29 AM, Beige said:

Waffle waffle

Who is this guy?  'Marvel insist on a 3000 print run for all variants' - eh?

Yeah. Apparently, that is their requirement for producing store variants. A store can say it’s limited to 750 but there were 3000 printed. Some books get their covers ripped off and are trashed. Others end up in those Walmart 3 packs here in the states. 

Edited by awakeintheashes
judging myself for the wrong there, their, they're

On 8/9/2022 at 6:13 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah. Apparently, that is their requirement for producing store variants. A store can say it’s limited to 750 but there were 3000 printed. Some books get there covers ripped off and are trashed. Others end up in those Walmart 3 packs here in the states. 

its 3k minimum print run for 1st cover and 1k for each additional cover, which is why you see so many store do a 3k trade dress version and a 1k virgin version. marvel is very strict on this rule. if you ever see a 1 cover book with less than 3k print run the store is lying to you, for example the Mandalorian #3 mayhew just sold saying it was limited to 800. he in fact bought 3k of those

Edited by williamblood

On 8/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, captainzombie said:

This bothers me and I like his content too. Gem acts like this is no big deal. He is getting some of his fanbase turning on him in the comments.

Of course he has to defends his fellow influencers. LOL

Edited by Lpgk

"Keep It Thoro" (a small comic shop owner in VA) has the 'nads and some receipts to call the "influencers" out.

He went on for hours w/ different guests  allowing other points...but just view a little of the beginning you see he's not afraid to take them on.

Edited by CJ Design

CGC did not need this so soon after the Bad Idea shenanigans. 

Now, thing is, you can photocopy a cover and they'll accept it for grading, while noting it's a photocopied cover. Yet this went through as legit (it's not) and with very high grades as applicable (no deduction for the addition of the cover or the extra staples). Huh? That's not the consistency I'd expect from CGC in their better days. Very disappointing, and just plain perplexing. 

Edit: Needless to say, if these have to be allowed to be graded, they should be in GREEN slabs. 

Edited by Cat