• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

So you are saying we are sexist for calling out unethical behavior because a woman was possibly one of the people involved?

I'm not saying she was involved. I've purchased an Action Comics 26 from Danielle and she's a wonderful seller.

Black Flag Comics are to blame for allowing the situation to happen and CGC for slabbing a bootleg.

Edited by D84

On 8/9/2022 at 12:39 PM, stynxno said:

I like Danielle and I've always had an awesome professional encounter with her. In our sales, her grading is always on point and her packing/response rate is fantastic. When I came back to comics a couple of years ago, I stumbled into the little community she was building on instragram and whatnot. I appreciate what she's trying to do - expanding the diversity of the comicbook community while having to deal with the BS associated with simply being a woman in comics. The amount of energy she has to spend dealing with misogyny is ridiculous though, before this C2E2 stuff, her what not sales seemed like one for the few places where folks could just be themselves. The comic community is, in my experience, small but isn't tight-knit. Instead, it's full of different smaller communities and those who are fine just collecting/reading/etc. Danielle has been intentionally doing what folks do online now - moving beyond social media and into simply nurturing a community. I doubt there's anything she could say/type/share that would get everyone degrading her to stop. She's a woman in the comic community and, imo, some believe that gives them permission to attack/insult/etc.  The mere performance/presence of femininity isn't permission for folks to behave the way they have. It is totally possible for folks to critique the whole situation (aka why this not-a-variant exists in the first place, how variants at cons are sold, wtf cgc was doing giving this book a blue label) while, at the same time, reflecting on how we would be reacting if was a white-man with Danielle's length as a comic dealer tied up in this situation.  

I'm taking too long to write this - so hopefully CGC hasn't posted their update before I wrote this. To me, this wouldn't be the big deal it's become for the last few days online (youtube, whatnot, instagram, this website and others) if it wasn't for the fact that CGC gave these a universal label and that at least one very online woman was involved. 

karmi-wearing-dungarees.gif.32b3f02be2770a76902a61456672428f.gif

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think we all know what the real issue with this variant is. For an "In God We [In]Trust" variant, it's just not suburban kitcschy enough for the USA.

So I have an idea for the next one. UF4 is very popular, but not as popular as this book…

image.png.c8b7974d3761b1fc76672146aa415afb.png

But Hulk 181 has problems. What's that background? The Canadian Wilderness? Wolverine may be Canadian, but the Hulk isn't! And Marvel isn't! So it needs a proper AMERICAN upgrade.

And who screams "AMERICAN!" more than Thomas Kincaid. Bonus! We already know that the Disney corp is okay with mashing up its characters on his drek. (https://thomaskinkade.com/art-genre/disney-images/)

Here's a proper AMERICAN background:

image.png.2312b0cca82eb4d898cbb73b5d44fbd3.png

Just gotta cut some holes out in the acetate, and voila:

image.thumb.jpeg.031a71f3fd8ee0afd83638983a4e660c.jpeg

How come Wendi gets left out???

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think we all know what the real issue with this variant is. For an "In God We [In]Trust" variant, it's just not suburban kitcschy enough for the USA.

So I have an idea for the next one. UF4 is very popular, but not as popular as this book…

image.png.c8b7974d3761b1fc76672146aa415afb.png

But Hulk 181 has problems. What's that background? The Canadian Wilderness? Wolverine may be Canadian, but the Hulk isn't! And Marvel isn't! So it needs a proper AMERICAN upgrade.

And who screams "AMERICAN!" more than Thomas Kincaid. Bonus! We already know that the Disney corp is okay with mashing up its characters on his drek. (https://thomaskinkade.com/art-genre/disney-images/)

Here's a proper AMERICAN background:

image.png.2312b0cca82eb4d898cbb73b5d44fbd3.png

Just gotta cut some holes out in the acetate, and voila:

image.thumb.jpeg.031a71f3fd8ee0afd83638983a4e660c.jpeg

need a Canadian variant since Wolverine is Canadian

maybe a moose, greggy and snow

• Administrator

Here is the official response from CGC regarding how we graded the books.

We apologize for the short response yesterday and wanted to follow up with an explanation of our thought process behind the grade assignments. We treated them as we would any other variant cover that's attached with an extra set of staples after the book was printed, and at times these books included the original cover as well.

There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC. An example is Stray Dogs #1 from last year. An acetate variant cover was attached with an extra set of staples, to which CGC assigned a Universal grade and a notation of “acetate cover” on the label. The extra set of staples were part of the manufacturing process of attaching the acetate cover, and not considered a defect.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here is the official response from CGC regarding how we graded the books.

We apologize for the short response yesterday and wanted to follow up with an explanation of our thought process behind the grade assignments. We treated them as we would any other variant cover that's attached with an extra set of staples after the book was printed, and at times these books included the original cover as well.

There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC. An example is Stray Dogs #1 from last year. An acetate variant cover was attached with an extra set of staples, to which CGC assigned a Universal grade and a notation of “acetate cover” on the label. The extra set of staples were part of the manufacturing process of attaching the acetate cover, and not considered a defect.

That’s it?  :tonofbricks: